Keyword

TOPIC:

Motorcycles 2 years 4 months ago #69820

Seems there is some serious riders here:)
Maybe should add few details about my motorcycle experience.

First bike was a Honda MTX50 (50cc) very soon highly modified to overtook the 45km/h inbuilt limit :)
As soon as I got my driving license(1992), I bought my first bike categorized as A license (full driving license in France). It was a red Suzuki 400 GSX-F Bandit. It was made for me, the registration plate was with my birth year and my initials (used bike, but that is the kid of detail that catchs your eye when you are looking at your future bike when comes the time to do the choice). The red zone was starting at 15000 rpm, and the motor seemed absent until you reach 11500 rpm, as a result you had to play heavily with the gearbox (I'm quite sure the torque curve was like null up to 11500 and 100% after that :-D)...
I used it for 5 years and sold it when leaving Grenoble where I made my engineer studies.

Time later (1998), when starting my first job in Paris, I did not succeed to support the 1 hour travel in Metro for more than a week, and bought a Suzuki 750 GSX-F Inazuma black bike. That is the most boring bike I had. But that was of for going to the office and get back, which is the only thing I was asking for. At the same time, I was starting to discuss motorbikes on usenet. And soon first IRL meetings would come
1999: Replaced the Inazuma by a Silver Triumph Daytona 955i (that came to initiate the pseudo I'm using on internet). It was soon broken (totalled) in a irl meeting with friends from usenet, on a road I was knowing by heart, but I was tired that day, and my Daytona was not even reaching 1000 miles on the clock.
2000: new Daytona - the same
2001 : had to get the fairing repainted because of an accident. Lucifer orange was the choice for the color. I was on work mission in Lyon, and my bike was there, and I was starting to entertain the idea of moving in Lyon area. A lot of good friends I was frequently riding with was there... I met my future wife while back in Paris and awaiting a slot to move to Lyon.
2002 : My future wife broke her Suzuki SV 650S and was awaiting parts. I had invited her to a bike week-end in Ardeche. One of the part needed for the repair was in a container like often the parts of our Tamiyas. Only way to go on that week-end was for her to have a bike. I bought a Speed Triple, and proposed her to take my Daytona for the week-end... We moved both to Lyon few months later. I sold the Speed Triple later on, and my wife was then riding a track toy (Triumph TT-600 ex french TT-Cup). We were quite clear with one my friend on the presence of a big hole on the Torque curve between 13500 and 13800 rpms :). My wife almost never went there, even on track.
2008 first kid.the TT-600 left the house, soon followed by the Daytona
2009 second kid. I bought a Street Triple. I ride it less than 2000 km, and as the work with the new house was not letting much time to ride, it was soon decided to resell it.
2011. Decided to buy a cheap Ducati Monster 620s IE Capirex with some work to do to get back on a bike. My wife did not like it. Lot of week-ends with friends until I decided to move to something else.
2017 :  MV Agusta Turismo Veloce 800. Week-end were good with the Monster, but the issue was to take the bottles or other goodies for the week-end. Had to get something better for that. It is perfect, requires a lot of TLC, is a very nice and very pleasurable ride... It took me in many places, long ride (up to 1000 km of small roads within a day - generally, when I start it, it's rare to do less than 400km on the day). I even organized a Concentration in 2019 with about of 100 usenet french riders and a mvagusta.net riders meetup in 2018 (we were 6 guys to come from different areas of Europe for this).
When I bought the MV, my wife told me I had to change the Ducati for something she can ride. We got a Street Triple again (white this time) and sold the Ducati.
2018: a colleague who had a Ducati told me he was going to sell his bike. Jokingly, I said how much? With the price he gave me, I told him : I need to talk to my wife, but unless I say the opposite, consider it is sold (no way I could let pass this): I did some work on it (it barely ran for the last 10 years) and ride it time to time until 2020 when I decided to sell it.

The story continues. I had participated to some track event as well back at the time of the Daytona. Carole (track next to Paris), or Issoire (in the center of France) were the tracks where I rode the most.... Good memories of all events there with friends...

I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: Manotas, stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Motorcycles 2 years 4 months ago #69822

I love the nsr 125 and the gsxr

The NSR was really fun to drive, but not reliable at all ha ha ha.
Mmmmm the GSXR are very special to me. During my GSXR years i was already working for Honda, but i love the engine caracteristics of the Suzuki. Not saying that the Hondas were not that good, but just with less caracter.
Honestly speaking, the best bike i ever had was the GSXR 750 K6.... On my old phone i should have a video of it on the dyno where you can see the flames comin out from the side exhaust while downshifting...... (at that time i had a special exhaust from "Tailor Made" in USA)
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Manotas.

