Keyword

TOPIC:

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 6 days ago #65247

:D
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 4 days ago #65279

Tires are for something....

Not sure it is the tires... I believe the natural rebound of those chassis' suspension really help as well, as this machine is actually moving in the grass by doing jumps rather than a smooth moving...

Maybe thats how they came up with the name of the grasshopper :)   It's been so long I can't remember how the Hornet drove but I have one to rebuild so I will find out in the months to come. 

Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 3 years 4 days ago #65284

Sounds likely for the name of the chassis...
I buy kits to built and ru(i)n them :-)
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 2 years 11 months ago #65356

Paint job was today for the body.
Started process by applying windows masks and then liquid mask yesterday early afternoon. Did apply black on the roll cage yesterday evenning.

This morning, I started by removing the rest of the liquid mask. Objective was one single color for the body and wing, and some details being masked and painted under the body shell. (At the end, I can say, it would have been easier to work by zone with a two colors scheme, at least for the details).

Applied the few mask for the details I wanted on the body shell:

Then the next was applying orange fluo and white to back it.

I then started to remove the masking for the black zones...

While doing this, I noticed already the "Anytime Baby!" was probably too ambitious and decided to remove it completely and make the wing full fluorescent orange

Then applied black, removed masks for red and applied red, and white and black for backing...

Then some removal of masks again for the yellow part

And finally, removal of the last part of the masking before white, silver and black to finish the inside of the body

You may notice that the masking becomes extremely difficult to remove without damaging what is around due to the number of layers. Recuting this with a hobby knife may help. But it was too late to do it...

Final result on the body:

(I only show the good side - the details on the right side got broken partly due to the masking)..

Next is driver figures (I will do 2 drivers, one for the Hornet, and one for my DT03)...

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 2 years 11 months ago #65359

Few additional pics, with the body on the chassis...

The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, the11th, jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 2 years 11 months ago #65360

I love the under shell decals.
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 2 years 11 months ago #65363

I love the under shell decals.

Thanks. I maybe crazy doing this, but I like it: I've done them, using spray paint. That said, the result is not as good as I expected due to some issues wile removing the masks. But I really don't care. This buggy is mine, it is unperfect, and there won't be a second one just like this one. It's unique, and that what matters to me 

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 2 years 11 months ago #65364

The result is very nice. And the method very interesting. Congrats.
The following user(s) Liked this: silvertriple, jord001

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 2 years 11 months ago #65367

Thanks... That being said, if I have to redo it, I would basically remove all white details and letters and apply white at the same time as backing the orange fluo. Then while the black while backing the white... then red details and then finally yellow. I was reluctant doing this as the white needs proper backing when applying non black color after it.

Anycase, it's my second body I do this way. I'm still refining the workflow...

My Tamiya Re-Release Hornet for the Savoyarde 540 Cup... 2 years 11 months ago #65371

You've done a great job. It's an art form in itself painting backwards on Lexan. I never had the patience to paint like that back in the 80's, too much like hard work, I just whacked on some paint on to colour the body so I could go and race against my mates.
I will be attempting proper box art on my Lunchy, Hornet and on a 2nd Falcon body. I will attempt to remove and repaint the Quattro's, I will probably need some paint removal advice for those. If I can get a turbo optima pro body I will try a box art version of that too. I got minewith just a plain painted body. The duplicates and any other cars can have a simple paint job as they will be crashed at some point no doubt.
I have a vinyl cutter and also cut a lot of masks by hand for my artwork. I use grey Oracle Oramask fairly often so cutting masks should be a fairly simple thing, I hope! 

I use glass to practice my airbrushing, pinstriping & signwriting, Have you considered using a pane of glass to practice on? You just paint the back of the glass instead of the front for body practice. Its a hard surface which matches the bodies and you just scrape the paint off with a flat blade when its dry and you can start again. Saves screwing up a good Lexan body when experimenting with designs or what colour works best.  I know I will be adopting this technique before attempting any reverse painting. 

Lee
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, silvertriple

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.