Keyword

TOPIC:

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61953

Old school in scaler/crawler world means 2010 and earlier.
Early 2000 there was no crawler/scaler kit on the market, you had to build it yourself from parts from different brands to make one.
There was the Bruiser, but parts was not that easy to come by and even then things was not exacly cheap.

In 2003 the Tamiya TLT came on the marked and suddenly people took these apart and started to build scale vehicles.
Vendors started to see people build stuff with these, mainly scale and trail rigs and parts for these came on the market.

As the Axial AX10 Scorpion/SCX10 did not enter the marked before 2008, TLT was the king of donor vehicle to use in the meantime before RC4WD started to make scale axles).

About 2003 right after the TLT came out, Regin started to make chassis kits so you could build your own scaler.
The K3-2S and K3-3L was very wide so you could use about every gearbox on the market, Traxxas Stampede was one of the popular ones.
Chassis is also designed such way the shocks are mounted on the inside of the chassis rails.
Other popular choices were 55turn lathe motors and Novak or Tamiya TEU101BK ESC (electric speed controller)
Most batteries was the size of normal Tamiya stick packs, so chassis had to have space for that.
Some solutions where better than others regarding placement of the batteries.

I lost my father in autumn 04' and I had to find something to take my mind elsewhere.
Those was also some of the first years I had internet and I stumbled upon Scale4x4rc forum, which is down at the moment.

The rig that inspired me to build these vehicles was with a Proline Courier body, HPI Geolandar tires and I belive it had a Regin chassis as well.
It did feature a external cage.
I'm not able to find pics of that now, but to say I was sold was an understatment.

Rccrawler.com is the other forum for vehicles like this. both scaler and the more hardcore crawler types.
There is loads of info there how to build things, build threads, tips, vendors that supply both crawler and scale parts.

These days there is loads of scale vehicles to choose from, like Axial SCX iii, Element Sanduro. SDD Raw builder kit, RC4WD etc to name a few.
Last 5 years have really taken off in that segment.

Next part is which vehicles I have built in the past based on TLT/Hi-Lift axles (Hi-LIft axles are based on TLT ones, but 6mm wider and have round diff housing, and both are based on the Tractor Truck axles)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61955

The very first TLT based rig I built was this in 05'
Chassis was cut out from a 5mm aluminium sheet with hacksaw and files and it had HPI Geolandar tires.
The first editions of this featured leaf springs, but it changed a lot over the years and finally became a Jeep.

My rig is the Bronco to the left

It later got a few prototype chassis rails that was made by a mate of mine (Midgaard Scale Chassis) and I was one of the test drivers.

This was the final version of my first build, 6.0 or something..

Next was project Flames.
Again TLT axles, cut down TL01 gearbox-later changed to Traxxas stampede, 60/40 link setup, handmade chassis of 3mm aluminium sheet-later running MFM chassis rails.

Latest version before I sold it.
Here is featured MFM chassis, Stampede gearbox, Yeah Racing portals modified to fit TLT axles and SDI fender flares.
Think I was first to use those portals on TLT axles. I belive they was made for the CR01.

Next was the 4x4 Lunchbox.
This featured a 6mm aluminium chassis made by another friend of mine, Stampede gearbox-later Axial SCX gearbox and touring car shocks.
Also this went through several stages.
Also made a styrene trailer for it, my first trailer and my first styrene project.
Sides was from my Lunchbox body that was to far gone.

Project Bugbuddy.
My buddy wanted a trail rig, trading his small rc collection in return for this, so he could drive with me.
My mate that made the Midgaard chassis made a custom aluminium chassis for me on his router since he was a sign maker.
Started off with a Blitzer Beetle body, TLT axles, resin scale engine at the back.
Also made a styrene trailer for it, my second time using styrene.
First edition was yellow.

Then painted Ford Focus RS green.

I then built a SWAT themed Ford F150 for a build off contest on one of the forums I'm on (came second).
This time it was on Hi-Lift axles, Bruiser frame, 4 linked at front, leaf springs in the rear, Stampede gearbox, brake line as rock sliders under the door and styrene front bumper, front bush guard and roof rack.
Body was New Bright and wheels Axial while tires was RC4WD Dirt Grabber.

And I do use my vehicles..

Built a trailer for this as well.
King Blackfoot bed and styrene.

I started on a 6x6 project that got stalled.
Leaf springs and TLT axles

56' Ford F100 4X4 project

And helped out a mate to continue to build this 8x8.
He had to move and sell it before it was finished.

Recent build is this 6x6 Bullhead which uses Hi-Lift axles. 1.9 Axial bedlocks wheels and stainless steel frame which was bent up by a mate of mine which is a roof fixer.

Think I've added all the builds that featured TLT based axles.
Only not listed is my 6x6 Scania I sold and one I'm building for a friend.
You can pretty much say TLT axles is my favorite axles to build on.
Easy to add 3/4 link suspension or leaf setup.

Next will be my actuall build.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, Edou, stingray-63, AndyAus, Al

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61956

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Thanks Richard.
It’s great to see someone’s passions dedication.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61958

Last week I messaged a chap on FB that whould sell a HeyOk light controller that will go into my SCX Rod project.
(If you need anything transmitter/receiver related, as led controller, servo adjuster, winch controller I strongly recomend checking out HeyOk Performance on FB or RCCrawler forum. He make those things from scratch and they are made to be used and are user friendly to install).

