Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My M chassis builds 2 years 6 months ago #68609

She's a beaut Johnny!!   
The following user(s) Liked this: Lemsko, jord001

My M chassis builds 2 years 4 months ago #69433

I like having an NIB RC kit to build over Christmas, but I don’t get to do it every year – I think this will only be the 4th time in the last 10 years, and that’s including last years’ Karmann Ghia I’d divided up beforehand to do a bit every day during Advent. 

The Blockhead Motors Wild One was the obvious choice for this year – but when it came to it, I just didn’t want to pay the regular retail price (275-285 GBP) for a car that was going to look exactly the same as everyone else’s – let alone the eBay scalper’s inflated prices. 

Instead, I look for the cheapest, actually in stock, new kit I could find – which at the time was an NSU TT, complete with ESC, shipped for 103 GBP.  

It arrived today – I believe this is the first one I’ve ever had that’s arrived sealed in shrinkwrap. There was a big label (in German) on the back advertising a Carson radio/servo/battery/charger set, so I think it’s safe to assume it was originally intended for Germany, but the manual is predominantly in English, with German/French/Japanese notes. 

I’ve had one of these before - as a donor chassis, possibly for my “Snowy” Mini build & sold the body on after some light backward modifications to change into the base model NSU Prinz – losing the chin spoiler, window tinting & sponsor decals, but also attempting to close the boot (trunk) lid.   TBH I think that’s best left alone this time, especially as I want to use magnetic body mounts. 

I would like to paint it a slightly bluer shade of grey this time – that means mixing up some of my ever-dwindling supply of PC paints & doing a test spray to see if it’ll bond well enough to epoxy the magnets on – and more importantly, not pull the paint straight off. My though is almost certainly not – but as there’s no suitable PS shade it’s worth a try. Alternatives are using Corsa grey again (backed with blue of some sort this time), or going straight for PS-3 Light Blue. 

First order of business is to get some Lexan to test – and the best source of that is the trimmings from the body.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Ducksnuts

My M chassis builds 2 years 4 months ago #69436

Old Baby Blue (the lighter one) recipe is 2ml PC-1 White +4 drops PC-4 Blue + 2 drops PC-5 Black + 2ml X20A Thinner, Baby Bluer (the darker one) is the same apart from having twice as much blue in it, each sample is 4 coats airbrushed on rapid succession (I wanted to get on with the curry for tea ;) ), but allowing each coat to flash off before the next. 

I will leave it as long as I can resist before epoxying some magnets on :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

My M chassis builds 2 years 4 months ago #69437

Was aiming for something close to a genuine colour for it - these two found on wikipedia show I could go a lot bluer, and possibly add a drop or two of green...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

My M chassis builds 2 years 4 months ago #69439

This on the other hand is PS-3 Light Blue, of which I have a new can. It's bright, but it's not hugely wrong. Backing it with Corsa Grey (I have enough in a can to do that) would take a bit of the oomph away. Other options are PS-4 Blue, PS-5 Black - neither of which would suit it IMO, PS-1 White (meh), or, you know, actually buy another colour ;)  

The problem with that is only the PS-32 Corsa Grey actually appeals. I don't want to repeat myself, but it did look pretty good on the previous NSU body I painted ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

My M chassis builds 2 years 4 months ago #69440

Nice to see another advent build.

I had planned to do a build myself, but with model kit.
But I soon realized that I had too little stuff to do a build.
Need to order some paint, brushes etc.
Ah well, guess I can do it later..
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.