Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

PPE (personal protective equipment) suggestions 5 years 8 months ago #51280

Not something we talk abut much here, though it does have some relevance for working on RC. I know it can be an inconvience, it's not in the least bit macho or even cool to use it - but as I get older I do find myself using it more, even for those "2 minute" jobs where it's very tempting not to bother.

Anyway, this is the stuff I've been using recently. Ebay widgets are for illustration, not necessarily recommending particular suppliers.

3m 4251 face mask (Gas / Vapour and Particulate Respirator)

15 to 20 GBP depending on supplier/quantity.

Latex free according to the packaging.
Straps do seem to adjust themselves loose, but easy to tighten up again, catch on lower strap a bit awkward to undo to remove mask.
I generally get something akin to claustrophobia with masks, but while I'm focussing on doing something I don't have to much of a problem with this one. I don't think most people wouod notice the slightly restricted flow TBH.
Soft rubbery edges seem to cope well with a modest amount of stubble. A lot of masks make my glasses steam up on exhalation, not a problem with this one though.

So far I've "tested" with:
- Hycote primers (including the particularly stinky red oxide), their 250ml automotive acrylic sprays and their more generic 400ml sprays (Satin Black being particularly stinky again);
- Tamiya PS aerosols
- airbrushing PC and X/XF acrylics diluted with X20A thinner (water, IPA & other solvents in small amounts);

... and found no issues with smell of dust getting through - so no paint fume induced headaches or multicolour bogies since I've been using it.

Not sure what it's life span will be.

Sealey SSP301 Protective Over-Spectacles

Typically 7 GBP (Other brands (3M), pseudo brands, and ubranded versions available, some much cheaper).

Eye protection that fits over glasses - especially those that merely sit on your face rather than feel like something from a Jules Verne novel is trying to suck it off - is a bit thin on the ground and lways a bit of a compromise. While these improve protection from the sides, they still leave more of a gap top and bottom than I'd like.

Next time I'll try a Bolle pair for a couple of quid more as they look to provide a bit more cover .

Polyco/Bodyguards Powder Free Blue Nitrile (and/or Powder Free Vinyl) Disposable Gloves

6 or 7 GBP per box (50 pairs).

Sizing is something of a compromise, "Large" (8.5) are a bit of a tight fit on the palms, but still a bit long on the fingers for me so I don't want to go up a size TBH ... Vinyl gloves do have a habit of tearing at the bottom of the palms when I'm putting them on. Nitrile are a better fit for me There's no discernable difference in performace with Purple or Black versions despite higher cost. I haven't tried the Pink.

Both sorts are reasonably effective are dealing with ordinary oils, grease etc and from keeping paint off your fingers and nails during spraying. They seem to cope with caustic soda (with caution). Grafitti Remover seems to go right through the Nitrile gloves like their porous, and it quickly destroys them too ... even tripling up it still gets through to the skin in fairly short order. (Regular rubber gloves + the vinyl don't work any better though).

Dispoable plastic oversleeves

C. 5 GBP for 100 (50 pairs)

Adds a bit of splash/drift protection to the lower arms, useful for protecting sleeves when doing a quick bit of spraying. If you put them on gloves, they help close the cuffs up - but not to the point of being proof against immersion.
I found that condensation builds up very rapidly, even if not doing very much on a mild day.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:PPE (personal protective equipment) suggestions 5 years 8 months ago #51281

I got me a Dräger Xplore with A2P3 R D filter and P3s.
When using PS paint I still have the idea it doesn't filters all of it. But got a quite sensitive nose.

Also have some 3M FFP2/P3 single use mask those are on sale every now and then at Aldi.

The Dräger ist quite comfy. But I mainly use it outside.

And a nice box to keep it clean.

And it improves looks
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re:PPE (personal protective equipment) suggestions 5 years 8 months ago #51285

Black or green nitril gloves work well with caustic soda. And I have the same 3m mask wich works fine with my glasses and my nose problems (ultra sensitive nerves).
For spectacles I tend to use thin protective spectacles. And I wear old clothes wich I use for mechanics to.

PPE (personal protective equipment) suggestions 2 years 11 months ago #66487

I've "retired" my first 3M 4251 mask, more because I felt I ought to due to age, any whiff of solvent probably being due to not shaving rather than the filters being saturated...

However, it did get some build up of pigment (especially green for some reason) so I bought a 10 pack of 400+ Overspray Guards & fitted one to my "spare" 4251 mask before using it.

I also bought a new mask to keep as a spare - this time a 4251+ as it was the cheaper than the lowest price 4251 I could find ATM (19.50 GBP). The basic structure is the same (and the filters, I think) but the plug in nose/exit valve part is different (bigger), and it came in a box (with sealed metallised film inner bag).

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

PPE (personal protective equipment) suggestions 2 years 11 months ago #66489

Nice one Jonny. is the 4251 + the one you can get replacement filters for? I've not looked at any of them lately. 
I think their "shelf life" if for best protection but they will be ok for ages afterward. I was told If you can't smell the fumes its working. 
I've got the "disposable" 6941 but its a couple of years old now. Still seems to work as I can't smell any 2k paint or thinner when I tried it last.  as a precaution I replaced it with a 3M 7000 series half face mask as a more permanent solution and has replacement filter cartridges. it's comfortable for me and it works great. Filters are relatively cheap. 
I keep mine in a sealed bag inside a sealed box. Had trouble getting filters for the 7000 a while back but I only order when I need new ones. 
Regards

Lee

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.