Keyword

TOPIC:

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46472

there are no other solutions, in front of us goes the V8 engine.
The rod must pass below

Oh come on, there are lots of other possibilities, off the top of my head these are things you could/should try:

- keep the servo in a similar position but lifted so the steering rod runs parallel with the frame rail;

- ditto but lay the servo on its side;

- similar to what you already have but higher & forward of the firewall (and/or put a "power bulge" in the firewall)

- lose the OE servo saver & fit the servo pointing backwards, with a modern saver;

- similar, but with the servo further back, you don't need all the space unless you're putting a Merlin in there.

- similar, but with the servo even further back & remodel/sacrifice some of the sump, it's not like it's a real engine & you need the oil;

What you've done there is stop at the first kludge that worked and called it a "solution" :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46473

Nice project....

Keep us posted, i'd love to see it finished :y: :y:
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46477

• frog66
  • frog66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
yes maybe as you say there are many solutions.
The engine is definitely bulky, the solution I have found should not be problematic, the car is high on the ground and then it will mount slick tires, suitable for smooth surface use, so no possibility of damage to the servo.
I also prefer not to use modern parts.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46478

• frog66
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Engine come from dragster Lindberg.

Last edit: by frog66.

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46481

What you've done there is stop at the first kludge that worked and called it a "solution" :whistle:

Is this the right place to post such a comment ?
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Last edit: by Manotas.

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46484

Hey guys,
I really like where this is going now :) . Was that the 1/12 Fiat dragster kit that donated the engine?? I have seen some nice builds of it too.
I agree the steering setup leaves a bit to be desired but it is neatly executed and for a flat track car damaging it shouldn’t be an issue. I think for off road there might be better solutions but that is why we post things here with our friends…to get their input and inspirations too :y: . We all have our own way of doing things don't we ;) ;)

It reminds me of a problem I dealt with many years ago on a VW dragster we were running. Originally I had built the chassis with a side shifter linkage but after the first season we knew it wasn’t working out, So I came up with the crazy idea to mount a vertical gate shifter in the center of the rail and couple it directly to the transaxle shift rails….hmmm….without going into great details, space was very tight so my only real option was to run a couple of the shift rods under the floor of the rail, not the best idea but the other option was to bore a hole through the drivers groin! :sick:

For some reason he was not interested in option 2 :laugh:

Due to the dragster aspect of the car it was never a problem. We just had to be aware they were protruding when we were loading and unloading the car. The new shifter solved all our shifting problems too. :y:

I like the upside down servo installation too, how thick is that floor sheet? It looks fairly stout.
My question is are you going to brace the joint where the frame rails meet the roll bar or is the floor thick enough to hold it?

Great work man, it is giving me lots of ideas…can’t wait to see the rear slick tires on it!!
:y: :y:
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Last edit: by oldwilly.

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46485

• frog66
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
The engine comes from the Lindberg Exterminator 2 kit on scale 1/8.
It may look great, but the dimensions are suitable for this model
The floor is often 5 mm, the aluminum lists are fixed directly to it
giving the overall robustness needed.
Regarding the steering to me it seemed a good idea, of course, all things can be improved, but that works and I'm satisfied.
Thank you for your consideration.

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46487

If That work, keep it. It is your project. If you need advices, all we are here. You make a good job. :y:

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46489

• frog66
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

If That work, keep it. It is your project. If you need advices, all we are here. You make a good job. :y:

Of course, the forum serves to confront and increase its knowledge.
Critics and suggestions are welcome.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Sand Scorcher MK 1 Hot Rod 6 years 5 months ago #46499

• frog66
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Now the wheels are made of aluminum.
I know the tires are not made for r / c use, but unfortunately I did not find anything else.
However they appear to be quite resistant to use on carpet or palquet.

The following user(s) Liked this: VCR

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.