Keyword

TOPIC:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #56978

This build has come a long way. Your first few photos were pretty rectangular, but the detail you've managed to add since then is incredible.
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57054

Most of the cab details are done, including fitting the jerry cans, fire extinguishers & beacons I made earlier, coaming locates the body on the chassis & is held on with 11 (5 & a 1/2 pairs) of thin 10mm neodymium magnets - I don't think it's enough so I have bought some more 2mm thick magnets & will complete the last pair, add two more pairs on the front, and double up all round.

It's also turned more into a Maz 527G, so the numberplate is no longer that accurate :blush:

:)

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57055

Awesome detailing Jonny

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57056

Great work, Jonny! :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57113

Made some very basic seats so I could modify the Willy driver figure:
- Dremelled off the seatbelts;
- cut the collar out & rotated it backwards for a more upright head position, filled the cap with wedges of scrap styrene & then Squadron putty;
- fitted the arms at different angles & braced with styrene wedges, then filled with Milliput;
- cut off the gloves & rotated approx 90 degrees;
- added more back/thighs to suit the seat with more milliput, giving it some light carving wihile still a bit soft.

The arm/hand positions suit the stock Willy steering wheel at quite a steep angle - but the steering wheel should be a huge one nearly horizontal, if I manage to make one more suitable I'll have to readjust the hands again.

Seats had strips of thin styrene added, followed by lots of sanding to make the edges rounder, then thin round rod for the piping.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Sam

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57115

• Sam
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
That's amazing craftsmanship; the detail is great Jonny. What's the material you use to create/build these pieces?

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57118

That's amazing craftsmanship; the detail is great Jonny. What's the material you use to create/build these pieces?

Thanks Sam, it's principally styrene sheet, pretty much exclusively bought from Station Road Baseboards in 100+ GBP loads to qualify for free post, smaller quantities (and some times "seconds") from their eBay shop here .

I also use quite a bit of styrene tubes & forms - Evergreen brand is far superior - mostly bought from Kitlady on eBay.

If you're interested, I wrote up everything I know on scratchbuilding in a number of articles (with worked examples) starting here .

The following user(s) Liked this: Sam

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57119

Working on the jumbo steering wheel - started with 3mm thick bit of styrene, cut to shape & sanded a hemispherical edge on the outside, dremmelled out the inside & put a half round on that edge too, made a centre boss & three over-length spokes ...

Attachments:

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57120

Spokes cut to length & shaped/angled appropriately before sticking together - wheel is dished by c. 10mm.

Also started working on fitting the seats - I want the bench higher & further forward than the jump seats, spacers (and bulkhead hole position) seemed the easiest way.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Sam

8x4 MAZ/MA3 535A from Lunchkins 4 years 5 months ago #57123

I like that.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.