Keyword

TOPIC:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 8 months ago #56028

Awesome project. What carburetor are you using? I see it's a Holley but I'm not sure which one. You're going to have a hard time getting those headers to fit. Last time I did a similar project I had to admit defeat and use the stock exhaust manifolds.

I hope you post of a video of it running so we can hear the sound!

Hi mate,
Well i will do anything possible to fit them! Defeat is not an option...and besides that i don’t have the original manifolds.
I can’t remember the exact carb model... its a 4 bowl one. I’ll have to check it to confirm the exact model.

Of course i will take a video on the first start!
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 8 months ago #56030

Right!
... so it's not a brushless 540 in there?

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 8 months ago #56031

My friend replaced the manifold by a full magnaflow line on his 67 stang.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 8 months ago #56033

The biggest problem I had with the manifolds was not fitting them between the wheel wells, it was interference with the shift linkage. The linkage from the column shifter went right through that area to the transmission, so fitting them would have required custom fabricating a linkage. I see a clutch on the back of your engine which means you have a manual transmission and a floor shifter, so you might be OK.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 2 weeks ago #58918

Time to show small progress on this project.Last summer I was stopped by an umbilical hernia which prevented me from working for many months.
Well, now it's time to continue the work a little bit, because I still have a lot to do.
I've started the installation of the exhaust manifolds and the making of the brake lines. Since I'm going to install disc brakes at the rear, I installed a new master cylinder with a proportional valve and the lines have to be adapted.

Well i started installing the passenger side manifold...a piece of cake in comparison with the driver side one.

I had to lift the car again and slide it from underneath. As there is almost no space, it was necessary to take the crane out again, dismantle the engine supports, lift the engine and cross your fingers so that this exhaust manifold would have some space.

Once the exhaust manifold is in place, I managed to screw the first two screws without too much problem. But when installing the following ones, I realized that the holes of the exhaust manifold did not match the holes of the cylinder head.
No choice but to disassemble everything again, drill bigger holes on the exhaust manifold and reinstall it.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Manotas. Reason: Insert picture

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 2 weeks ago #58919

I thought it would take me 2 hours at the most, but around 5:30 pm I installed the last screw of the exhaust manifold.
Luckily the last brake lines were adjusted correctly which allowed me to install them relatively easily.

I still have lot's of work to do....and as soon as i can i'll keep on going.
Manotas
Attachments:

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 2 weeks ago #58920

Great to see progress on your Mustang :y:

I'm happy to report there has been progress with my Capri project as well :)

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 2 weeks ago #58922

Aaahhhhhhhh she's back! I am glad to see that you're better Manu.

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 1 week ago #59012

Now, this weekend I moved on my mustang.
I started to work on the clutch control and this part has to be between the engine and the chassis by passing through the exhaust manifold.

I had no choice but to dismantle the entire brake system. Since this clutch rod passes close to the brake master cylinder, I had to redo all the brake lines. I think I made a mistake when ordering the brake lines kit, I guess they are made for an automatic transmission.

Clutch linkage installed...

And finallly all the brake lines re-done :

1965 Mustang Restoration project 4 years 1 week ago #59013

There isn't much room to tighten the brake lines. Luckily I don't have giant hands, if not impossible to tighten these lines.

Then I started to install the alternator brackets and the power steering pump bracket. The alternator was completely overhauled.

The next step is the installation of the radiator...
To be continued
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.