Anyway he sent me pictures of some old school crawler/scaler stuff that I instant recognized and he asked if I wanted them for the cost of shipping.
Could not say no to that, could I?

Parts as I received them.
They are pair of Tamiya TLT axles, Midgaard Scale Chassis (the long one) and Regin K3-2S chassis, the latter is the one I gonna use in this build.

Dusted off the axles and they seems to be in great condition for its age.

Tore everything apart and cleaned each item.

Diffs are already locked and that's what I want, so no need to pull the diff apart.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the TLT axles is based on the Tractor Truck axles as you find on Scania, Grand Hauler etc, they even has the same shape.
Hi-lift axles are also based on these, only difference is a bit different casing (round diff head), 6mm wider than TLT and the Hi-Lift axles can be locked via a setscrew in the metal diff casing.
Everything else is the same as fitting together, albeit the Tractor Truck half shafts are splined in the ends vs TLT/Hi-lift as the normal drive pin for the 12mm hex.
Inner bearing on the pinion is fitted.

Then the whole diff gear and half shaft assembly can put into the housing.
For trail/crawler use it is recomended to shim the diff.
Asiatees among others do sell 5mm shims in pack with different thicknes from 0.1-0.3mm.
Pinion should have a little play badword possible in and out of the casing when the diff is fitted, but it should still move freely.
One diff needed 1x0.1mm shim other needed one shim at both pinion and diff.

The diff gear (crown wheel) was coated with CV joint grease.
Here is where most doing it wrong on a trail rig,
Some slap loads of grease on the diff gear, but the important part is the teeth needs a grease that sticks to them, or else it is pointless.
On the axle shafts I did smear some marine grease.
The idea is the marine grease is waterproof, and wont let water pass beyond the bearings.
Marine grease don't seem to stick to gears that well, so that is why I did use two types of grease.
That should make them able to drive under the waterline.
And the sound level before and after fitting grease is unbeliveable.

Bolted together.
My pet hate is flat headed screws or non Tamiya cross headed ones.
So the flat headed bolts was guided to the trash can.
I'm using cap bolts or button heads whenever possible.

From the other side...
I plan on painting these semi flat black.

On these axles, the servo is mount on top of the casing via a servo plate and some stays.
In my case I'm removing these.
This is going to be my rear axle.

Removed...
For now I left the rount mounts staying.

In my parts bin I had this axle truss for years, maybe for as long as 10 years.
This will act as link mounts.
TLT kits came with either the triangular or the mount which the axle is resting on, depending where they are used.
I have plenty of those in my parts bin, new and used.

A closer look

TLT uses TA04 uprights.
Just a sidenote.
The uprights are offset in hight, so if they wont slip onto the half shafts, just swap sides.

I have no steering lockouts in my parts bin, so for now I'm using these short links that came with the axle to lock the steering.
Don't like rear steering on my rigs,
Rear lockouts for TLT axles are hard to find today, as most that made them just made them in small batches.
Will ask my friend down the road if he can 3d print some for me.

Front axle was made in the same manner, just refitted with the steering links that came with them.
I will make my own as I will with the 4 link suspension.

And here is the Regin K3-2S chassis assembled together again.
At lest I think it is the S version (short), it may be the L one (long), just cut down as I can see the ends is hacked off.
The Delrin cross braces are a bit too checed on, so I will see if I can make something.
This is the basic layout

Very wide

Has 2 options when it comes to my body of choice.
Either buy the last HPI Bronco body at my LHS, sadly the rc funds is all used this month.
Or take the Pajero body that have been sitting on my shelfs forever.
It was lacking a chassis anyway.
One of my friends started on this Icelandic body many moons ago, and I bought it when he wanted to sell it.
Wheels and tires are stock TLT for the Icelandic look.

I like where this is going

Last pic for this update.

I need two TLT wheels so I hope I can find a pair or two somewhere.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Last edit: by caprinut.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61959

Thanks Richard.
It’s great to see someone’s passions dedication.

Thank you!

Been on many trails, I like to walk my rigs lol.
Sadly due my ME illness, it gets longer and longer between each time I'm able to do some trails.
Last time my legs was aching for a week and they got very swollen.

But I was able to drive my SCX10 project last week and it was a long time since last time.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61960

I love your Lunchbox based rig! Looks so much better as a scaler than a monster truck. I'll be following your new build as well. I think that Pajero body looks cool.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61962

Lovely projects Richard. And this shogun body.. perfect.
Thanks for this thread.
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61971

I love your Lunchbox based rig! Looks so much better as a scaler than a monster truck. I'll be following your new build as well. I think that Pajero body looks cool.

Thank you!
Have always wanted a 4x4 Lunchbox, had to do it.
I also had plans for a Lunchbox with the orginal look ,but modified to 4x4.
From todays Tamiya parts bin I think the MF-01X chassis could be used, but you would clearly see it is not an orginal chassis..

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61972

Lovely projects Richard. And this shogun body.. perfect.
Thanks for this thread.

Thank you very much Flo!
I will make some how-to's along the way or tips if you will for making your own vehicle.

TLT based old school crawler/scaler build - Icelandic Pajero. 3 years 6 months ago #61975

YESSS.
And for the awd lunchy, the mf01 need to be the short wheelebase. The beetle is too long.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.