Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25561

All,
I have for some time had a dilemma...
I started TamiyaBase with an intention to make a place on the web with Vintage Tamiya information, and it should be FREE.

I have over the years used a couple of ways to earn some cash to cover for the running costs (Direct sponsors, Ebay ads and Donations), but none of them are even close to cover the running cost of the site.

I am today looking at running costs (hard cash) at more than USD 250,- pr month. Income from Ebay ads average at around USD 30-40 pr month, I can't remember the last time I received a donation. (maybe there's been one at USD 10-20 this year)

So, my point is:
How would the community (you guys) feel about a moderate yearly fee (say EUR10 / USD15 / GBP9 pr year) to access core elements of this site?

Core elements could be "Downloads", "The DataBase" and maybe the "Trades" sections?

Would you pay?
Would you leave?
Would you stay, but not pay?

Please let me know your thoughts, I can take it :)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25562

so long ago :S 6B689264RV487131F ;)

guess I will stay. ( i wouldnt trust to post at "look what the mailguy brought" anymore if I didnt contribute a little)

Last edit: by waterbok.

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25563

:( Lars,
Now I am out of order for the budget but let me one or two monthes to donate a small donation.
I must to sale some cars to live but 10 € it is not a big "somme" but this site merits it.
Just let me the end of the month please. :)

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25565

well, I already pay to be on Tamiya Club, so I have no problem paying you either (in fact now I feel guilty not donating :blush: ).

I'm not that well off, but $15 USD isn't too much either. I looked at joining the local rc flying club and that was nearly $300/yr. Don't laugh, but I am also sort of a number plate collector and that cost me $30/yr.

While obviously not everyone will join up, I would be surprised if lots of people left/didn't. This is a great site and worth every cent that a membership would cost. I for one will pay straight away!

regards

Johann

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25569

I think this is a reasonable enough request and cheaper than the Tamiya Club,i enjoy this site and the forum and 100kr per year is fair enough when you think how much time one spends here getting help and inspiration from talented and experienced modellers. :y:

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25570

Hey Lars, firstly THANKS apart from the great costs you are shouldering, you also invest an enormous amount of time to the site :y: I personally am happy to continue being a financial supporter of TamiyaBase as well as a time supporter, I do enjoy this community and the positivity of the members (good work all B) )

2 notes:

1: To site users get on board :) think about this in relative form, What Lars is asking for is not a lot of money for a 12 month membership :) I will easily spend that much with my first trip to the bar on a Friday night :whistle: or on a lunch order in the city :pinch: and of course on that moulded piece of plastic or alloy to complete my build ;) Think about how much more value you are getting here :)

2: To visitors, become members and get involved, show us your builds and ask question's :) The more people that are active and contributing to this site the more people will be drawn to it and also become active members to :)

Come on all GET INVOLVED and support the site :) Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25571

:) for al the work on this site, We all have to donate same a small of money. I know that a lot of members are in crisis like me but 10€ are less than a vintage tam part. I want that TB live.
When I can I donate for the site :silly: We can't have a dead comunoty site like TB :cry:

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25582

I would have no problem with an annual subscription up to a 15 GBP / 24 USD / 18 EUR level :)

My first thought is that I think you would have a problem with Mr Tamiya if you put the manuals behind a paywall, I'm pretty sure that would be seen as using their IP for profit.

I'm thinking that a lot of the cost (and I didn't realise you were subsidising it to such an extent - blimey :blink: ) comes from covering the bandwith from downloads, and, I'm also guessing, photos in the forums? That's a key assumption for some of my ideas, if that's wrong, then so are some of the ideas :blush:

Furthermore, while I won't guarantee that "core elements of (a) site" is the correct one - but it's different from yours :huh:

To me, "core elements" means a basic, stripped down version available to all, whether signed in or not, paying member or not.

I'm also assuming that member levels & restrictions are easy to implement :whistle:

Personally, I don't think I've ever had any interest from a trade I've posted here, charging for that seems a poor idea.

I'm envisioning three access levels:

Non-members:
Basic structure of site + basic model information
limited preview of articles
viewing forums (without photos) (or no forum access at all?)
preview of galleries

Free members:
all above +
full articles
posting trades
full view of galleries
full view/use of forums (but with a limit on photos?)
preview of database
very limited download of manuals (1 a week? 2 a month? How many cars can someone rebuild/restore a month anyway?)

paid members:
all above +:
access to downloads other than manuals
full access to database
ability to post galleries
unrestricted photos in forums
trades appearing on front page?

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25590

I would buy a membership to this site,all the help and technical advice on here is unbeatable.

i have a membership to my local fishing club and that costs me £160 a year and i can use it all year round.

wots an extra £15 a year to do the same,your site is awesome lars,IM IN :y:

jtf :)

The time has come! ... maybe... 10 years 6 months ago #25632

Hi, sorry for being away this weekend. Real life caught up with me :laugh:

My first thought is that I think you would have a problem with Mr Tamiya if you put the manuals behind a paywall, I'm pretty sure that would be seen as using their IP for profit.

That is a concern, yes...

I'm thinking that a lot of the cost (and I didn't realise you were subsidising it to such an extent - blimey :blink: ) comes from covering the bandwith from downloads, and, I'm also guessing, photos in the forums? That's a key assumption for some of my ideas, if that's wrong, then so are some of the ideas :blush:

It's not bandwidth cost, its rental og the dedicated Server. Bandwidth is "unlimited" so that is not a problem.

To me, "core elements" means a basic, stripped down version available to all, whether signed in or not, paying member or not.

I can agree to that definition, it's probably just my English vocabulary that is not up to speed :-)

I'm also assuming that member levels & restrictions are easy to implement :whistle:

Define "easy" :P It will probably take me a week or two to implement. I'm not sure.

Personally, I don't think I've ever had any interest from a trade I've posted here, charging for that seems a poor idea.

Point taken :y:

I'm envisioning three access levels:

Non-members:
Basic structure of site + basic model information
limited preview of articles
viewing forums (without photos) (or no forum access at all?)
preview of galleries

Free members:
all above +
full articles
posting trades
full view of galleries
full view/use of forums (but with a limit on photos?)
preview of database
very limited download of manuals (1 a week? 2 a month? How many cars can someone rebuild/restore a month anyway?)

paid members:
all above +:
access to downloads other than manuals
full access to database
ability to post galleries
unrestricted photos in forums
trades appearing on front page?

Interesting!
I don't have a system in place yet for controlling access levels, but I will look into having access levels on the same principles as you describe here.(if possible)

Thank you for the good input!

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.