Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 56711 Hotshot Mini Build 4 years 3 months ago #58058

The TamTech Gear series of 1/12 scale vehicles came out in 2006. The touring cars used the GT-01 chassis and were available in both kit and RTR form. The GB series were smaller versions of classic 2WD buggies. On the GB-01 platform we got the Frog, Hornet, Fox, and Desert Gator. All were "Expert Built" only except for a standalone chassis kit with no body. The GB-02 series had trailing arm front suspension instead of double wishbone and was used only for the Buggy Champ. There was no kit version. Finally, the GB-03 was substantially different being the only 4WD version of any TamTech Gear model and was available only as the 56711 Hotshot Expert Built model which included a transmitter and, in some countries, a battery and charger. It was adverstised as the "first 4WD" chassis for Tamtech gear, but the whole line was discontinued shortly thereafter. Looking at the catalogs and marketing material of the time, Tamiya was pushing this new series pretty hard with full page ads everywhere. But for whatever reason, they didn't sell very well and were discontinued after only two years. Nothing sparks the interest of collectors like making something unavailable though, so now all these models are like gold and almost impossible to find.

The GB-03 is a ~1/12 - 1/14 scale version of the classic 4WD Hotshot from 1985. The whole line uses a very tame 370 sized motor along with other miniature electronics. There is no room for an MSC here. Instead Tamiya developed a tiny ESC just for these models which still works perfectly well. The model has four wheel double wishbone independent suspension just like the original, and the front suspension shares the mono-shock system as well. The rear shocks are not like the original longitudinal mono-shock though. In terms of appearance, the model does a very good job of replicating the original at a smaller scale.

For my other TamTech Gear touring cars I swapped in a much more powerful motor for higher speeds, but I think it is better to keep this model slow. It is more of a showpiece than a serious off-road racer since it is simply too small to conquer any significant obstacle or take jumps. I still drive it from time to time though.

It took a very long time to find a Tamtech Hotshot for sale, and I expected that I would get one in used condition and possibly not even functional. I wouldn't have imagined that I would find one new in box. I paid plenty for it, but it had been at the top of my list for a long time. I wanted to fully photograph the box from all angles since few people have probably even seen one of these (and I'm not keeping the box). There's a big window in the front displaying the model at an almost vertical angle. The transmitter is tucked in behind.
The bottom and end panels have a lot more information than the front and sides did. Here many of the features and specifications are elucidated.
Here is the model as it appeared straight out of the box. The model comes with an Expec SP transmitter which is a 2-channel AM unit. The included servo unique to this model because it does not have any mounting screw flanges. There's also a TEU-102BK ESC. It doesn't have a Li-Po cutoff but seems to work just fine with a 2s anyway. The body is painted and decorated expertly. Inside you see the drive shaft for the front gearbox which exists only in this single model. I replaced the receiver and transmitter with my standard radio gear, but the model is otherwise stock. Significant disassembly was required to access the receiver and replace it, and there are no build instructions.
Without a close look, you might not realize this is the 1/12 scale version instead of the standard 1/10 scale. However, the difference becomes very clear when placed next to the original. Other than size, pretty much every detail is different so the similarities are only superficial.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blakbird's 56711 Hotshot Mini Build 4 years 3 months ago #58059

A novice might not at first recognize this as anything other than a standard Hotshot, but the differences are there for the experienced eye to see. It is certainly a great looking model, though it lacks the cool rear shock system of the original.

Why have only two scales of Hotshot when you can have many?
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Blakbird's 56711 Hotshot Mini Build 4 years 3 months ago #58087

Always a pleasure to read builds. I used to have a Tam Tech Hotshot that I went through pretty well. Hyperion Y-22 short can 5000kv brushless on 3s was pretty bonkers. That being said, of all the Tam Tech series I expected a bit more of the sole 4wd offering. Still.. wish I had another. CrAzY me...
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.