Keyword

TOPIC:

Boxford 4.5” x 17” Precision Plain Lathe 3 years 1 week ago #65124

Now that's a Tap!!.  I'm guessing you don't have a lead screw on the lathe which would make cutting the thread a lot easier. I can only wish you luck OR find someone who has a lathe that can cut the thread for you.  I watch a guy called "this old tony" on youtube. He does some great lathe work. 
Regards

Lee

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Boxford 4.5” x 17” Precision Plain Lathe 2 years 9 months ago #66951

Used 2", 7tpi taper tap arrived (just as big and twice as expensive :blink:), so now I have the full perm - should I ever get around to wanting to make the nose protector :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Boxford 4.5” x 17” Precision Plain Lathe 1 year 6 months ago #72559

I did a couple of brass bits on my Boxford lathe earlier in the week, and found the involuntary slight taper turning problem was back. This time it was caused by the nylon spacer under the nut holding the compound slide on compressing over time, and allowing the whole slide to rotate around 0.75 degrees when there was any torque from the tool, meaning about a 1 in 75 taper. 

I’d made the spacer in nylon originally it was much easier on the Unimat (the steel T-nuts were very hard work), and I’d left it because it was working ok… I have a short bit of thick-walled steel pipe I can cut down/machine to do it, if not 100% properly, then at least a better class of bodge ;)     

A while back I saw another Boxford collet lathe  - www.ebay.co.uk/...5378141303 - on eBay, it’s only the third lathe of this type I’ve ever seen. Not that I’ve been looking that long, but you’d think the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon (aka Frequency Bias, or the frequency illusion) would make it feel otherwise. Maybe this type of lathe is genuinely rare – it certainly is compared to all the Boxford A/B/C underdrive units. 

In many regards it’s better than mine – it has the nose thread protector, counter pully assembly, a different top slide making it possible to fit a quick change toolpost, the brass oiler fittings and correct slide nut, a motor reversing switch, 4-jaw chuck. The 330 GBP it went for is a little disappointing as it puts a similar low value on mine (much less than a Unimat), but I’ve been thinking about that. If you know anything about lathes you’d probably want to get something better featured, and if you know nothing, it wouldn’t be at all clear how to set that one up, so you’d get a Chinese mini lathe from MachineMart instead :)

IIRC the other Boxford collet lathe had a much better paintjob, looked almost ready to go, and had a big selection of collets, and went for c. 750. GBP.

Mine was free, but cost about 700 GBP to get to a state where I could use it 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.