Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 49475 DT-02 MS Build 3 years 8 months ago #61309

This is my first DT-02 chassis and was purchased as part of my plan to have a fleet of matching MS buggies. "MS" stands for "Satoshi Maezumi", one of Tamiya's team drivers, and this version has lots of upgrade options and Maezumi-san's pink, white, and blue paint scheme. This was released as a limited edition chassis kit without tires and using the Sand Viper body. The MS version costs a lot more than a regular DT-02, but when you consider that it comes with about $240 of upgrades in the box, it is a pretty good deal.

The DT-02 could hardly be more different from the DT-01. Where the DT-01 was strictly an entry level chassis with steering and suspension that were barely worthy to use those words, the DT-02 is rather refined by comparison. The difference is not so surprising when you consider the time period separating them. The DT-01 started way back in 1991 with the 57501 Rookie Rabbit. The DT-02 didn't show up until 14 years later with the 58340 Super Fighter G. My 49475 DT-02 MS version is a limited edition release from 2007.

This rear wheel drive buggy uses a plastic bathtub chassis with four wheel double wishbone suspension and CVA dampers. The MS version kicks this up a few notches with aluminum dampers, a ball differential, universal axles, and turnbuckles all around. With the addition of some Dual Block tires and a Sport Tuned motor, this thing is a great performer. It handles great and has just enough power for some fun oversteer in the corners with throttle. It's also an incredible looking buggy. The Sand Viper shell is well proportioned to begin with, but the beautiful livery takes it to another level. Highly recommended.

The DT-02 MS comes in a touring car sized box with a photograph on the cover. It does not have the TRF type box with a re-closable lid and handle. The right hand picture shows the parts arrayed on the table. 2WD buggies are always simpler than 4WD, but this is still a substantial number of parts.
There is no front gearbox but the bulkhead looks like a gearbox. The lower A-arms are pinned to the bulkhead. The plastic shock tower is integral to the bulkhead so it cannot be replaced with a carbon tower. The upper suspension arms are nice hardened turnbuckles. The addition of the front bumper completes the front suspension module after only 3 steps of building.
The rear gearbox uses a ball differential which is an upgrade from the bevel gear diff which would normally come with a DT-02. The left hand picture shows the partially assembled diff and the thrust bearing. The right hand image compares the completed ball diff to the gear diff housing which is also in the box (but without the internal gears). External dimensions are the same.

The ball differential is installed into the rear gearbox housing with a counter gear as shown. Full ball bearings were included with the kit.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blakbird's 49475 DT-02 MS Build 3 years 8 months ago #61310

I started my assembly using an extra standard silver can motor and the stock aluminum pinion. You can see the aluminum motor mount plate on the left. I wanted to upgrade the motor, but because of the motor heat sink shown on the right, only closed end bell motors are possible so I used a Sport Tuned motor. I also changed the pinion for a steel version from Robinson Racing.
This picture shows the lower A-arms and upper turnbuckles attached to the rear gearbox housing. At this point I had not yet installed the Sport Tuned motor.
Another upgrade included in the MS kit is this set of universal axles to replace the stock dog bones. The right hand image shows the completed rear suspension module and gearbox. Note how high above the main gearbox the spur gear protrudes.
This kit comes with the beautiful aluminum shocks designed for the DF-03, but which also fit the DT-02. The springs seem to be different. They appear to have more coils than on the DF-03 version which would make the spring rate lower (softer).
Once the shocks are installed we have fully completed front and rear suspension modules. All that remains is to bolt them to the chassis tub.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, alilake

Blakbird's 49475 DT-02 MS Build 3 years 8 months ago #61311

Here I've completed the rolling chassis by attaching the suspension modules and the battery cover. The battery sits longitudinally down the center of the chassis. The steering system is dirt simple with a high torque servo saver on the servo directly driving the steering turnbuckles. There are no cranks. The right hand image shows the electronics installed. There was ample leftover space. I did not at first realize that this kit does not come with tires so you see only the wheels installed here.
I really like the shape of this classic buggy body design which comes from the Sand Viper. The trimmed shape is pretty simple to achieve. The complex livery is accomplished with only two paint colors. The masking is not that complex because the stickers will cover the transition. I've masked the front of the body so I can paint the metallic blue first.
Here I've painted the metallic blue and then removed the masking from the front of the body. Note that I backed the blue with silver before removing the tape to bring out the metallic sheen. After than the white was applied.
With the window masks removed I applied a couple of coats of smoke to tint the windows, then followed the long task of applying the stickers. The stickers must perfectly align at the transitions to avoid an obvious discontinuity, and I made many errors. Removing the stickers to reposition them often resulted in tears (homonym intentional). In the end I think I hid the defects well.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Blakbird's 49475 DT-02 MS Build 3 years 8 months ago #61312

The wing was a bit more complicated than it looks. The overspray film needed to be removed so the wing could be painted from the back which meant manually masking the front. I also masked a portion at the rear to leave a clear line which you can barely see in the pictures. The large stickers were tricky to apply over the complex curvature.
The final buggy is a real beauty. I used standard grooved front tires and dual block rear tires in K (kit) compound. For this particular buggy I prefer them to the stickier C compound because I like to be able to oversteer with throttle. On the right I show off mywhole MS family: the TT-02B MS, the DT-02 MS, and the DF-03 MS.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Bullfrog, stingray-63

Blakbird's 49475 DT-02 MS Build 3 years 8 months ago #61314

Of the three MS styled buggies I own, I think this one is the best looking. It's not just a matter of the livery (which is very similar between the models), but the shape of the body and overall proportions of the model. It's just a really good looking buggy. The aluminum shocks really help it look amazing. The only quibble I have is that the front and rear wheels don't really match.
The following user(s) Liked this: Bullfrog, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Blakbird's 49475 DT-02 MS Build 3 years 8 months ago #61323

The dt02 is really fun to drive. Mine has a different front train. It has 2 arms and no turnbuckles like the ms and rere holiday buggy.
These colors are really beautifull.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.