Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66114

Hi everyone,

Just thinking as I'm searching for an idle gear for a Marui Hunter (20T-48T, undetermined pitch at this stage), it would be great to have the dimensions, number of teeth and module of the pinion, gears and differential included for each model. That would ease the search for those who are in need for parts they can't find easily, with no reference identified in Tamiya world...

Thought it could be an idea, and therefore posted here.

A+
Marc
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66115

And thanks to Flo who participated into seeding this idea in my mind :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66118

Edou is our resident champion of pinions ... champinion? ;)

tamiyabase.com/...ns?start=1
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple, jord001

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66121

Great post!
Is there the same for gears and differential size? :-D

I'm actually searching for that one rather than the pinion. The Marui 024 pinion gear set can't be found anymore and was curious to see if I can find alternatives in Tamiya range :
  • either for an similar idle gear (20T-48T)
  • either for the whole set of idle gear and differential with a similar axles distance
But this list of pinions is actually a great one, once I have the mod of the pinion, I will be able to orient my search :-D

By the way, I already appreciate the documentation available on this site, as I could find the Marui Hunter manual...

Thanks in anycase to point me to this thread, Jonny :)

The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66135

Due my DF01 conversion project it got me searching for gears as mine has non for the moment.
In my search I found out the TA01/01 also take TL01 and M03 diffs.
I bet those are also fitted to loads of other vehicles as well.
No clue on the actual size or number of teeths etc..

I could use a gear/pinion chart for my Big Bears as well, one is missing gears and the other has gen 1 ones I think.
They are known to breakage.
If some 5mm steel pinions and a good diff could be used, I'm all for it.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66136

Well, in the case of the Marui Hunter, the diff is in perfect state on both chassis. So this is good. That being said, the idle gear is now extremely difficult to find. 

The idle gear is 20T-48T. The mall side is around 13mm external diameter, and the bigger side is around 31mm (I still have to unbuild to do more precise measurements). That being said, interestingly, while the idle gear position is set by the shaft location, 20T/13mm is what is needed for the differential. On the motor side, there is some latitude as the motor mount can be set and was adapted to multiple pinion size... Which means that anything around 48T could be good. I already identified some parts for Ricoh copiers which is 20T-50T. I'm not 100% sure it is the same module, but with the cost of the part, it may worth trying (as it is Japanese brand as well, it may be very well based on local availability and design habits)...

By the way, Richard, any indication on the size of the Big bear idle gear? It seems we can still find some, and I was wondering how much it is different, and I believe the differential was the same on all the 2WD Marui cars (Super Wheelies, Big Bear, Galaxy and Hunter)...

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66137

I need to pull my gearbox apart to measure.
Have not actually laid my eyes on any gear yet.
i'll get back to you 
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66139

As I unbuilt one of the chassis, this will allow to have better data on the problem

Idle gear :

Differential

This is apparently a 0.6 mod, but will need to confirm this precisely (thought it was 0.8 initially, and it appears smaller when checked with a DT03 pinion which is 0.8)

This gives better view of the problem....

Last edit: by silvertriple.

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66224

I have finally taken some measurements for you.
Let my know if you have problem reading my ramblings...

​​​​​​

I could not find my TL01 Speed Idler Gear, so that might have been used in one of my builds.

Database could include Pinion and gearing details... 2 years 11 months ago #66226

Thanks a lot.

First, no direct compatibility it seems for the 20T in 0.6 mod on the smaller side of the gear (I was expecting for the Black Speed gears, 2nd picture in your thread. 19T-47T, that was close! - Anyone who invent a process to add a tooth or it's equivalent on that one would definitely get my admiration :-D)... That's somehow kill the possibility of a direct combination, with some easy action such as shorten something...
Then I will have to read carefully your figures to identify possible combinations (diff + gears). But while doing this, I may also consider going for 0.8 and more reliable mod...

In the meantime, I've ordered printed idle gear with ball bearings bucket (search for alien8 shop as he has quite some proposals on Marui parts, for more than just the Hunter/Galaxy range... He has even a reinforced differential and idle gear for the Big Bear...). I will continue searching for options starting to look into those nicely written figures :-)

Thanks again, Richard... Will report progress on this and other ideas in my main Marui Hunter thread...
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, jord001

Last edit: by silvertriple.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.