Keyword

TOPIC:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 11 months ago #59180

I'm very much tied to using standard size servos due to the design of the front axles & the space they occupy in the chassis - but I looked, the problem servo is a sanwa SRM-102, they are rated at 3kg & TBH I think it had a hard life before I got it.

I have Towerpro MG996R and equivalent hobbyking units in my servo organiser, they are rated at 9.4kg at 4.8v and 11kg at 6v. Between that & moving the battery to the rear, I really expect to resolve the problem.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 11 months ago #59298

Battery hidden under tarp on oversized pallet, I've made some more corner stops so I can lash it down in the back.

Note the colour difference between this & the load cover I made earlier, the cloth is the same but I found my old(er) box of resin & thought I ought to use it up ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 11 months ago #59311

Nice!!!

Do you just poor resin on top and brush it outwards?
Looks brilliant!

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 11 months ago #59321

Nice!!!

Do you just poor resin on top and brush it outwards?
Looks brilliant!

it might look like that from the runs on the side, but it really needs brushing in all over (after masking the battery & pallet with insulation tape). Penetration isn't very good through the material (unwashed calico) & needed touching up onthe outside where I'd used tape to hold the shape & on the inside (folded ends etc).

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 11 months ago #59340

Battery relocated to the back, there's still room in there for 1:10 euro pallets & other fake loads.

Front axle servo is still a little slow but the truck now runs & manouvres indoors fine :)

Wiring is complete (if a bit untidy & full of dry joints) so all the LEDs work - the left side blackout lamp comes on with the engine; the three headlamps, orange side marker lights & 4x tailights are controlled by one potentiometer on the TX; the flashing amber lamps & top spotlight by the other pot.

I need to sort a couple of things on the cab floor - it's still loose & needs some way of locking it in place, and the pedals will need to be fixed to the soles of Willy's boots - but I'm almost ready to take it apart for painting.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 11 months ago #59342

The wiring is so clean... I need to learn your method Jonny.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 9 months ago #61235

I thought I just had to do a bit of dismantling & everything would be ready to paint ... so not the case.

So far I've got the tyres off the wheels (4 were superglued) & turned down the chewed up bits, but I still have to clean them & strip the chrome off 4 & find the other 4 hubcap assemblies.

I've also added parts so the cab floor can be screwed in place, added spacers to all the brass rails & handles on the cab so they don't get knocked inwards, done two rounds of filling & sanding where the roof had wrinkled in places. The cab (after a lot of faff dismantling the wiring loom) & all the small parts need mounting/handing before I can prime them.

I've taken the canvas tilit off, masked off the elastic & ordered some cheap "Desert Sand" rattle cans to spray it.

I still need to make a top cover/fusebox holder/switch mount panel for the fake engine, and dismantle the rest of the chassis - which TBH is no less intimidating ...

:blink:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 9 months ago #61238

Update - just found the other 4 hubcaps, along with another 6 better wheels & 2 better tyres that apparently I'd earmarked for this project :whistle:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 8 months ago #61295

Taking this apart was much more of an undertaking than I thought it would be, but everything is apart & is now in four crates (or at least, piles) - #1 bits that need grey synthetic lacquer type primer before spraying green; #2 bits that need white acrylic primer; #3 bits that need grey acrylic primer before satin black paint; #4 mostly bits that don't need paint.

This is part of lot #2 after the primer ... it's very pale :whistle:

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 3 years 8 months ago #61300

Wohh. Lots of parts....

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.