Keyword

TOPIC:

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 5 months ago #69258

I like chistmas movies as well.
But hate horror and zombie movies.

Over the last year I have been watching all episodes of Highway to heaven and some of The little house on the prarie.
Strangely lately I have a thing for Michael Landon for some reason. But I've heard he was notorousley difficult to work with.
And Victor French was perfect as his co star in both those series.
They both left this world way too early.

I recently also watched F&F Hobbs and Shaw on the telly for the first time and I did like it.
What made my day was those hot rod trucks in that movie.
I want to build something like that tow truck in the future.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 5 months ago #69261

I've watched all but the latest season of Death in Paradise, me, my wife and my grandson watch it.  I'm at season 8 of Walking Dead, I haven't watched it since before lockdown. My wife hates horror or zombie stuff so I have to watch it when she isn't about. Started watching Fear the Walking Dead too but can't remember where I got to with that show.

Good zombie movies/tv shows are some of my favourite.  So Walking Dead, Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead (and of course Shawn of the Dead), Zombieland, Cockneys v's Zombies and Zomboat (low-grade, but total crackups), etc...... and I nearly went nuts when the zombies appeared in Game of Thrones!
I'm not into B-Grade or Shlock Horror, even if it is zombie related.
Wife and I first started dating during S2 of Walking Dead, and was surprised when she sat down and enjoyed it.
I enjoyed the first 3 Seasons of Fear the Walking Dead, but it just kind of goes downhill from there.
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, jord001

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 5 months ago #69291

Been watching  Blake's 7, first on dailymotion.com & now on DVD ... bit of a mixed blessing TBH, the better sound is a big bonus, but although you'd think better quality video would be too, it does tend to highlight the nearly square 1970s TV format, and the ropy sets & props. 

I just finished season one, episode 10, which featured a a great leap forward in space exterior exterior effects by using actual models, rather than cutouts against very trippery backgrounds :D

I can't really remember the first two seasons from the first time around, I suspect I was too young for the mid-evening TV slots, season 3 (where it all went a bit leather fetishist, apparently) and season 4 (where it went darker still, and the 3-legged Enterprise flying backwards was replaced with something a lot more Battlestar Galactica) were more of my time.   

For anyone familiar with the end of season 4, let my tell you my theory - Avon ducked & got away ;)

Overall, although it's very flawed in many, many ways and it really shows it's 70s Dr Who links, it did at least show sci-fi could be a bit dark, and didn't have to wrap up everything in the one episode with everyone (everyone not expendable, anyway) back safe in a "comedic" epitaph. 

It's uncanny how much the first two seasons of Red Dwarf has in common with it :blink: 
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, jord001, mirrorman

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 5 months ago #69292

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
I’ve always wanted to re- watch Blake’s 7.
Good story line, but limited by the technology of the day.
But it should never be remade.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 4 months ago #69596

Lucky to have Blake's 7 on BritBox here,  video and sound are clear and clean. 
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, jord001

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 4 months ago #69597

@jord001 - I love Death In Paradise.  Even though I've seen each season before, it's a go to when I can find anything else to watch. 

Last edit: by mirrorman.

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 4 months ago #69598

I watch a lot of Japanese anime .. subtitled ofcourse . I have a yearly subscription to Crunchyroll , so I can stream new series as they get released. 

Also have started to watch - Wanted Dead or Alive.
An early Western TV series with Steve McQueen. I recall vaguely being on television here, but was too young to watch it.  

If you get a chance try the link I've posted below to Uncle Earl's TV . The site has a ton of old TV shows and is free .. that's where I watching Wanted Dead or Alive. 

www.solie.org/a...index.html

Attachments:

Last edit: by mirrorman.

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 4 months ago #69601

Currently watch Vera and Shetland (about to start Season 6 so no spoilers :))

Been waiting forever for Happy Valley Season 3 here in the States.....
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, mirrorman

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 4 months ago #69610

Finished Blake's 7, mostly watched on my PC monitor as that's the same size as the "big" TV I saw it on originally - and it doesn't stand up to the sort of scrutiny an average, modern TV puts it through. As it was, only a couple of instance of wobbly sets/props really stuck out.

Some more observations:

I don't think I saw any of season one or two when it was first broadcast, and only really remember the first and last episodes of season 3. Probably past my bedtime :whistle: 
Season 4 (with the different opening sequence & credit music) was much more familiar - I would have been 8/9 in 1981 & IIRC it was broadcast earlier in the evening.

You wouldn't get away with that level of casual misogyny any more. Though, just like most if not all modern "dystopian futures" it gets quite rapey at times.

The ending (spoilers) still seems out of the blue & is weak - enemy fire which was inaccurate and ineffectual against the principle characters for the previous 51 & 7/8ths episodes  suddenly becomes the opposite.

I'm watching a few other things ATM, nothing really stands out. There are a few things I've watched a few episodes  - or even many - before realising that I'm not really being entertained. If I want unrelenting misery and violence, I'll watch the news instead :whistle:  
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, mirrorman

Things I like to watch on the screen 2 years 3 months ago #70188

Slot car rally stage with realistic snow :)

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001, Ducksnuts

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.