Keyword

TOPIC:

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 4 months ago #73156

Just testing some photo things..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by caprinut.

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 4 months ago #73170

Today I started on the roof marker lights.
First I chopped up some square rods, drilled them for led and chopped some 6.5mm styrene tube.
After the square tube had been rounded of by sanding it, I then sanded them round by my drill until they fitted the tubes.
When installed where I wanted the internal bit, I then marked and drilled two holes at an angle for the wires to go through.

The all the wires was fed through the tube from the outside.

Made a jig so I can solder on the leds 

The cone shape at the rear will come after the leds are soldered.
After the they will need finishing and paint.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, Lemsko, Ducksnuts

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 4 months ago #73171

BTW, I'm using network cable, thin and plyable and can be bent many times and still working.

Such cable do not like direct power from 3s battery (11.1v), but for receiver voltage which in most cases are around 5-6V or led kits power module, they are plenty enough.
An old network cable will last for many light projects as they have 8 wires each, bundled in 4 pairs.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 3 months ago #73215

Just watching a model kit video on youtube and it had great cheap tips in it.

The first one they listed was cellulose thinner works great as model sement, like Tamiya thin.
Downside, it stinks and not good for your lungs, so mask or well ventilated area is a must.
One of the watchers commented you can also use Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner which is 10 times cheaper than the Tamiya thin cement.

My thin cement is empty and my regular Tamiya cement is half used so I need to stock up sooner or later.
In my area I found cellulose thinner at 8 quid for 0.5 litre and 15 quid for the Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner which is 250ml.
Much cheaper than Tamiya cement or other model glue.

Since model kits are basicly styrene, I bet this will also work on regular styrene.

Most of the harmful liquid is not for sale to the public here in Norway, such as the stuff JR uses on styrene.
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 3 months ago #73218

DCM (dichloromethane, methylene chloride) hasn't been available to the public for years here either, quite how that regulation is supposed to propagate back in time to avert the anecdotal reports of like 2 deaths from unsafe, inappropriate use in the USA has always been beyond me ...

I have a bit left, but once it's gone I guess I'll be back to buying EMA Plastic Weld - I have nothing against it's efficacy, but with only 57ml in a bottle, it's clearly not aimed at large scale use. Plus, the tall, top heavy bottles have a propensity for throwing themselves over at the slightest provocation, so it's difficult to ever use a whole one, intentionally anyway. 

Their rather broken website ema-models.co.u...-57ml.html says there's a 500ml tin available, but I've been unable to find it, only a 300ml tinny of something with a different name - clearplastictub...ment-300ml With a delivery charge of 10 GBP + VAT, the cost doubles :S bit it's about 1/2 the cost of the little bottles.

I also found www.km-wholesal...ent-Cement - but I'm not happy about committing to checking out without knowing what the delivery cost will be (pig in a poke, etc).

:) 

The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Lemsko

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 3 months ago #73342

Saw this on FB: 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Lemsko

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 3 months ago #73354

Aceton on abs? Unsure about the result...

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 3 months ago #73357

Don't seem we have pure acetone or the other chemical for sale here in Norway.
In the past I did glue a styrene trailer with generic acetone, but the joints were very weak, to the point I had to reglue it many times.

Read somewhere that the Tamiya airbrush cleaner is actually the same as Tamiya thin cement.

Last week I did buy a 5l can of paint cleaner, not sure I will use it as it is has safety warning all over it, infact those is not for sale to the public, but is ment for automotive paint shops.
But it at least was cheap at 20 quid for 5 litre.

I just found out that a nearby hobbyshop is selling Plastic Magic by Deluxmaterials.
Still same size as Tamiya thin cement at 40ml, but a bit more expensive at 9 quid vs Tamiya at approx 6-8 quid depending on the seller.

For me it takes about 2-5 years to go through one of those 40ml bottles, so cost pr year is minimal anyway.

I do have a little update on this project, but lack of energy has kept me from posting..
Might take it for another testdrive later this week as we has got more snow and is expecting more the coming days.
Next week there will be above freezing again so it might be gone in a few days...
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 3 months ago #73359

My hobbyroom is really cold these days so it takes a while to warm up to comfy level.
At the moment it is the coldest room in my apartment and it has been down to -14C some nights.

But anyway last weekend I got the white milliput out (looks yellow due age) and made it cure overnight.
Next day I shaped the cone with help of my drill, sandpaper, knife and file.
Due the coldness I will probably just paint these black as I can not spray the chrome right now as my curing room is the storage room next door and it has no heating.

Did a trip to the lhs on Monday and with me I got packages of 2mm hardware, a number 6 paint brush and a RedCat 16 led kit.

I will use that light kit on this project.
The roof lights will be changed to yellow 3mm ones and most probably 2 of those headlights will be made into the marker lights on the fenders, also with 3mm led.
Some of these wires will be shortned, the rear ones will be lengthned and it will add a few servo connectors so I can remove the cab for service etc

The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Last edit: by caprinut.

Richard's 6x6 build from left over parts. 1 year 3 months ago #73368

Received the emergency lightbar I ordered a while ago today.
Had to test it.

I did order the long version that turned out to be a bit too long for the roof of this truck.
Oh well... Need to measure next time lol
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.