Keyword

TOPIC:

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 3 years 2 weeks ago #65613

Earlier this week I got delivered some parts to me.
I'm quicly running out of space in my apartment, but for now they will sit on top of this old drawer.

I got front and rear windscreen complete with rubbers and a front bumper which is mostly complete.
All this for cheap money.
I was lucky one of my friends was selling all his Capri stuff, to keep his Granada Mk1-2 collection going.

I needed those rubbers as my current ones does not fit the windscreen nor the windscreen aperture due heavy shrinkage.
The front bumper because my old one was thrown away due rust issues.

I wish I could afford a house with garage as I really need a garage.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 11 months ago #66534

This afternoon the nice post lady delivered this bonned ram kit for my Capri.
My mate in Ireland is making these.
I choosed a raw kit as I want to save some bucks vs the powder coated kit he usually delivers.

The ring end bolts to top of the strut top mounts on top of the inner wings and then bolted to the hinge part of the bonnet.
Benefits with this kit is that the bonnet now lifts up like a modern car (bonnet on a Capri is really heavy - about 50lbs) and it lifts the bonnet higher than the stock bonnet stay does.
Bonnet latch on a Capri is very sharp and are fitted to the middle of the bonnet up front, and if you are tall lad like me, you are bound to hit that latch at some point.
I have done that several times and it has got me bleeding on every account, which is never fun, let alone hurtful!

On my car I have deleted the bonnet stay mount in front of the engine bay, so atm they bonnet have to kept open with a stick of some sort.
This kit will sort that out.

Now I only need a few sunny days and a can of paint to prep these for mounting them on my Capri.
Only mod I need to do is to drill one hole in each hinge for the ram pivot ball.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

Last edit: by caprinut.

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 10 months ago #66824

Today was a really nice and sunny day with 20C so with me feeling a bit better than lately I wanted to prepare some things for paint.

The bonnet ram mounting rings came raw so they needed to be sanded, file of the grades and notchy circles made by the plazma cutter.
All the work took about two hours, using flap disc on a angle grinder, 180 and 240 grit paper and files.

Landlord was using his lawn mover tractor today, so too much pollen to do any painting.
But there will be sunny and 18-20C the next few days so I will try to paint them then before the rain comes back.

When these is done I can mount them up in my Capri, one more thing crossed off the list 
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, Lemsko, jord001

Last edit: by caprinut.

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 10 months ago #66826

Looks like a nice kit Richard. We are having the same pollen problem here in NH so painting anything is out of the question for a bit longer. Recently got some interior parts for my Pontiac and am excited to get at it when the rain moves on. LOL
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 10 months ago #66829

The capri hood is so big. That remind me the patrol one. I was limit too short to open and close it without take it on the head. :D
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 10 months ago #66830

Looks like a nice kit Richard. We are having the same pollen problem here in NH so painting anything is out of the question for a bit longer. Recently got some interior parts for my Pontiac and am excited to get at it when the rain moves on. LOL

Yep a nice kit.
He usually sells powder coated kits so those comes ready to install.
I opted for a raw kit to do the last step myself and save some coins.

Parts is allways fun, maybe not so much for the wallet 
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 10 months ago #66832

The capri hood is so big. That remind me the patrol one. I was limit too short to open and close it without take it on the head. :D

Yep the Capri bonnet is very big, and heavy!
I weighted about 50kg @ 184cm long when I got my first ones (on my 6th now), and I just was able to lift the bonnet myself when removing it from the car 
One of those times I glad I had long arms   When I removed the bonnet, my technique was to put the bonnet at my family parts and then grab the one arm at each side about half length of the bonnet and lift it..
One of the features I love on the Capri is the long bonnet and the power bulge, which all had, exept the very early ones.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 10 months ago #66834

Even hotter today. I bet it is 21-22C.

Managed to paint them today. They got 4 coats of satin black.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 10 months ago #66837

Take the sun yourself it is Always good and charges the batteries.

Caprinut's 78' Ford Capri 2.3S (V6) - Slow progress... 2 years 10 months ago #66840

Take the sun yourself it is Always good and charges the batteries.

I don't last long in the sun.
My illness's have made my thermostat not working so I get really hot quite fast.
In my younger days I could sit on top shelf in the sauna at 110 degree, for nearly half a hour, I was the one that last the longest. Nowdays it is the other way round.
I also get dizzy if I sit in the sun too long.
45 min today was enough while I waited between the coats.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.