Keyword

TOPIC:

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72304

Bodywork has completely outgassed & is in from the shed & hanging up indoors, everything else has been ultrasonically cleaned - including the back axle which still refuses to come apart. Even the sprue I ordered from Spain has arrived - and in less than 2 weeks   ;)

Superglue (CA) seemed to be the only thing that would glue the broken bits together, I've also braced them with black Milliput. I have new gearbox parts so will use those in preference, but I will need the repaired the axle U bolt spacers.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72305

I spent some time yesterday trying to determine exactly what the Mammoth Dump Truck is based on - there are a surprising number of manufacturers of this type of vehicle, spread all over the world, and "giant" versions such as this have been made since the 1950s.

My conclusion - the 1:1 version was the US made Dresser "Haulpak" 830E of 1984 to 1990 - but the Mammoth is not a great scale version. Tyres and wheelbase may be 1:20ish, but width and height are way under scale. Length is way off too, so it's really a 1:32 "stumpy" version.
And of a "medium" size rock truck too - check out the Belaz 75710 for comparison www.youtube.com...elaz+75710 

There were all manner of specs & variations on these, this is the pic that not only resembles the Mammoth most closely, but is also least likely to be subject to a take down request. I've also sent this info to larbut for inclusion in the 1:1 database :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72307

Yes very similar. Same tires have the same profil.

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72309

I spent some time yesterday trying to determine exactly what the Mammoth Dump Truck is based on - there are a surprising number of manufacturers of this type of vehicle, spread all over the world, and "giant" versions such as this have been made since the 1950s.

My conclusion - the 1:1 version was the US made Dresser "Haulpak" 830E of 1984 to 1990 - but the Mammoth is not a great scale version. Tyres and wheelbase may be 1:20ish, but width and height are way under scale. Length is way off too, so it's really a 1:32 "stumpy" version.

I had concluded it was a Liebherr T282, but I think your idea looks closer.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, stingray-63

Last edit: by blakbird.

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72310

That's definitely one of the manufacturers I looked at, the T284 also has the ribs on the bed sides. They all tend to be yellow, enormous and have multiple ladders so you're never going to be far wrong :)

TBH I still haven't decided what identification I'm going to go with on mine, probably not the kit decals, more likely the Haulpak blue stripes & downplay the Dresser branding because the same truck was WABCO before that & Komatsu after.

I'm still really tempted to forgo realism in favour of TONKA :D

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72333

Found the bag of parts & fittings I'd collected when I first dismantled the bodywork, and forgot to clean 

Railings were worse than I remembered, after sanding the rust off I reblued them. I don't have a full set of rails, I have 7 or 9 of the step side rails (need 4), both corner rails, one side rail (need 2), and no front rail at all.

I used one of the spare step rails to make a side rail, then realised the metal is a bit thinner, so redid it in 2mm brass. New front rail is also brass, bent to what looked right from photos.

Four of the rail mount points where the rails fit were broken beyond repair, a fifth was pretty far gone so I'd removed that too ... I machined replacements from 5mm round brass, it was as fiddly and time consuming as you might imagine.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before - making the 5 missing plastic uprights from styrene forms - 2mm round rod & 3.2mm round tube.

All part temporarily fitted - I'm going paint the white bits, and the new bent brass too. The bases I may leave in bare metal :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Lemsko, Ducksnuts

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72334

Excellent work JR 😊
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72335

Also spotted some evidence that some of the truck had been artfully muddied up, a light coat of medium brown airbrushed on in places - and most of it cleaned off before it got to me. The most obvious were in the crevices of the wheels, and one set of the triple headlights being covered - but neither set of bodywork. All of the exposed black plastic chassis parts are less shiny that you'd expect from that sort of plastic 

TBH I get the distinct impression that someone had an incomplete/damaged Mammoth, bought two more to make one really good shelfer - and this one was put together from the 2nd best bits, and given a light spray of WD40 to make it look better. I've bought worse though - a Kyosho Optima with a hardboard chassis springs to mind 

I initially thought that the radio (Acoms "mk.vii") had been there since it was new, but as there's no provenance so I'm going to use a Futaba Attack 2ER set - that's what I got when I bought a Wild Willy 2 new in 1999, if I'd bought a Mammoth a year later I would have done the same.   

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Lemsko

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72340

Wahooo top work jonny. 

58286 Mammoth Dump Truck 1 year 7 months ago #72385

DIY railings temporarily fixed to holders, primed & sprayed :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, AndyAus

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.