Keyword

TOPIC:

It's tool time! 3 years 3 months ago #63767

I have L and M of those with blue handle.

Have heard the black ones are a better fitment in your hand?
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

It's tool time! 3 years 3 months ago #63785

I have L and M of those with blue handle.

Have heard the black ones are a better fitment in your hand?

I can't say for the Blue ones, But yes This feels rather nice in the hand :) haha I did give it a pratice run to see how nice it fit the screw heads and how it felt to turn :D
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

It's tool time! 3 years 3 months ago #63796

Nothing too exciting ;) With all the Airbrush and painting work coming up to complete some of my projects, I decided it was time to build myself a rotary table :) A while ago we had a small outdoor rotary table that you could put nibbles on when people were over, Of course the Harsh Australian weather took its toll and it became fire wood ( after I saved the rotary assembly from under it ;) ) Recently my wife decided it was time to remove the little round table from the lounge as it no longer fittted her decor :D Of course I grabbed the top from it before it to became fire wood ;) Today I married the 2 saved parts together :) I routered the edge and gave the top a sand just because and now its ready to go :P 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Edou, stingray-63, Scanox, Lemsko

Last edit: by AndyAus.

It's tool time! 3 years 2 months ago #64075

Another piece of my painting puzzle arrived today   Realizing that an air brush is good for samller works I needed another gun or 3 for bulk painting   So I got this lot :) 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Edou, stingray-63, Al, Lemsko, jord001

It's tool time! 2 years 11 months ago #66401

Draper min screwdriver set (#1, #0 & #00 Philips, 2.4, 1.8 & 1.4mm slot) ... took me far too long to realise that the ends are colour coded in rainbow order :whistle:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Edou, stingray-63, Al, jord001

It's tool time! 2 years 10 months ago #66728

for less than 4€ I can't not buy a pair of lighters feom lidl. And they are sold with a tiny gas bottle. 
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

It's tool time! 1 year 1 month ago #74341

Tool time!

I was gettin low on useable Dremel sanding drums etc and some of the tool holders is missing so I bought a new set which includes sanding drums and a whole lot more.
Also bought micro drill bits, 1/4" drill bits, 0.5 and 1mm pianowire, aluminium angle, side cutter and 2mm aluminium tube and a brass wirebrush for my printer.
Yellow paint is for the secret project.

A while ago I bought this vice. Before I had to go utside to cut stuff with my ange grinder.
Not showing is my mini hacksaw.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, AndyAus, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, Ducksnuts, GToddC5

It's tool time! 1 year 1 month ago #74365

Not a tool by any means, but I'm not sure where else to put this, I don't think it deserves a new thread either ...

I've always found CA glue to be almost entirely useless - which flies in the face of everything I've ever heard or seen about it. It's supposed to be this super strong, instantly bonding answer to any "two (or more) bits need to be just one" question anyone might have, and I keep hearing about its great gap filling properties. The only two possibilities I can see are that I, alone among all of humanity, emit a subatomic particle* of non-CA-bondingness - or it's all a Big Lie and even the most fervent supporters of it struggle just as much, but don't want to admit it.

* if you’ve ever been the go-to “IT guy” for friends and family, or bog help you, colleagues, you’ll already know that such a class exist, the “Bogons” (subatomic particles of cluelessness) that some lusers emit over otherwise completely reliable hardware and software being the prime example.

In practice, all I've ever really found that CA will bond is its cap to its tube tip, and finger prints to clear parts. Any other scenario, assuming you can get it to work as an adhesive rather than a lubricant, it takes 30 minutes to stick, and gives a bond that on the surface appears to be sound, but turns out to be unreliable at the most inconvenient time, leaving with you with two parts and a now-separate fillet of cured glue.

OK, there are some exceptions, a tiny amount applied with a pin can be useful (for a while) to close a paper cut, and a new tube of "Rubber Toughened" CA can work on some RC tyres, but for the most part, it's better to mix up some 2-part epoxy & wait for the 10 minutes to 24 hours required for that to cure.

I can't say that CA accelerator - or "kicker" as it's more often known - has changed my life :whistle: but I have found it takes using CA glue from a pointless exercise to a viable option, although you do have to watch it on some paints and some plastics. Things do take on an aromatic, oily, almost perfumed scent in perpetuity though.

If CA had been sold from the outset as a 2-part system it might have saved me years (possibly even decades) of gluing frustration :whistle:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, Ducksnuts, GToddC5

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

It's tool time! 1 year 1 month ago #74430

I am definitely one of those people who has held two objects together for 20mins, only to give up and suddenly have one of those objects bond instantly with my finger.

A couple of things I've learnt over the years;
  1. CA is terrible on non-porous surfaces.
  2. Apparently CA needs moisture to help it cure.  Which is also apparently why it bonds to skin so quickly!!!

For #2, I have found that on smooth surfaces if you very slightly dampen one surface before apply the CA, and then during the bonding time proceed to breath heavily with a wide open mouth, the added moisture does help it to cure.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, GToddC5

It's tool time! 1 year 1 month ago #74431

That would explain why I have seen scale model builers spray a mist on to part while gluing, I wasn't sure what it was but maybe just plain old water ;) 
The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.