Keyword

TOPIC:

My M chassis builds 8 years 6 months ago #35597

:( A lot of us are enthusiast for you Jonny.

Yep +1 on that. :cry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35683

This is getting tedious ... I bought another motor/gearbox from HK & built a very abbreviated version of the Ford V-8 Y-block engine (no gearbox or lower leg of the Y) and it still doesn't fit.

I need to loose another 10mm or so off the bottom of the crankcase to clear the front shock tower - not a huge problem but it does mean there's no room for the vibration motor any more.

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35684

Cut a hole in the hood?
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35685

:) Happy that you go back on your pumpkins Jonny. And the hole in the hood is a nice hotrod idea.

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35704

Cut a hole in the hood?

Nothing wrong with a good hood scoop. B)

Last edit: by Edou.

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35705

;) la classe!

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35712

A hood cutout was really not the direction I wanted to go with it, so I cut even more off the bottom of the engine, then added an abbreviated gearbox/spacer to hold it in place.

I added inner wings/fenders & put the bonnet/hood back on & it was actually looking quite good - even if it was obvious another key element of what I wanted to achieve (servo opening hood) was going to have to go due to space constraints.

I thought I could just use a simple prop to hold the hood open, but something objected to being propped open for 30 seconds for the the photo & the hood would no longer close properly. Every tweak I tried made it worse, up to the point where it had graunched so badly & so often on the new edge I'd put on the scuttle panel that it needed cutting out & replacing.

I've admitted defeat/completely lost patience on this one. so I've salvaged the useful bits from the chassis (electrics, bearings, the CVA shocks I added) & the rest has already gone for recycling/landfill. It's really been no fun whatsoever, my failure here has been a combination of trying to work at a scale smaller than I'm capable of (not being able to replicate the cantilever hood hinges at 1:12), and the Tamiya chassis being well, awful (for my purposes at least).

I haven't entirely abandoned the idea - but if I have another go, it'd have to be a bigger pickup body (Ranger or clod Chevy?) on a much better (scratch built/non-Tamiya) chassis.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Dam

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35713

Unfortunately you win some and lose some :ohmy: But this is what makes us appreciate our win's :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35714

The perfection isn't in our world. Your work was really nice. I am unpatient to see your new way with a clod or ranger body. :y:

My M chassis builds 8 years 5 months ago #35719

Still, a lot of nice work in this thread for the rest of us to study and admire :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.580 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.