Keyword

TOPIC:

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62263

I think I let a "potential bargain" overtake common sense here - used 28" Chinese vinyl plotter/cutter with some 24" wide vinyl rolls ... the "Artcut" software cutter setup options are completely impenetrable, due I suspect in great part to the drivers not working under Windows 10 & Microsoft aggressively insisting that the incompatible "USB Printing Support" non-optionally installed instead is the "best option" :whistle:

It needs a stand, new cuttesr & some repairs, but the "test" function (a 5 pointed star in a box) works, + I have been able to produce something with the free trial version of "Easy Cut Studio". That puts random extra cuts across your work & the full version is 59.99 USD, I'm not saying they shouldn't get paid for the fruits of their labour, but somehow that translates to 61+ GBP & I could buy a used Windows 7 laptop for less than that, so I'll have to think about what to do next...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Edou, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62269

It's idiotic that some things will not work with windows 10.
I have an external harddisc that is less than 10 years old.
Can see the pictures in the archive and collect them, but the program between pc and harddisc do not work, like the control panel etc.
The point why to buy an external harddisc is just to store and collect pictures etc safely for the future.
10 years in that much in time...

Over the plotter.
You will be able to make your own decals now?

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62271

I've been making my own vinyl panels for a long time - this just means I can do it a bit more accurately than with scalpel & scissors, and reproduce them more easily.
Theorectically I could also make them up to 600mm x 1,800mm :)
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62277

I'd go with the laptop and do a fresh installation on a new small SSD, they are pretty cheap these days and apparently easy to switch out.

Last edit: by Edou.

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62285

At some point I bought all the basic installation software off eBay from XP up to Windows 8 for my desktops, which should also work on the brand's laptops. So if you get a Fujitsu and need the OS discs, I could take a look at how to clone them.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62292

Thanks edou, have already bought a suitable (I hope) dell & waiting for it to arrive :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62323

Win7 laptop didn't fix it ... not sure what I'm going to do with it, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of putting it back on eBay by the time I've paid fees & post, plus endured no end of stupid, lowballers etc I think I might as well keep it - although I'm inclined to wrap the top (undecided between walnut & sand scorcher ATM.

TBH I don't know if the supplied software and cutter have _ever_ worked together, I'm done trying & have stumped up the 61 GBP for the full version of EasyCut Studio intead.

What I had assumed (from their own information) to be "watermarking" in the trial version - a 45 degree cut across the plot/cut done at the end seems instead to be some sort of fault :S

I've tried swapping USB cables & using different ports on the PC, not that so the last possible proper "fix" is using the 9-pin COM port instead - suitable cable now on order.

Universal pen attachment so i can use the thing as a plotter:

Mini window masks cut in pink vinyl ...

And plotted on A4 paper. Note where it got torn & crinkled due to the pen going off the edge of the paper :whistle: & the diagonal line across it :S

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, Al

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62325

Managed to get a clean plot & cut of the mini window masks by turning the data rate down on both the plotter/cutter and in Easy Cut Studio.

I thought I was on to something, but no ...

Trying to cut tyre lettering though, even when just 18 letters for one tyre results in the row being cut mirror image and 90 degrees out, that 45 degree cut again, then the 2nd row - but the first letter is only partially cut & the rest of the letters (bar two) are unusuable due to cut overlaps.

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62335

hi i like to help out
ok sometimes update the driver for the unit if its still no good try an old ver one
even the software try a new ver and old version one
can u tell me what other software u can u with the unit?
what windows are u running it might be wrong one so try different version it may help (dont use win8 use win8.1 ok) only if your using win8
u can download all the iso version for free its just the windows activation u have to deal with if u get a key off the web but that last for 30 days till activation
so it give u time to use it and theres all so way to reset the 30 days as well maybe a few times only
would u like the full version of EasyCut Studio i might know someone able to get it for free
what other software are u after
have u tried Flexi Starter or Vector Magic
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Last edit: by spannerman3.

Used vinyl cutter shenannigans (formerly part of "It's tool time!" thread) 3 years 5 months ago #62336

FlexiSIGN 10
CPU: Intel Dual Core
RAM: 1 GB
HDD: 4 GB
Windows: XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10

Last edit: by spannerman3.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.