Keyword

TOPIC:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 1 month ago #27409

Does it work? - How well? :cheer:

...I have no idea how well this is going to work ...

as I'm waiting on shorter o-rings & have yet to test drive it :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 1 month ago #27410

... would it be possible to make it toothed like conventional drive belts?

Not with the kit I've got, and not with keeping the original motor mount ... check out this for example.

:)

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 1 month ago #27416

Thats a very impressive modification it makes the buggy much more interesting :y:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 1 month ago #27417

Surely it must be possible for somebody to get these parts re-manufactured at a reasonable cost?

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 1 month ago #27419

Surely it must be possible for somebody to get these parts re-manufactured at a reasonable cost?

It is if you're Tamiya & have the original moulds, otherwise, no :(

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 1 month ago #27420

It is if you're Tamiya & have the original moulds, otherwise, no :(

Then I guess a strongly worded message to Tamiya is required... This kind of support is just not acceptable, my car is only 30 years old, I expect parts support dammit. :dry:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 3 weeks ago #27895

A quick update on this - I did all the maths on what length belts I'd need, allowed for 10% stretch, threw that out & allowed for 30%, meaning I needed 25mm belts ... they slipped so badly the car only got a few metres on grass before slowing to a stop with the motor spinning flat out :(

I tried 20mm belts, it got a bit further, but not much.

18mm, I didn't even test drive as there was still slip.

16mm was the smallest diameter belt that would go on, but turning the back wheels, even with the belts as cold as they are ever going to be by leaving them overnight ... and they slip before even turning the motor. It might be ok for really gentle trundling about on tarmac, but I'm calling it a fail :(

I did have another look at toothed belts ... I didn't keep notes on exact sizes/lengths, but it was obvious the only was it was going to work (using the shortest belt & only option for the spool) would need a tensioner and primary reduction by gear to get the ratio in a useable range, a new mount, and a mount on the opposite side ... in other words it was going to look like (given my limited metal working facilities) a homemade version of the "lil belter" drive.

Plan D is to go back to trying to make cheap off the shelf gears work, I guess.

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 3 weeks ago #27911

... bit of a shame it didn't work, as otherwise I thought I did quite well :whistle:

Attachments:

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 3 weeks ago #27914

HI!... Is there anyway u can add a belt tensioner to it? Like a small pulley on a bearing. Have you tried scuffing up the "O" ring your using for a belt? Are the pulley's you made tapered so the belt gets wedged in the tighter it is?

Sand Rover / Holiday Buggy gearbox fix / SRB hybrids 10 years 3 weeks ago #27918

Yes, maybe the Pully's are too shiny inside.

You might also find some belt anti-slip spray goes a long way. This type of belt has to be under just the correct amount of tension to work.

Looks lovely so far though.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.