Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66447

I was not particularly interested in the "comical" line of buggies when Tamiya first released them.  Putting out "super deformed" versions of classic buggies on a modern wheelie chassis seemed like a blatant cash grab.  They capitalize on the nostalgia of the historic buggies but have nothing in common with them.  Beyond that, even though all those old bodies had different chassis, these comical versions can all be released on the same chassis with only a slightly different body making development costs extremely low.  So I thought, meh.  Then they had to go and come out with an Avante version on a 4WD chassis.  Sigh.  Resistance....... failing.......

I pretty much buy anything that says Avante on it so that got me suckered into this one.  My expectations were low, but I actually ended up really liking it.  No, it isn't really an Avante, but it is a very solid chassis, with good handling for its height and great wheelie action.  It is a blast to drive, and that is mostly what Tamiya is all about.

This is the first model to use the GF-01CB chassis.  The GF-01 already existed for various wheelie models, the GF-01 Trail for the Monster Beetle Trail, and the G6-01 for the Konghead and subsequent models.  For this variant, the CB presumably stands for Comical Buggy.  It seems to be exactly the same base chassis as the old GF-01 but with a bunch of extra trees for bumpers, lights, and exhaust.  It has four wheel independent suspension, oil CVA shocks, 4WD, and even accepts modern batteries.  This is a very robust chassis.  The huge square block tires are new for this model but I'm sure they'll be used again.  There are more historic 4WD buggies to capitalize on.  So, while it is no replacement for a real Avante, is a load of fun and I can easily recommend it as a good buy for the price.

Except for the hubs, this chassis is extremely similar in construction to the GF-01 I documented earlier so I did not record most of the build process here.  For those interested in more information about the build of this chassis, a detailed build record of another GF-01 can be found on my  Monster Beetle Trail  page.

The Comical Avante comes in a photographic box which looks almost empty when you open it.  Everything is hidden underneath the pre-painted body.

The build actually involves a pretty big assortment of parts as you can see here.
The build starts with a pair of huge, open differentials with outer spur gears.  The internal gears are metal but take up only a fraction of the available space.     
The entire chassis is a big spur gearbox as shown.  If you are going to add ball bearings like I did, you will need a lot of them.  The kit comes with a plain silver can motor.  It feels like at least a Torque Tuned would have been a better match for a wheelie chassis.  I changed the stock aluminum pinion for steel.

Now I've installed the plastic CVA shocks, the suspension, and finally the electronics.  I just used a cheap analog servo and it seems to be fine.  I did switch to a Hobbywing ESC so I could use a LiPo for a little more wheelie punch.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66448

Here are some detail shots of the front and rear showing the light bars and exhaust pipes.

A cheap $7 light kit was all it took to add 4 white and 2 red LEDs and really kick up the appearance of this model.

Attachments:

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66449

The body comes pre-painted but uncut as shown.  The main body and wing are part of the same vacuum formed part.  The windows were nicely masked with nice sharp edges.  It is important when trimming to make sure not to flex the body too much or the paint can chip.     

Here is the body trimmed and test fit to the chassis.  On the right I've removed the protective film and applied the stickers which take a lot longer than you might think.

This model comes with the newer anime style driver figure.  With larger features to paint and stickers for eyes, he ends up looking a lot more detailed than my usual drivers.

Here is the completed model with the driver installed and the wheels and tires attached.  These tires have really good grip.  The rear are wider than the front but the same diameter (which makes sense for 4WD).

This chibi version of the Avante is actually a pretty good match aesthetically for the original as you can see.  The proportions are all wrong (intentionally), but all the main design cues are there so it would be immediately recognizable even if the colors didn't match.
Attachments:

Last edit: by blakbird.

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66450

OK, it is not as good looking as the original Avante, but it is a pretty cute RC in its own right

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Last edit: by blakbird.

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66452

Yeahhh awesome. It's a tiny avante.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66454

Looks like a great little model. I've been looking at those tyres and wheels (more so the tyres) for ages. I'd buy them even though i don't have any wheels lol. I'd probably have to buy wheels too. Question is do they only fit the comical Avante? Or will they fit other models/buggies maybe.. 
Regards

Lee

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66461

Great to see a build of these.
And like always, your writing is spot on describing this vehicle.

Couple of questions.
What length do these use?
Is the WR-02CB wheels same size as Lunchbox ones? If so I might try to fit the rear tires onto Lunchbox wheels...
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66462

Richard, When I saw the tread pattern I wondered what they would fit, if they fit the Lunchy you know what's going on lunchy#3's Hot Wheels
Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66484

Looks like a great little model. I've been looking at those tyres and wheels (more so the tyres) for ages. I'd buy them even though i don't have any wheels lol. I'd probably have to buy wheels too. Question is do they only fit the comical Avante? Or will they fit other models/buggies maybe.. 

Great to see a build of these.
And like always, your writing is spot on describing this vehicle.

Couple of questions.
What length do these use?
Is the WR-02CB wheels same size as Lunchbox ones? If so I might try to fit the rear tires onto Lunchbox wheels...

Here are a couple of comparison pictures.  The WR-02CB wheels (rear shown) are the same diameter as the CW-01 wheels (56mm), but there are other differences.  The comical wheels use a standard 12mm hex like the GF-01 wheels but unlike the pins on the Lunchbox.  The offsets are about the same though, so I think you could make them fit on a CW-01 with a standard hex adapter.  Note that the LB wheels are much wider (65mm vs. 43mm).  I've also included a picture of a standard buggy wheel which has a much deeper offset so if you tried to use the comical wheels on a standard buggy you'd have a much wider track, but they would fit.  You can't use the comical tires with a LB wheel because of the width difference (I just tried it).  

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Jonny Retro, stingray-63, jord001

Blakbird's 58678 Comical Avante Build 2 years 10 months ago #66491

Thanks Blakbird. That's a shame about the LB wheels size difference. 

I am now wondering if I could make the 3D printed LB wheels shorter.  I will do some research on "IF" I could do the shortening of the wheels in a cad package and HOW. 

How much do you think we could get away with width wise?  If LB wheels are 65mm wide Do you think they would stretch onto 55mm or would it be too much? 

Thanks again for the info This could be fun. 

Regards

Lee
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.