Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 3 months ago #4857

RSXs were great, they were the thing to have if you didn't want to pay through the nose for insurance & they still produced the 12hp of the restricted 125s. The earlier RS100 was unrestricted & could see off most of the learner-legal 125s. The first incarnation of the DTR125 were good too & were even better with the power valve tweaked for full beans. But like you say, they were a bit of a wretch for being nicked. I had 2 of the the earlier DT175MX myself, they looked dated enough that they tended not to get stolen

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 3 months ago #4862

Yeah, I liked the RXS myself - would just about do 70mph, but you could easily maintain 60mph & still get 70mpg ... 6v electrics were lousy though, the drum brakes weren't much cop, and the fixed footpegs were a real problem if you leant it too far ...

I had a go on a mates Honda H100 around the same time - in comparison, that felt much shorter & you were perched way up high - it handled like an insanely powerful twist & fart moped.

Also had a Suzuki GP100 very briefly - I had to take a retest (least said about why the better ;) ) & it was cheaper to buy, tax & insure that that it would have been to hire a bike for 3 days to take the training & retest :whistle: - that was horrible though - you couldn't maintain 60mph on it, you had to redline it in 4th, knock it up to 5th, watch the revs drop, then back into 4th - repeat every minute or so :sick:

I think the 100cc class got killed off around 1996 - up till then the rules had been that if you took the full bike licence test on a 100 you got the full bike licence - then it changed to you still got a "full" bike licence, but only for up to 125cc ... & who would bother taking the test just to be able to ride a 125 without L-plates? I mean, if the Polis see a 125 without L-plates it's a guaranteed tug ...

Never had a bike nicked myself - although I did find my CX had been moved once - in the way that tea leaves do to see if anyone is keeping an eye on it... or maybe they decided it was just too heavy to lift into a van :whistle:

Suppose I was lucky really - or maybe it was just that I had my small trailies (TDR50, KMX200, TDR250) before stealing them was fashionable.

Piston upside down? I could see back to front (so the ports didn't line up), upside down? how did you get the gudgeon pin in? :silly:

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 3 months ago #4864

its impossible to fit a piston upside down! wrong way round maybe, then yes, it wont run very well !!!!

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 3 months ago #4866

yeah wrong way around not upside down sorry :whistle: arrow pointing down not up and remember i was sixteen and a complete engine strip down.....my first :blush: funny thing is it still ran but wouldnt rev over 3000 rpm :laugh:

last engine i stripped and rebuilt was my old cb 750 f now that was a challenge

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 3 months ago #4867

i have had so many bikes i cant remember them all, fiizy x ?, dt100,gp100.pe175,lc250 x ?. cb400,550,750,900. yz465,atc110,cbr1000,cb750 chop,z1000 chop, plus others i cant remember.
plus my current ride, 78 suzuki GS1000E. sat in my living room, built the engine in my bedroom lol

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 3 months ago #4868

That GS1000 is a thing of beauty B)

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 3 months ago #4869

Think I only ever saw 1 PE175, or it might've been an IT... Had well over 30 bikes over the years, but getting soft in my old age & planning to give it up. Yeah the old Honda 4s had a few bits to the engines, I built a 400/4 from boxes & it took well over a month! The variable excitation alternators were an interesting idea. Out of all the bikes I've had, I think my '76 CB200 was the one I enjoyed the most - fun factor was well up there with my Hilux!

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 3 months ago #4870

PE was yellow(susuki),YZ was white, IT was blue, yamaha's

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 2 months ago #5889

About time to reply to this one, I guess, since i have other hobbies beside Vintage Tamiyas.

My oldest and most expensive hobby is old cars, and Chevrolets in special.

As of today I have one 1967 Nova station wagon, which has been tore down into molecules and is on it's way back together. Work in progress; has taken 4 years so far....

Situaton today:

The Nova is here sharing apartmenst with another of my cars; the 1967 Chevrolet caprice wagon, planned for future holiday trips.. Expensive to drive, of course, but cheap to own, since the insurence and road tax for cars more than 30 years old is really low in Norway.

I also have another Chevrolet nova. This is part of the inheritage after my father. It is a 1969 Nova, four doors. Has been restored over 3 years, and is nearing completion. Nothing untouched on this one either: paint, bodywork, engine, transmission, rear end, front end etc... Expensive build.... But in ok shape now. And a bit more frisky today than before. Approx 350 HP and modern 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive, race prepared. Low geared rear end gives a fast launch at the lights....:evil:

Also have a Willys Wagon from 1962. Fun car. Should really want one of those bodies for either a Willys or Bruiser, or Hilux or....

And finally there is the old race car build of me and my mate's. A 1947 ford being built as a racecar of the 60's: a gasser. In progress. A lot of fabrication done, but a lot remains....

Body finished (more or less)

Frame almost finished

Engine finished (almost)

Ah, yes: and finally: my Beetle....

Big boys need big toys.

And of course some smaller too :P

Re: CATS, and boats and bikes and cars 12 years 2 months ago #5890

Nice Cars!

Big boys need big toys.

And of course some smaller too

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys ;)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.677 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.