Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 11 years 3 months ago #16391

• caprinut
  • caprinut's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
Winter are here and with it the bloody coldness :angry:

Garage port was letting water in due unlevel floor and to make it worse the floor leans inwards for the first meters or so.
You can see they had fitted a wedge of wood under the port, was not working at all..

My solution was to fit a strip of rubbermat on each side to make a big U, and it works perfectly, the puddle inside dried up in a few days and it keeping the snow from creeping inside

Second, I had to clean up the garage, it was a real mess :blush:
But after a cleanup and a new workbench it looked like this

Last week it was -15C here, so I needed some heat in the non heated garage.
So I bought myself a diesel heater at a internett auction site, and here it is, 30kw :y:

Works real good too :woohoo:

And one of my mates visited me in my garage, so we ordred a pizza

I have been tired for a long time so I haven't had chance to work on the car, but yesterday I removed all of the doorcards, these will be colored from white to black.

Next up is to remove carpet to sound proof it with the Fatman stuff.
So far this Capri looks real good regards rust, so I hope I don't find some nasty suprices under the carpet.
The doors will also get some sound deadener, both doorside and frameside to minimize rattles etc..

And think I will fit a MT75 gearbox as they are stronger than T9 transmissions (300nm vs 220nm)

Next winter it will get a new coat of paint, and I have found the perfect color for me.
2012 Nissan R35 blue pearl like this:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Re: Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 11 years 3 months ago #16392

• caprinut
  • Away
I forgot to post up pics of the changed dashboard I did earlyer.
Looks tons better now :y:

Remember this?

Looks like this now!

Had to fit orginal 2.8I steering wheel before the MOT and registration
Also had to fit side indicators for the same reason, or it would fail.
They are needed on car after 74' in Norway

Re: Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 11 years 3 months ago #16423

• caprinut
  • Away
Another day in the garage

So far I have used 10 litres of diesel with the heater, but it's nice to have it warm inside the garage

Yesterday I removed the seats, center console and the carpet.
And I'm happy to report that it's solid as it looks

Some pics...

Floor
May find some small patches of rust here

Rear strengtning xmember looks really good, these rust on bad cars

In lack of storage

The weatherman forecasted 70cm of snow, but luckly it just came 20cm, but it soaking wet and bloddy heavy, and it will rain on top of this for the next 4 days or so, so I can't bother to travel to the garage who are located in the end of a gravel road and a steep hill(Located 3km from my house).

Will wait for a few days to see how fast the slush melts before I carry on with the Capri...

Re: Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 11 years 3 months ago #16424

HI!... Looks in good shape. Looks like it's had some wheel lip repairs prior. You can see the spot welds from inside the car.

Re: Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 11 years 3 months ago #16427

• caprinut
  • Away
Yep it does, if you see carefully on the pics from the outside you can see the rust bubles on both wheel arches starting to come up.

The car was refurbed in about 88'-90' probl, as both the CB and the red steering wheel came in 88' after some heavy googling..
Not bad at all if the paint has stayed that way for 24 years..

I think it has been garaged it's whole life and never been driven during winter time, that saves a lot of steel!
It haven't underseal either, and no rust and it will stay that way as I really hate to work og sticky underseal on a car.
It will get bedliner stuff, bombproof and are dry to touch...
Search Mythbusters bedliner and you will see what I mean :silly:

Re: Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 11 years 3 months ago #16429

I love the capri my uncle had a 2.8 laser injection model i think it was in metallic blue with a grey stripe at the bottom. Sadly he died too young from a brain tumour but the car is one of my strongest memories of him they looked so great to a young child and they had them in the professionals :laugh:

That sure is a clean one and will look fantastic when its finished keep the thread up im loving it :y: B)

Wish i had a garage like that and heated too :woohoo:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 5 years 11 months ago #49678

• caprinut
  • Away
I will post the progress in a later post.

But due my illness (CFS mainly), I have not had the energy to do much on the rebuild.
And it would turn out it had plenty of rust due bad repairs or sloppy covering up from the previous owners..

But it looks like this now, and are about 80% welded, need money and energy to continue..

Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 5 years 11 months ago #49680

Courage! The capri is a legend. :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

Got a real car again - Ford Capri Mk3 - vintage 5 years 11 months ago #49692

I had a few Capri back in the day, and I haven’t got a picture of any of them :cry: :cry: , my fave was a 2.0 S mk2 with a full Cologne body kit with 10in chrome wellers on the back and 8’s on the front, I loved that car :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 5 years 3 months ago #53250

• caprinut
  • Away
Plans has changed since I first started this project 6 years ago.

Since it needs a full respray anyway, I will change color to something I allways wanted to have.
It will look very close to this when finished:

And the exact color I've chosen is this, Ford Kona blue available on Mustangs etc

As contrast color I'm set on GM Cyber Grey Metallic

To get it on the road the engine will have a top end rebuild as it has several oil leakages, noisy valvetrain and possibly a coolant blaockage in either inlet manifold or heads or maybe both. Engine will also receive a full gasket swap and a carb swap from Solex 35EEIT to Weber 34DGAS.
Other features will be:
All doorcards and fake suede (alcantar) and real alcantara headliner.
Remove the bad winyl job on the seats or recolor them.
Front 4 pot caliper from Sierra Cosworth 3 door with Land Rover 25mm master cylinder, that will be swapped for Audi unit at later stage.
Fit coilover up front and adjustable track control arms and poly bush the whole thing.
Fit single leafs instead of multi pack.
8+9x16 wheels.

That's the main things.
As we will get new rules for classic cars next year things will be easyer for cars older than 30 years.
There won't be TÜV needed anymore as long at parts are produced by a well known company and are legal for road use.
Full roll cages will be allowed as well, and it's my intension to fit a polished rollcage at later point the get the look I'm after.
As I don't do any trackdays, I don't need a FIA aprooved cage.

Would any see pics and story from a few years and back up to now?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.711 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.