Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

lithium batteries and charger $40 @3100mah @100amp @8.4volt 6 years 7 months ago #45862

i am using 20 dollar batteries and a 20 dollar charger!!!

the batteries fit the tamiya battery tray part number 19114090 times two.

---
ebay charger for 18650 size batteries. nitecore 20 dollars

---
2 pieces 18650 batteries. maybe 8-15 dollars each. the best ones are brillipower and efest and lg/sony. true output of 3100mah and 50amp with the new brillipower.

i have some 2100mah at 30amp wich work fine. i have some 20amp ones that seem maxed out... i have some new brillipower 3100mah at 40amp that were cheap enough...

batteries fit in the charger and the tamiya battery tray. just solder bullet connectors and a few inches of 14 gauge wire to the batteries. bullet connectors on the esc too! done!

«» you now have a 100gram battery and tray that has up to 3100mah and 100amp draw at 8.4 volts.
looks cool too...

total cost 40 bucks

----
no they are not unsafe.... protected dozens of ways.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by sublunacy.

lithium batteries and charger $40 @3100mah @100amp @8.4volt 6 years 7 months ago #45864

That looks interesting. Could you post some pictures?
Are the 18650 batt the same as several ecigarettes??? Or Tesla cars?

lithium batteries and charger $40 @3100mah @100amp @8.4volt 6 years 7 months ago #45866

maybe i can post pictures in a month or more...

yes they are known as many things including tesla/e cigs. there are larger ones too called 26650 that have about 5000mah off the top of my head but they are not as popular so you pay a bit of a premium price for that setup and you need a custom battery tray.

---
im not totaly sure i have the best wire and bullet connectors but they dont get hot so far. i am willing to look into it to see if im maxing it out since im out of wire completly now anyway.

been using this setup for over a year

---

lithium batteries and charger $40 @3100mah @100amp @8.4volt 6 years 7 months ago #45867

Generaly, that is 7A per square mm.

lithium batteries and charger $40 @3100mah @100amp @8.4volt 6 years 7 months ago #45868

thanks / your going to have to walk me thru.
---
14 gauge wire and max 14 gauge bullet connectors. i measure 2mm diameter on the copper wire.
it takes two pieces of wire 2.25" long for betwwen the batteries / and two pieces 4.5" to get to the esc. total length then is about 14 inches.
-using tamiya 540 torque tuned. says it is about 100watts and amp draw at around 60 amps i think. thats what the box says.

cheers

lithium batteries and charger $40 @3100mah @100amp @8.4volt 6 years 7 months ago #45870

Hey thanks,
That's a battery option I had not even considered. :) The technology just keeps changing and its great, I can still remember when we thought a 1200mAh hump pack was the best!! :laugh: :laugh:
I have been using small 2800mAh packs from Hobby King in my older stuff for quite some time and charging with a B6 style charger, never had a problem. I will be checking this stuff out too. :)

I would also add.... the size of the wire and connectors really only has to handle the applied load ie. the motor in question not the full rated capacity of the battery unless you plan on a dead short then.....well good luck....even the old 1200mAh ni-cads could melt the wires right off the pack if you did that.. :(
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

The following user(s) Liked this: sublunacy

Last edit: by oldwilly.

lithium batteries and charger $40 @3100mah @100amp @8.4volt 6 years 7 months ago #45871

it will fit other cars i guess but perhaps just not so pretty as mine... :) trick is to use the tamiya battery tray then life is good :) it needs an area just under 2" wide by 4" long. maybe 1" high.

my tips are below:

-use sheilded plastic bullet connectors and dont twist the wire up. twisting it will not fit the connector hole anymore and it will crimp on very badly / probably slip right out. i like the crimper tool and i highly advise you find one before wasting your time.

-no need for shrink tubing protection/ just do a good job....

- lastly the bullet connectors are male and female. the female are fully sheilded /do what you want but i made the esc twin male bullets and the battery pack 8.4v wires both twin female bullets -so no worries of a short circuit at all.....
»use either white wire and mark the pos and neg with red and black magic marker or buy two colours of wire.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.