Keyword

TOPIC:

Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22560

Hi,

As my Avante restoration has stalled due to it being nearly done other than a hard to find body shell and somewhat pricey decals I went for something with a little more 'mileage' project wise.

Other than the wheels, bumper and shell what's there looks in OK shape. There are parts missing though so this is my shopping list:

Metal bearings
Wheels and tyres
Screw bag B (can't remember why)
Screw bag D (to replace rusty screws)
Body mounts
Body, wing and decals.
Tool Bag (for grease and those rubber sleeves that go over the rear shafts)
18T pinion
motor
esc
battery

I've already cleaned up the pastics so it's time to hit ebay.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22561

Hi Protean, is the chassis shared with the Subaru Brat?

Your build is looking good. :y:
<p>Current projects:</p>

Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22562

Hey, that's not my build, that's how I got it :) I dismantled it this morning so it's currently in bit's waiting for some spare time.... and a plan

J

Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22564

what other models have you worked on?
<p>Current projects:</p>

Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22565

This is my second, first was the Avante 2001.

I don't know if this chassis is the same as the brat, I do see parts advertised for both cars but how similar they are I don't know.

Re:Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22574

Except for wheels, body mounts and on/off switch placement the frog and brat are the same. If I'm remembering right the original release of the brat came with plastic pogo sticks for rear shocks.

Re:Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22576

;) You can find good body and spares ion eBay or tamico.
I definitively love the frog :y:

Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22586

Why "Frog Re-Release rescue"? You could have more plausibly called it a re-re Brat, or an original Frog - what you have there is a "bitsa" - "bitsa" this, "bitsa" that :)

For instance - wheels (which are salvageable IMO) are definitely vintage - you can tell by the dilapidation & the slot head screws.

Tyres are junk - but are vintage - you can tell by the deterioration & by the air holes in the rears.

Body is original - you can tell by the real sponsor logos, especially the NGK one

The bars across the top of the chassis are re-release, on the original it'd be a pressed aluminium plate to hold the MSC.

I'd go as far as to say the chassis is in fact a re-release brat - you can tell by the plastic insert between the inboard front suspension pressed aluminium bits - that should have an alloy post on top.

I just thought I'd mention it :whistle: as it might influence what direction you go with is ... TBH with the length of that shopping list, if you want a re-re Frog to sit on a shelf at the end of it, it'd be cheaper to try & find a whole re-re Frog kit - I've done similar "restorations" myself :pinch:

Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22588

Why "Frog Re-Release rescue"? You could have more plausibly called it a re-re Brat, or an original Frog - what you have there is a "bitsa" - "bitsa" this, "bitsa" that :)

Because I don't know any better :) It was sold as re-release and the box and manual would indicate that too. I have only got to page two of the build as I'm missing screws for the various front section parts but it's all matching up at the moment.

For instance - wheels (which are salvageable IMO) are definitely vintage - you can tell by the dilapidation & the slot head screws.

Tyres are junk - but are vintage - you can tell by the deterioration & by the air holes in the rears.

Body is original - you can tell by the real sponsor logos, especially the NGK one

The bars across the top of the chassis are re-release, on the original it'd be a pressed aluminium plate to hold the MSC.

I'd go as far as to say the chassis is in fact a re-release brat - you can tell by the plastic insert between the inboard front suspension pressed aluminium bits - that should have an alloy post on top.

I just thought I'd mention it :whistle: as it might influence what direction you go with is ... TBH with the length of that shopping list, if you want a re-re Frog to sit on a shelf at the end of it, it'd be cheaper to try & find a whole re-re Frog kit - I've done similar "restorations" myself :pinch:

Hmm all good to know thanks. I did think of buying a re-release kit but I'm definitely after a running Frog and project, it just seems more fun somehow, that and I wouldn't get to know any of this stuff otherwise! If I find any vintage parts online I'll be sure to get them.

Good to now about the wheels too. I'll keep them and look into some kind of paint remover but if I get impatient then re-release wheels are quite available :)

Attachments:

Frog Re-Release rescue 10 years 9 months ago #22636

@Protean - If you are not using that Brat front body mount, I would be interested in it. The one on my sons Brat broke when I dropped it down the stairs :blush: I still have the alloy post, but the plastic bit broke.

edit: Kamtec sell the Frog wing on its own quite cheaply - Click here.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.