Motorcycles 2 years 4 months ago #69823

Just uploadad a vid from Dijon race track :

The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

Last edit: by Manotas.

Motorcycles 2 years 4 months ago #69824

Nice :)
When I look at your video, it reminds me my last session at Issoire, on a track 2 days sessions with Stephane Coutelle (pseudo Telcou) and Christian Haquin as instructors with a lot of Ducati riders from the french Ducati mailing list (not sure if it was 2003 or 2004, actually, but Coutelle was part of the winner team in Le Mans 24 hours that year). I was there with the Daytona with a full track fairing... I don't have the video unfortunately. The thing I remember quite well is on a right turn where I was thinking I was on what I was thinking to be the exact place where I can not go further, there was Telcou overtooking me on the inside line with a passenger he was trying to entertain... Those guys are just extraterrestrials :)

Motorcycles 2 years 3 months ago #69829

Wahooo Manu. Really impressive and flippant. 292 vmax 😱😱😱
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Motorcycles 2 years 3 months ago #69832

I think I first really loved bikes when I watched C.H.I.P.s on TV I loved the Kawasaki Z900 they rode. 
Had a bike from the age of 15, not road legal of course.

Montessa Cota 247  Similar to this one. but not as nice. 

First on road bike. Honda CB50J Given to me by my then Girlfriends Mom and Dad as her brother had upgraded to a Suzuki GP100. Same as this one originally BUT my dad repainted it in blue.

I still have this bike and it is another restoration project, currently at my sisters in the garden shed, hopefully not too rotten.

Then I had
Yamaha YB100
Yamaha RD200

Then a 1973 Honda SL125, Now sadly in a sorry state after being left outside for I don't know how long. I had left it in the garage at a place I lived and thought it would be safe BUT the house was rented out and it was put outside to make room to store house stuff. At least it wasnt scrapped, sold or given away. Luckily I had a call from someone who knew me and I went to collect it in the Landrover. its not seized up but some things have rotted off, However I do have replacement parts for when I finally get some useable space in my garage then I can get it from my Dad's garage and bring it home. 

Next Upgrades
Suzuki GT250
Honda CB250 Superdream 
From there I brought by first Big bike, Well it was big for me
Kawasaki GT550 
in 1990 I got my first NEW bike

The iconic GPz900R

Stupidly I sold it in 2000 to my friend at work as I didn't need 2 bikes. I wish I had kept it, its still in the same condition I sold it in. 

In 1999 I brought my current Bike

Suzuki TL1000R

Haven't done a lot of miles on it but 22 years later and its still in beautiful condition.  Hoping to get it out and serviced in 2022 so I can take it for a blast. 

Since then I have ridden quite a few bikes for my job, Sorry no pics, not allowed, but you will find them on the internet
I am lucky enough to test and develop models over the last several years such as the Bobber, Thruxton R TFC, Speed Triple 1200, The 2021 Rocket III, 1200 Explorer, Tiger 660 sport, to name a few. 

Silvertriple, I did wonder if your username was because of a bike..

Regards

Lee
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, uncletom, silvertriple

Last edit: by jord001.

Motorcycles 2 years 3 months ago #69835

.. boys, it seems we're quite a bunch here. Motorcycles really are well related to RC-cars, as this thread shows, although not on the same danger-level wouldn't you say? And it also shows scale doesn't matter, as long as there are at least two wheels and plenty of rubber!
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001

Motorcycles 2 years 3 months ago #69837

Hey, Lee, are you working in Hinckley?
I've been moderator of the french Triumph mailing list. I had something with the 3 cylinders motors... At that time (1999- 2006), I was probably aware of any issues you could figure on the 955i engine powered bikes... Would have been great to be able to talk to dev engineers while I was there...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Motorcycles 2 years 3 months ago #69838

Since then I have ridden quite a few bikes for my job, Sorry no pics, not allowed, but you will find them on the internet

Nice to see that some of you guys also have ridden some special bikes.
I was also involved in a ver special project...
This is the only pic i'm allowed topost here..Have a guess what bike it is 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001

Motorcycles 2 years 3 months ago #69839

I never had real motorcycles but ran sometimes as Passenger on cbr 1000 replica, yam r1 first gen, fatboy, and ultra classic electraglide. But I felt in love with a old tiny nsr 125 rothmans replica . A small bike. I had a friend who had a shop. My first motorized bike was a piaggio ciao, and had 3 50cc chinese scooters. I drove 100kms per days with them. I went to work with them ( I was crewchief in a garage without drive licence...) And a hard winter killed my scooter and I broke my hand...
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.