• Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 58663 Toyoya Hilux (CC-01) Build 5 years 2 months ago #53808

• blakbird
  • blakbird's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Formidable!
  • Formidable!
This model has a very unusual genesis. Most Tamiya R/C models can be grouped into one of three backgrounds. Some models are scale versions of a real type of vehicle. For example, 58098 is a 1/10 scale model of a ~1990 Ferrari F40. Other models take that even further and are scale versions of a specific example of a vehicle. For example, 58168 is a 1/10 scale model of the #28 Renault Alpine A110 driven by Ove Andersson to win the 1971 Monte Carlo Rally. Finally, some models have no basis in reality and are purely fanciful. For example, the 58083 Saint Dragon doesn't look like anything that has ever existed. Of course there are many more subcategories that can be added, but this is a good baseline.

Our story all started with the RN36 Toyota Hilux truck first released in 1978. In 1985 Tamiya released the 58048 Bruiser which is a scale version of this truck, but has been modified to look much different than a standard street version by lifting the truck and putting on huge tires. Tamiya also came up with the "Hog Heaven" graphics scheme. So far as I am aware, this was not based on any real Toyota Hilux monster truck anyone had built. But that didn't stop people from making 1:1 versions of the Tamiya Bruiser over the years. Fast forward to 2017, and Toyota made a real life Bruiser replica from a modern Hilux truck using the "Hog Heaven" graphics scheme. This was a reverse scale model actually based off the R/C. But why stop there? Tamiya then released a CC-01 Hilux based on Toyota's modern tribute and called it 58663. So here we have scale model of a specific truck which itself is a tribute to an R/C model of an older type of truck.

I really like scale trucks, but I am typically not a huge fan of Lexan bodies because they don't have the accuracy of hard shells. However, being a lover (and owner) of the original Bruiser, I couldn't pass up on this opportunity to own the tribute model and display them together. Unlike the original, the CC-01 is almost all plastic and does not have leaf springs. It also does not have the huge lift or giant tires. The similarities are in the graphics and the fact that both are Hilux models. I built my model entirely stock. The kit included a light kit, so the only updates I made were to add a few more lights to fill up the available light buckets.

The Hilux comes in a lovely box, but with a photograph instead of the more traditional Tamiya artwork. Note that nowhere on the box does it make any reference to the name "Bruiser" though there is no mistaking it if you have ever seen the original.

Because I have already built several other CC-01's. I did not record most of the build process here. For those interested in more information about the build of this chassis, a detailed build record of another CC-01 can be found on my Land Rover Defender page.
Of my 5 CC-01 chassis models, this Hilux is the only to use the long wheelbase option. The standard wheelbase from the Defender is shown on the left, and the longer wheelbase from this model on the right. The difference is in the location of the ball joints for the suspension and shocks as well as the length of the drive shaft. Having a longer wheelbase also means the inner fender does not really line up with the rear tire.
All of my remaining work consisted of preparing the lovely Lexan body. I started by trimming and drilling the body shell as shown.
The next step was applying the masking. I first cut and attached the kit supplied window masks as shown on the left. I then manually masked the areas to be painted white or black including the topper, the bumpers, the sliders, the grille, and the bed.
Time to start the paint. I expected this to be the same color as the original Bruiser, plain blue. However, the instructions call for PS-30 Brilliant Blue which I admit looks really good. I applied several coats of blue first and then removed the masking from the topper and the sliders. The right hand image shows the result after the application of the pearl white. I had a bit of problem with the thin pearl paint running, but luckily it is not noticeable since it was painted on the inside.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blakbird's 58663 Toyoya Hilux (CC-01) Build 5 years 2 months ago #53809

• blakbird
  • Away
  • Formidable!
  • Formidable!
After removing the next layer of masking I was able to apply the black as shown on the left. Normally you want to paint the darkest colors first, but since I always back my bodies in black anyway I chose to do it last. This requires the white to be plenty thick so the black does not show through. Finally, I removed the window masks and applied smoke for a tinted effect. This was not applied to the headlight and tail light areas which were kept clear.
Once the overspray film is removed the whole truck will be very glossy, but I actually want the bed to be matte black. Using matte black paint won't change anything since it is painted from the inside, so instead I trimmed away the film with a sharp knife over the bed and applied flat clear on the outside. The below pictures show before and after.
On the left you can see the finished paint with the overspray film removed. Looks glorious. I spent the next couple of days carefully cutting out and applying the nearly 100 stickers to get the final result on the right. The large stickers representing the stripes on the side are particularly difficult to apply straight without removing them or getting bubbles.
Once all the paint and stickers were applied I turned my attention to the mirrors and light buckets. The buckets for the tail lights need to be partially painted in transparent red, and the headlight buckets get some stickers. Both are installed with servo tape. The mirrors are retained with o-rings and body clips. Finally, I installed a TLU-01 lighting system which includes 6 LEDs in front and another 6 in back. Four came with the kit and the rest I added myself. Although this body has far fewer plastic details than the Defender, I think the final result looks very good indeed. One possible issue is that the rear of the truck hangs far behind the chassis so you need to be careful when lifting the model.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Blakbird's 58663 Toyoya Hilux (CC-01) Build 5 years 2 months ago #53810

• blakbird
  • Away
  • Formidable!
  • Formidable!
Here are some photos of the completed truck both an and off road.
Here we can see the CC-01 Bruiser next to his larger ancestor. There are really not many similarities apart from decoration. The wheelbases and scale are roughly equal, but the details of the chassis and ride height are vastly different. The photo on the right shows the original Bruiser model in front of the full size modern Hilux which later inspired this CC-01 model.

Blakbird's 58663 Toyoya Hilux (CC-01) Build 5 years 2 months ago #53815

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi Blakbird, great write up and pictures. I don't think the first Hilux was 1978. I think it was more like 1982. '78 was the year of the Rough Rider.

" Our story all started with the RN36 Toyota Hilux truck first released in 1978. "

I think the RN36 relates to the Brusier.

Last edit: by Al.

Blakbird's 58663 Toyoya Hilux (CC-01) Build 5 years 2 months ago #53827

• blakbird
  • Away
  • Formidable!
  • Formidable!

Hi Blakbird, great write up and pictures. I don't think the first Hilux was 1978. I think it was more like 1982. '78 was the year of the Rough Rider.

" Our story all started with the RN36 Toyota Hilux truck first released in 1978. "

That sentence refers to the actual Toyota RN36 Hilux from 1978, not the Tamiya model. I guess the way I wrote it is not particularly clear.

Blakbird's 58663 Toyoya Hilux (CC-01) Build 5 years 2 months ago #53832

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers

That sentence refers to the actual Toyota RN36 Hilux from 1978, not the Tamiya model. I guess the way I wrote it is not particularly clear.

Sorry my mistake apologies. Nice work.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.