Keyword

TOPIC:

It's tool time! 5 years 6 months ago #52017

If you need metric drills, they are cheap in France. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

It's tool time! 5 years 6 months ago #52018

If you need metric drills, they are cheap in France. ;)

I don’t now :laugh:

It's tool time! 5 years 6 months ago #52025

Some tools and goodies arrived today
Kitten were here before :D
Attachments:

It's tool time! 5 years 6 months ago #52026

Lots of storage for bits and pieces :y:

It's tool time! 5 years 6 months ago #52038

Hey Rob,
Nice bits, excellent to see metric ones too!! Despite Canada being a metric country for about 40 years :ohmy: I still can't go down to the local hardware and buy a set of metric bits :angry: Even metric hardware is still treated as special don't know why people don't get with it already, might have something to do with living next to a large non-metric country :unsure: but honestly isn't counting to 10 a hole lot easier than trying to figure out a bunch of fractions??

Don't get me started, the UK is not much better ... despite what Rob said, you do have to be a bit bilingual to cope here. We've never really converted...

I've never had to deal with LSD (Librae, Solidae, Denari - or pounds, shillings and pence) currency, although having said that, shilling coins were still in circulation for a long, long time as the "new" 5p coin, and there was a 1/2p coin (and prices to match) up until the early 80s IIRC. Things have got a bit easier (though much, much more expensive) as the GBP pretty much = USD and EUR now :whistle:

First year at Junior school (age 7, 1979) was times tables up to 12x12, but the following year times tables went metric so kids a year behind got to drop 11 and 12x. Temperatures are pretty much exclusively in metric (Celcius for weather forecasts, Kelvin(s) (sic) for serious physics), Fahrenheit is a black art to me, I know 61F = 16C and 32F = 0C, but anything else is lost on me. Centigrade is the norm for recipes, but using a North Sea Gas oven I tend to think more in Gas Marks (Gas Mark 4 or 5 for cakes, 3 for a slow roast, 7 for roast potatoes...).

Speeds are in MPH (cars/bikes, road speed limits), M/S for physics, fps for shooting, knots for sea and air ... distances are in miles (driving), inches (TVs), mm for fasteners on cars built in the last 30 years, wood screws are in # and inches, lengths of timber in metres, boards in 8ft x 4ft sheets, kitchen worktops in mm lengths, cloth is in rolls feet/inches wide, but sold by the Metre length ... Aluminium forms are sized in imperial fractions. Fuel (DERV and Petrol) is sold priced in litres, but efficiency measured in Miles per Gallon. Wine is sold in 75cl bottles, sold in pubs by the 125ml glassful, beer in pints.

Pints/Gallons are Imperial ones, not US ones BTW. No-one measures things in fl.oz or quarts here. Or cups, which is something of a blessing, apart from when it comes to translating :whistle:

@ Rob - nice drill set, but I would suggest getting spares in quantity for the smaller sizes, definitely everything up to 3mm anyway (plus possibly 3.2mm, which I'm surprised yor set doesn't have), e.g. www.ukdrills.co...-drill-bit

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

It's tool time! 5 years 6 months ago #52066

A nice little countersink set from eBay. Purchased them in the nice little carrycase.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Jonny Retro, stingray-63

Last edit: by Purple_rob.

It's tool time! 5 years 1 month ago #54392

Tool time :) A 1m wide sheet metal bender :) And a nice little horizontal Band saw with a vertical work plate attachment :ohmy: might needed a bigger workshop I keep getting these big tools :side:

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

It's tool time! 5 years 1 month ago #54417

Tool time :) A 1m wide sheet metal bender :) And a nice little horizontal Band saw with a vertical work plate attachment :ohmy: might needed a bigger workshop I keep getting these big tools :side:

NICE!!!! Big tool time.

I've picked a few little tools, I must show and tell this weekend :P
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

It's tool time! 5 years 1 month ago #54572

Not quite a tool but I’m upgrading my loft boarding/lighting and entrance hatch so I can have better storage :).

My new light x3. BRIGHT!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, koenc

It's tool time! 5 years 1 month ago #54573

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Rob sometimes it’s the little things.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.