Keyword

TOPIC:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53238

As the title says i started workng on this wonderful 1:1 car this summer.

This 'Stang has a very long story....

When i was younger, so around 14, we moved to south america with my family. My dad is from there and he thought it would be nice to go back to the roots and expand our (my brother's and mine) vision. He found a great job there and my mom started working as a teacher over there in the Swiss school where we went to school.

At that time he bought that car used and since it has always been in the family. Once i finished school over there, i moved alone in Switzerland for my studies while my parents stayed over there, where they actually are enjoying their retirement.
One day my dad decided to sell this car...and called me as he knew i was in love with it.
No need to tell you that a few months later the car was at my home in Switzerland ;) ;) ;)

I had the chance to rent a garage to put it in and i have to admit that i left it there unattended for a few months....or years :blush: ( i'd say like 7 years ) I know, shame on me.

Time passes by so fast, and i had suddenly an illumination and decided to start the work. Well also because my wife started arguing that paying a rent for a garage was useless..specially for a car i was not using.

I took the car at home and opened the hood and gave me the goal of getting the car back on the road by next summer (2019)

I ordered many parts at pony parts in the US and everything arrived. The list is too big to put in here ha ha ha. My priority was to make the engine run, but browing on the spare parts list.... i kinda ordered some additional thingies :lol: such as:

Disc brakes set for the rear (It has already factory disc brakes at the front)
New Rims
and this little X-Mas present ( I told my wife it was essential :whistle: )

Back the to car :

Well it has an extremely high sentimental value to me as first of all it was my dad's car, i learned driving in it, and i spend all my younghood in it.

The car has the 289 Cui HP engine, 4V Holley carb, disc brakes at the front and what makes it very rare is the original manual 4 speed gearbox.
The exact produsction date is sept. 1964, what it makes a 1964 1/2 year model but commonly it's a 1965.
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Al

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53239

A few pictures of how i found the poor engine

Radiator completey corroded. I have to say that in south america they run the engines without any anti-freeze liquid (on old engines) as the temperatures always remain positive.

More Rust

Seeing all this, i had to take major actions...like this :

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53240

This is how it looks under the hood

I installed the engine on a engine support and started to work on it until the new parts i ordered arrive from the USA

Attachments:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53241

In the mean time worked a bit on the carburator

More to follow

Thanks for looking

Manotas
Attachments:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53243

Nice car - I'm seeing it in a Cherry Red with a Racing White Roof or side scallops, or maybe a mid metallic blue, like Renault Monaco Blue ;)

Seriously though - cringe at the green & brown thorugh the waterways through lack of corrosion inhibitor :S

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53244

Nice car - I'm seeing it in a Cherry Red with a Racing White Roof or side scallops, or maybe a mid metallic blue, like Renault Monaco Blue ;)

Seriously though - cringe at the green & brown thorugh the waterways through lack of corrosion inhibitor :S

Thanks Jonny,
Well the car has been painted in original Ford red (i forgot the name Ford gave at that red) despite the original factory colour should be Wimbledon white.

The complete water circuit will be replaced, i ordered a new radiator, waterhoses and everything related to it. The whole engine will be disassembled, and painted in red as it was originally.
One thing will be sure, i will fill the coolant circuit with antifreeze wich is also a corrosion inhibitor !

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53245

I looked up Wimbledon White ... actually quite a nice colour, but I'm not sure it suits the car now ... Looking up "correct" period Ford reds, Poppy Red looks a bit too orange to match your car, the other "correct" option is Rangoon Red :)

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53247

I fully agree with you, Wimbledon whit don't suits the car well. Besides that if i would change the colour of the car it won't the one i have in my memories. So far i remember this Mustang it has always been red..and it will remain red.

Having a look ath the Ford colours, the rangoon red looks pretty close to the red my car is painted.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53248

Nice Mustang project :y:

Blocked or corroded waterways is bound to happen when not using antifreeze, antifreeze also cools down engine temp in hot weather, many don't know this.

You may have seen my Capri thread and I have similar problems due the fact the two previous owners did not use any antifreeze at all.
I had the waterneck on the inlet manifold leaking and when cleaning it up, it had 4 or 5 big holes about 4-5mm all over it.
The waterneck is made from aluminium and it was all eaten up.
Replaced it with a good one.

I also had problems with it running hot even after flushing both radiator, engine block and heater matrix seperatly.
My suspections is the the waterways in the heads are blocked somewhere like your heads in the pictures.
I may investigate further and pull the heads to see if the headgaskets is blown, but I can not see any seepage at all.
But it did run hot on steep long hills and standing traffic even with the radiator fan and heater on.

Morale is never run a engine without antifreeze.
Gets worse when the engine/car is standing unused for long periods.

Any rust on your Mustang?
Looking forward to the next update :-)

Richard

Last edit: by caprinut.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 5 years 3 months ago #53249

What a great story and project, Would have been a journey for it to get from SA to Swiss soil ;) So A Spanish speaking Swiss eh, That explains the Dani connection and your given name :) Apart from the engine and brakes, What is the rest of the car's general condition? Please keep us updated on this Special project :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.