Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 9 months ago #29691

Just picked up the roughest looking hotshot ever has been stored in someones damp garage and the screw have corroded quite badly i was wondering if anyone had a method for removing the rust from the screws effectively? I plan on rebuilding it to be a basher as i dont want to get my shelf queens dirty.Its a re release so no sacrilege is involved im happy to say :)

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 9 months ago #29692

One front arm (upper) is damaged in an impact which is why im guessing its been laid up i have a set of vintage upper arms spare will these fit the re release chassis? anyone have any parts to donate id appreciate it :laugh:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 9 months ago #29696

If you're not worried about the colour of the screws, you can "oil-blue" them -
Wire brush them to get the surface rust off (Smooth as you can for the best final finish),
then give them a wash in thinners or petrol to degrease.
Have a METAL tin full of old (Black) engine oil to hand.
Heat the parts to dull cherry red, then drop them into the oil.
When you retrieve them, they should be a pleasing black colour, similar to the look of cap screws.
The following user(s) Liked this: tamiya nut

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 8 months ago #29839

Long shot but does anyone have one of these in their toolbox front gearbox mounting has a hairline crack in one hole part E1 thanks in advance if you do

Attachments:

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 8 months ago #29841

:) Nut,
I bought a thunder tiger "the tiger " 4WDS in kit, but too many spares are missing for me. It is a hotshot clone but with 4 wheeles steering. If you are interested to make a scratch...
send me a PM if you want.

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 8 months ago #29846

Thanks stingray but i already have four hotshots and im bidding on a fifth with supershot suspension so my quota is filled....for now

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 8 months ago #29852

:woohoo: You maybe have some spares for sale??????
Like empty gearboxes, upper arms and 1 red 3 holes upright??? to begin.

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 8 months ago #29865

Sorry stingray no spares on that front and what i have i keep for runner repairs

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 8 months ago #29869

It s nothing split thanks for your response

Dog rough hotshot 9 years 8 months ago #29885

Hi I use apple cider vinegar it is a mild acid just did all the ones on my Rough rider put them in a jar with the vinegar give it a shake every so often leave for a day drain vinegar fill jar with water and some bi carb to neutralize acid give it a shake drain drop the in to wd 40 to stop future rust quick polish good as new but I only did this on the shinny nickel plate ones did not try on the black ones but it worked great ate all the rust
Rob

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.