Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61753

Hi all, I am looking for some advice and was hoping you guys might be able to help. I have recently bought my first crawler (cr-01) and am looking for a good controller to get the most out of the steering. I've always been pretty old school (my most modern controller being Acoms techniplus mk7) so really want a 2 stick controller. All of my other handsets are either Acoms or Futaba so if possible it would be nice to stick with that theme...

Thank you in advance for any help ✌️

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61754

Acoms did make a 2-stick, 2.4GHz set up to their demise around 2015, they occasionally pop up on eBay. They're vaugely reminiscent of prior models & feel ok in the hands.

Futaba I can't really help you with, I haven't kept up with them as any purchase on my part over the years has been accidental - like when Model Junction didn't have any Acoms sets in stock one day in 1999, or have come with used RC cars.

I generally buy 6-channel, 2-stick 2.4GHz units now, I really don't spend a lot as I like building a lot more than driving, they get a test drive and then sit on the shelf, but I like to convince myself that they're all runners :whistle:

These have the bonus of extra switches/potentiometers to control things like lights, but have the drawback of needing spring/ratchet swappery and making your own gates to get normal 2-stick control back.

Of these, the Planet T5 transmitter I think has the best quality feel, but they were always more money than similar units, and now seem quite rare. The Planet TS2+2 successor is not as good and is even rarer.

The Flysky FS-CT6B is competant (if fiddly to set up as it needs to be linked to a PC for some functions) but a bit cheap looking, the Flysky FS-i6 has a big LCD screen so you don't need the PC, but is very flight oriented. Hobbyking and Turnigy make cheaper (& more gaudy) set, they all work fine but you get what you pay for in terms of a quality feel...

All the above have a reciever that is not in the least bit waterproof, and will need a UBEC to drop the voltage to a safe level if you're using an early Tamiya ESC (TEU-101BK).

TBH I don't think I can recommend anything new or will work straight out of the box for you ... hopefully someone else can, but welcome on board anyway :)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, andymay_353

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61757

Hi Johnny, Thank you for your response, I'll definitely have a look at those models however I don't like the thought of the swappery tho 😬

That's part of the reason I still play old school, it was so much simpler then. Almost all of my cars have the old msc's in, so I'm still stuck in the 80s, my brakes still make me go backwards 🤣 however I know that it's only if I can make that leap of faith that I will get the best out of my cars.

I'll see if I can find some user manuals online and see what does what but at least now I have somewhere to start, thank you 👍

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61758

I'd definitely recommend going for a 2.4ghz set though - far less interference issues, no crystals to swap & worry about if someone else is on the same frequency, no long antenna to bend ... same with an Electronic Speed Control over a mechanical one - unless you've got a need to do lots of J turns, the much lower risk of fires & runaways has got to be a good thing :)

I've never handled one but the Carson Reflex Pro series might be an option (they get more expensive the more channels there are). The Futaba entry level option looks to be the T2HR.

:)

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61760

Star man, thank you 👍

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61761

You can still get the Futaba Attack 2 stick radio which is now 2.4GHz. I use it for my tanks and tractor trucks and it works well.
The following user(s) Liked this: andymay_353

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61767

Sure you want a stick radio?

Radiolink makes a 6ch transmitter that has a lot of features.
In a crawler you might like to have a winch, control it via the 3ch is the easy way if it has 3 pos.
2 pos can used to turn lights on and off.
HeyOk makes all kind og stuff ragarding controlling such items, and he also makes custom stuff.

I just got my own custom crawler, or scaler in my case up and running.
For time being I'm running TacTic 3ch transmitter and use the winch on a seperate remote.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61772

I'll have to have a looksie at that too, thank you. I should have done all this before I bought the car 🙄 (not that knowing would have stopped me buying though). #buynowpaylater 😁

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61773

Caprinut, your car looks pretty sick by the way 😁👌

Crawler advice please 3 years 6 months ago #61774

Thank you, will definitely have a look at this one 👍

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.