Keyword

TOPIC:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #8959

Index

Re-release Bruiser

page 1:  Re-re Bruiser kit arrived, starting build (frame rails)
page 2: build (rest of chassis)
page 3: body prep
page 4: modifying Sand Rover driver, starting on paint
page 5: more paint
page 6: more paint
page 7: LEDs
page8: Decals, test run
page 9: minor repairs.

HG P407 #1 (blue, modified)
page 9: kit arrived
page 10: working on DIY decals
page 11: OTS light kit fail (again), 12mm hex hub conversion, wheels
page 12: more work on decals
page 13: diff locking, chassis build
page 14: body mods, chassis build continues
page 15: chassis build continues
page 16: paint

HG P407 #2 (red, Mountain Rider clone)
page 16: kit arrived, paint
page 17: paint continued, chassis build

SMART PHONE WARNING - VERY OLD THREAD ALERT - go to page 9 for the new stuff :)

Well, it's arrived :D

TBH I still haven't worked out how I'm going to pay for it, at the moment it's being covered by an advanced accounting technique that I like to call _an overdraft_ :whistle:

I have done some fiddling with a Planet T5 TX (basically dismantling the left stick & rebuilding it 90 degrees out & with a homemade shift gate so the new up/down is sprung for the throttle & the left/right is lightly ratcheted for the gears.

The light unit I bought doesn't work with this TX (only 2-channel 27mhz sets as far as I can see), so I can use this TX & have the gearchange, but only a simple on/off for the lights, or I can have full function lights but no gears ... I think the gears win :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #8960

I'm looking forward to follow this build!
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #8962

+1 here. Awesome kit. B)

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #9001

Where's the walrus?
Sorry Jonny, I was jealous when you said you were getting one of these, but I'm really disappointed with the lack of bits you get for your money - I'd say there was 3x that for the highlift I paid 150gbp for (Pic's rubbish again, I know).
I must say though, I shall, like Edou & Lars, follow this with considerable interest!
Regarding that light kit, if you want to email me some pics, circuit diagram, destructions etc, I'll have a look at it & see if there's a way around using it with the new radio (eddrick@planet357.fsnet.co.uk)
Attachments:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #9124

I've been thinking about the essential pointlessness of the walrus brush Tamiya saw fit to include in the Bruiser kit ... I still can't think of anything it'll do better than a cheap toothbrush or washing up brush will do.

Previously, "bonus" items I think have just been bearings ... not enough to fully ballrace the car mind you - but at least they have some use. I would have thought a screwdriver or a decent hex driver instead of the Allen keys would have been much more impressive & useful.

I guess I'll be putting the brush in the box & leaving in the loft for 25 years on the offchance it gains some value, or at least it's presence will make the potential sale of a "boxed, barely used" Bruiser slightly more attractive :whistle:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #9125

Where's the walrus?

I seem to have lost it ... so here it is again:

:)
Attachments:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #9129

Enough odobenine shenanigans, on with the build:

Manual page 4, steps 1 & 2 - threadlocking & hanging a few bits off the chassis rails:

Page 4, steps 3 - 5: hanging more bits of the chassis & starting on the axles:

Page 6, steps 6 & 7: more the rear axle:

Page 7, steps 8 & 9: more on the front axle ... part way through I realised I'd left half the gears out of the diffs so had to go back :whistle: ... just as well really, even locking the rear diff would have meant only one wheel drive :blink:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #9132

Page 8, step 10 - fitting leaf springs.

This really ought to be three steps - a total of 62 parts + the axles need juggling here :whistle:

I found getting it all together a bit tricky, so I just did one "corner" at a time, then went back & undid one nut at a time to apply the threadlock. No idea why the "inside" M3 nuts are plain rather than flanged.

edit - note the cute little M2 locknuts & spanner - "Aah! Diddums!" :D

One for eddrick - note the weak spot :S

Page 9, steps 11 & 12 - fitting axles.

I had to undo all sixteen U-bolt nuts again to get the axle postion right - it's not clear in the manual in the preceeding steps, & there's no mark to line them up :angry:

I don't know why, but this type of instruction never fills me with confidence :whistle:

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #9137

Wrong kind of pliers too... where's the plastic protection? :S

2012 re-re Bruiser & HG P407 clone builds 11 years 11 months ago #9138

I was just looking at how far I'd got ... it's nice to have so much metal on a kit, but with all the different colour bits & all the nuts & bolts, it really looks like ... well, Meccano :sick:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.