Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66985

The first Tamiya RC model car ever was the 58001 Porsche 934 in 1976.  It was a little less than a year later in 1977 that the 58002 Porsche 935 was released on essentially the same chassis.  This was a very timely release because the real Porsche 935 had only just came out at that point.  It was also an interesting choice given that the 935 wouldn't win Le Mans until 1979.  There were several versions of the 935 raced and, based on the configuration of the spoiler, I think this one is the 935/77A in Martini livery.  It shares much of the body shape with the 934 except the slanted nose, the rear intakes, and the expanded spoiler. The 935 was a Group 5 car while the 934 was a Group 4 car.

All of the earliest Tamiya cars were in 1/12th scale.  While the 934 was released many times over the years, often in 1/10th scale, it took until 2008 for the 935 to be released in 1/12 scale on the Tamtech Gear GT-01 chassis as 57104.

The Tamtech gear series uses the GT-01 chassis which I described in detail on my Ferrari 288 GTO page.  The chassis is quite capable if you upgrade the motor.  Oil shocks are also advisable, but they are prohibitively expensive.  I also added a simple light kit to mine to increase the realism.  The body mounts from below which allows for the excellent exterior appearance with no protruding body posts.

This model is stunningly beautiful.  If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Because I have already built another GT-01, I did not record most of the build process here.  For those interested in more information about the build of this chassis, a detailed build record of another GT-01 can be found on my  Ferrari 288 GTO  page.

The box is just like the other Tamtech Gear boxes and about the same size as the box for a regular 1/10 scale chassis.  Inside though, the GT-01 has vastly more parts than a regular chassis.

Here are the parts arrayed on my building table.  There are lot of tiny fiddly bits here.

Even though I've built and photographed it before, every time I build one of these I marvel at the tiny and intricate complexity.  Bask in the glory.  I said bask!

The wheels were a little tricky.  They are molded in gray but the middle needs to be black and it is important that the dividing line be sharp but masking a perfect circle is impossible.  I started by roughly masking a polygon instead and then spraying the black.  I filled in the remaining areas with a black paint pen which allowed me to get right to the edges of the inner rim.  The black oil pen was a little shinier than the other paint so then I went over it all with flat clear.  It worked pretty well.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, mirrorman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by blakbird.

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66986

A closeup of the mounds of tiny ball joints and then the completed rolling chassis with painted wheels.  Other than the wheels, this is identical to my other GT-01 chassis.

I was able to set the entire body over the chassis before even trimming it to see how it fit.  On the right I've trimmed it out.  The other Tamtech Gear models I've built have come with a trimmed body but this one did not.

Now I've test fit all of the plastic parts which will need to attach to the body.  There are a lot of them.  You can see the incredible complexity of the rear of the body.  The polycarbonate is completely open and all the bumper, wing, and tail light details are hard plastic.  The white part of the intercooler is the same part used on the 934 which makes sense since a 935 body is just a 934 with a body kit.

I used some of my new Tamiya masking sheets which come with plastic attached to mask the area for the front red splitter.  Everything else will be white.  The window masks are already trimmed on the sheet.

Attachments:

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66987

That's a lot of stickers.  A lot.  This easily took as long to decorate as any other model I've ever done.  The left hand sheet is all window trim.  The middle sheet is for the spoiler and is redundant with some stickers on the right sheet, but I think it was included because it has thicker stickers which are more opaque and look better on top of a black spoiler.     

On the left you can see the stickers applied to all the plastic parts.  I did this first to break of the monotony of the long sticker project.  On the right I've also installed a simple light kit which makes this model look much better and more real.

I didn't cover the whole model with masking when I painted the red because I figured there was plenty of space between the bumper and everything else so there wouldn't be any overspray.  I was wrong.  The left hand side of the car has a large reddish blotch which showed up after the white was sprayed as shown which was devastating to me.  The stickers partially hide it, but not entirely.

Here is the completed body which looks great from every angle.  Some of the stickers go around corners which makes them very difficult to keep smooth and even more difficult to align with adjacent stickers.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, mirrorman

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66988

The only part used from this tree is the driver.  Everything else is for the 934 and not used here.

Here's a look at the model with the lights on.  Awesome.

Have to get one glory shot of this latest Tamtech model with my others.  I really love these little things.  Get them.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Jonny Retro, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, mirrorman

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66989

It would be hard to come up with a Tamiya polycarbonate body, or a hard body, or a body from another manufacturer, which looks as good as this one.  This has got to be one of the best looking models I've ever built and painted.  It was quite a chore, but it was worth it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63, jord001, mirrorman

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66990

Here is the real car for comparison.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66994

Nice job.

I have this same kit stashed away to build one day soon.

As well as it's sister car , the Tamtech Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66995

Fantastic looking body indeed!

Would not mind have one of those along with my two Countachs. 
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, mirrorman

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66996

No one has ever said that to me before.
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001, mirrorman

Blakbird's 57104 Porsche 935 Build 2 years 9 months ago #66999

No one has ever said that to me before.

LOL - 

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.