Keyword

TOPIC:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17361

Just wondering how the paint has handled the test of time? I'm keen to redo mine, but worried it won't last :dry:

TBH I haven't driven it since the repaint - too paranoid about breaking the gears :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17362

Ah, fair enough, I can see your point. I really want to paint mine, but scared it will flake and

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17374

Jonny, you're a wuss, get out there & play! Maybe look at a drivetrain mod if it CAN be a runner, using easily available parts, eg toothed belts/pulleys. Other option is buy standard single gears & fix them together to make the doubles.

Paint-wise, nothing properly sticks to polyethylene, but you could use flexible paint, which when dry behaves as a "glove" over the body rather than hanging on by being stuck to it (if that makes sense). Don't know what's available nowadays, but you used to be able to buy PVC paint for re-colouring vinyl upholstery etc in 1:1 cars. Haven't tried it, but lexan paint might work the same way too. I've also heard of people dying the body with fabric dyes (Again, can't comment on how successful that was)

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17387

Great re-do's JR, have you snapped any pic's of the 2 of them finished and together ? would like to see some anyhow :y: Andy :cheer:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Last edit: by AndyAus.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17388

Jonny, you're a wuss, get out there & play! Maybe look at a drivetrain mod if it CAN be a runner, using easily available parts, eg toothed belts/pulleys. Other option is buy standard single gears & fix them together to make the doubles.

Yeah! IMHO the gearbox was one of the most stupid things about the old Holiday Buggy - ripe for "de-stupiding" I think!

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17391

I have a cunning plan & have already ordered some bits :)

Looking at the 3 gears (all are 0.8 mod):

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17398

Blackholesun uses a lexan cover on his vintage Sand Rover . I assume such a cover may be useful for your Holiday Buggy as well. :)
Runner: Sand Viper , Mad Bull , BMW Z4 Hatsune Miku , Kyosho Sandmaster EZ
Project: Hot Shot, Holiday Buggy 2010 (narrowed), Monster Beetle, Super Fighter G, MINI Cooper S 2006
Retired: The Hornet
Still NIB: King Blackfoot

Last edit: by GregM.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17399

That'll be the TBG one :y:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17410

Cool Jonny! There'll be no stopping you with what you can make soon!
No critisism over the lathe here, the Unimat is supposed to be really good for what it is, & should be more than capable of hacking up plastic & ally for toy car bits! When it turns up, let me know what the story is with the tailstock & maybe between us we could come up with a chuck for it.

I could've sworn the final gear was identical to the SRB... I wonder what it was I hacked up for my XR311 then...

Best option for joining gears together is to bore a hole in the larger gear, machine a "nose" on the smaller one that is say 0.05mm larger than your hole, then press them together. For maximum non-fall-aparty-ness, drill & tap (Say M2) at the interface & threadlock a pair of grubscrews in. Or weld it, or CA glue it.

Motor plates - I drew up both 380 & 540, but can't for the life of me remember what topic I posted them on - do you want them emailing?

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 11 years 3 months ago #17437

Crap! The SRB spools arrived this morning - they're 0.6 mod :blush: :angry:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.