Keyword

TOPIC:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10016

OLD THREAD ALERT - skip to page 7 for the new stuff :)

Thread previously titled "Holiday Buggy De-Stupiding"

De-Stupiding? That's where something that seemed like a good idea at the time looks very stupid a bit later ... but you can do something about it.

Specifically, a vintage Holiday Buggy that I painted Ford Purple Velvet Metallic & applied a Cadbury's "Dairy Milk" chocolate theme - that one has only been out twice - and a rehash holiday buggy that I painted pink. That one has never been out of the house :blush:

To make it easier, I have the unused set of re-hash decals, plus a new re-hash body, and for the vintage HB, a set of decent repro stickers, luckily bought before Tamiya's clampdown - these are _not_ the tat currently being sold on eBay.

This is barely a project really - just a strip & repaint. All the bits I want to strip the paint off are ready to go .... interesting how well the paint had bonded to the polyethylene body - the stickers were a pig to get off, but once they'd started, rip them off quick & it takes the paint & primer right off too :blink:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10035

After two attacks with De-Solv-It graffitti remover (I'm also doing a XR311 driver & a 1/24 Lotus 7 at the same time):

After two more attempts, I'm calling it done:

I sanded the shell last time, so it changed colour after it dried off:

:)
Attachments:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10167

A little progress - body has had some grey primer on it, as have the jerrycans & hat, light buckets ditto plus two coats of satin black. Roofs and drivers head have had white primer, the light covers ditto plus Ford Signal Yellow and VW Alpine White as appropriate :)

I'm also eyeing my Lunchbox & Midnight Pumpkin ... now they spend most of their time on the shelf, the Star Wars X-Wing theme & the red with blue flames, respectively, are looking a bit, well, stupid :silly:
Attachments:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10183

Primer ...

And two coats of Renault Monaco Blue metallic ... now waiting on another can & the weather ...

Roofs got a gentle tickle with 2500 grit wet 'n' dry, then three coats of thinned down X-14 "Shy Blue", brushed on very quickly; jerrycans are XF-62 Olive Drab + some brown & silver:

Head & hat look better from a distance :whistle:

Attachments:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10206

The extra Monaco Blue paint for the vintage shell has arrvied, but no chance of using it due to bad wind ;)

I've given the lettering on the re-hash tires some attention, on the fronts I just took the tyres off, fitted them the other way round to hide the pink lettering I'd put on in its previous incarnation, but the rears only have lettering on one side. After picking off what I could with cocktail sticks, quite a bit of pink remained ...

... so I gave the rears a gentle brushing with a fibreglass pen ...

... before doing the lettering, this time with a pen:

I think that worked quite well - it's a lot quicker than using a tiny X-pointed screwdriver to dab paint in (a technique that was old when I first used c.1983)... search on "Pilot white extra fine" rather than buying it through the RC listings if you're looking on eBay - it makes is about 20% cheaper.

Slapped on the decals using soapy water as ever ...

... but where have the black rear slat decals gone? :(

I've ordered a 35T motor (hopefully a good compromised between the weedy 380 & a 540 27T that might be a bit much for the kit "dampers"), then it's just a matter of fitting some radio gear and actually using the thing :)

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10221

Wind was much better this morning, right up until the moment I pressed the nozzle on the aerosol, but I carried on & enough hit the car to call it a coat ... hoping to get some clear on later too :)

Attachments:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10234

Got the clear on:

:)
Attachments:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10411

Electrical bits fitted to the re-hash chassis - I do plan to run this, honest! :D

Finished the paint on the vintage one:

... and put a set of (decent) repro decals on:

This is a really poor bit of design - the screws are too big to ever get in deep even to be covered by the decals...

Again, I plan to fit some electric bits & run it, but it's finished for now :)

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 9 months ago #10440

Love the holiday buggy they look cool running i love the retro styling :)

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 2 months ago #17356

Just wondering how the paint has handled the test of time? I'm keen to redo mine, but worried it won't last :dry:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.