Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 2 years 6 months ago #68610

I bought this at the weekend from someone on TB for what I felt was a very good price :)

The chassis & bodywork are barely marked, and the level of dirt meant I didn’t give it any more than a quick clean up with baby wipes. That hasn’t entirely got rid of the “loft storage” odour though. 

There’s no driver (but that’s hardly a problem ;) ), and not having any paint or decals on just means no involved stripping before paint. 

I’ve already sorted the “untested” electrics. The TX had what appeared to be a duff power switch and /or corroded battery terminals but wasn’t either.

Most transmitters use wires from the battery contacts to the board, but the Acoms Techniplus Alpha relies on the contacts pushing into metallic pads. When your TX has been dunked in Coke and has long term damp related internal corrosion, the conductivity between the two really suffers, but fiddling with the switch and batteries causes enough pressure for the TX to work for a while. 

The ESC (an Msonik 4 ECO RV 27) problems were down to failing contacts in the battery connector, and I wasn’t happy with the existing solder joints or the levered out undersized Lucar motor bullets so cut back to sound wire as a fresh starting point. 

The motor (some sort of cheap – oilite bushes - Yokomo 27T, a single wind judging by the wire thickness) didn’t work, even after cleaning the brushes & holders – I don’t think it ever could have, looking where the -ve wire was connected.

It sounds quite whizzy after replacing the wires & lubrication it up :y: 

The steering servo (Acoms AS-12) and RX (Acoms AP-201) match the TX, and all just about right for one of the earliest Wild Willy 2’s, even if the level of grot does not match cleanliness of the car.

I don’t see the point of replacing a set of working, period correct electrics at the moment though. 

That said, I have no idea how old this car actually is, probably a lot less than 22. The bodywork is the brownest I’ve seen on a WW2, it’s not UV damage as it’s the same all over.  

I still have my boxart original 1999 Wild Willy 2, so I’ll be going in a different direction on this.An idea did pop into mind pretty much fully formed – it would be fun to do, but I have to think about resale value as it wouldn’t be a keeper if I go with that scheme. 

As arrived:

After electrics fixed & refitted: 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 2 years 6 months ago #68611

Poor joints & wrong connectors on the ESC:

Incorrect -ve connection on the motor:

Rotor marking:

:)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, jord001

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 2 years 6 months ago #68612

Dude. Pretty nice ww2 Jonny. I never saw this type of rotor. Cool to see that. 
The chassis is compact and fun. 

The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko, jord001

Last edit: by stingray-63.

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 2 years 6 months ago #68662

Interresting project!
Glad You got the motor spinning!
Motor can looks the same as a Reedy Fury and is most probably a Reedy Rage Type R.
I checked an old flyer, Reedy Catalog from 1999/2000 and price list says 40$,
very much in between slivercan and the modifieds.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, Lemsko

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 2 years 6 months ago #68665

Interresting project!
Glad You got the motor spinning!
Motor can looks the same as a Reedy Fury and is most probably a Reedy Rage Type R.
I checked an old flyer, Reedy Catalog from 1999/2000 and price list says 40$,
very much in between slivercan and the modifieds.

Thanks Notch :) The grey plastic on the endbell (rather than dark blue) point to it being the Type R :y:

ETA and the pointy end of the rotor shaft :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Notch

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 2 years 1 month ago #70614

Buying some decals - in case I want to go completely boxart - is as far as I've got on this :whistle:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 2 years 1 month ago #70619

The ww2 is always nice . Boxart or not
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 2 years 1 day ago #71110

Dismantled the body for paint - front grille is typical of the way it had been put together - one headlamp had evidence of CA and poly glue, the other side, nothing.

Masking for primer for the rollcage mounted fire extinguisher is tedious, but it's better than brushing on 6 coats of red, only for it to still be a bit translucent.

Bodywork in grey primer:

I was resigned to airbrushing Olive Drab & Buff, but then I remembered I have lots of NATO Green and Desert Sand left aerosols left over from massively miscalculating what I needed for my mini Maz - the latter colour looks nothing like the cap or example paintjob ....

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Lemsko, jord001

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 1 year 11 months ago #71179

Paint & assembly complete, it's tidy enough but nothing special. Which is probably just as well, I don't have the space to keep it.

I want to swap the motor for a silvercan & give the paint some more cure time (especially the Clear Orange & Clear Red), then it's on to eBay :)  

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, jord001

Wild Willy 2 Lumberjack 1 year 9 months ago #71974

A collection of new Wild Willy 2 body parts (can't call it a body set as there was no driver sprue) came up fairly cheap recently, so there's been a change of plan :D

I've opened up the front grille so I can use the separate radiator, filled in the back of the jerrycan, then primed in red oxide. This afternoon I airbrushed Hull Red/Sky Blue mix, then Orange/Flat Base mix (although I missed the tailgate  ) - it's practically Canadian Autumn camouflage ;)  It will be getting the salt treatment & a colour coat later, and a Lumberjack Willy driver.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Ducksnuts

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.