Keyword

TOPIC:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #3926

edit 2nd july 2020 - I've merged a couple of threads to make this the repository for all my Wild Willy, Willy's Wheeler and Honda City Turbo projects :)

Index:

Wild Willy M38 LWB (USN flyer paint scheme):
page 1 - as found on ebay, dismantling & damage discovery, aluminium grille
page 2 - wheel, body & bumper repair
page 3 - ditto (continued) , front bumper fail, primer, paint, grille mods, decals, DIY bumper
page 4 - metal polishing
page 5 - build
page 6 - parts discussion
page 7 - sold, and regrets

Vintage Willly's Wheeler (#5 yellow livery)
page 8 - parts needed
page 10 - bearing list, DIY decals, polishing "glass", Ebbro diecasts/alternative paint schemes
page 11 - paint stripping
page 12 - body repairs, willy painting ,wheel repairs, chassis strip, DIY K8 steering pips
page 13 - DIY/Fastrax headlamp lenses, bumper repairs, DIY mounting block,
page 14 - DIY rollbar, wheel painting
page 15 - body paint & rubbing out, rear light strip & repaint, decalling body, alternative paint scheme drivers, polishing parts, full list of replacement fasteners
page 16 - rebuild

Wild Willy M38 SWB
page 14 - paint stripping, Jerrycan back mod, driver body painting
page 15 - more drivers, separate body parts
page 17 - chassis as arrived, parts needed
page 18 - parts discussion
page 19 - ditto
page 20 - DIY underguards
page 21 - paint stripping, grille repairs, wheel repairs, drivers, paint
page 22 - wheel painting, DIY bulkhead
page 23 - chassis & mech box lid repairs, SWB vs LWB parts discussion
page 24 - more parts discussion, rebuilds
page 25 - body set boxart discussion

Wild Willy M38 LWB
page 16 - "before" state
pages 17 to 25 - in parallel with M38 SWB

Honda City Turbo (Wheeler re-release) in #3 Fuchsia (pink) scheme
page 25 - DIY decals, paint, build
page 26 - build continues, details, decals, CVA shocks

"Cheep Jeep" - faked M38 body on DIY chassis w/ toy mechanicals & canvas topper
page 27 - planning & parts
page 28 - chassis building
page 29 - window brackets fakery, topper sewing
page 30 - painting
page 31 - outdoor finished pics

Vintage Willly's Wheeler (#1 teal "green" livery)
page 31 - as arrived, DIY decals
page 32 - rear light stripping, glass polishing, dismantling, pinseal ABS, 3D printed Mech box lid
page 33 - paint stripping
page 34 - DIY Splitter, body & wheel repairs, mech box lid filling/priming, Shapeways 'roo bar
page 35 - bleached bumper block, paint, #1 decals
page 36 - chassis build
page 37 - chassis build continued, re-re body comparisons

#2 (sky blue) & #4 (red) Honda City Turbo Racing (Wheeler re-release)
page 38 - drivers, kit 7 part built, decals, extra vinyl cuts, part built chassis rebuild, #2 finished
page 39 - #4 done

original 1st post:

I really must stop looking on eBay ... I manaaged to resist the charms of an FF01 Mondeo (I really don't need a 4th one :silly: ), and a McLaren MP4/13 (very, very cheap for an NIB, but if I am going to get an F1 car, it'd have to be a 4WD for me to stand any chance of controlling it), but just "had" to have this Wild Willy, as it was such a "bargain".

Note to self: it's only a baragin if you acutally _need_ it :S

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro. Reason: index mods

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #3929

I'm sure that is a very sound investment into your own mental health :lol:
Wild Willy looks good as well. I have never seen one with the roll bar painted like that, but it looks very good.
Even the front grille looks to be in one piece? If so, that is every rare.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #3932

... I have never seen one with the roll bar painted like that...

Don't worry, I'll be hitting that with paint stripper - the rollbar is supposed to represent foam biffons over a tube, so it's painted the wrong way round :S

... Even the front grille looks to be in one piece? If so, that is every rare...

No chance - I suspect the missing winch won't have fallen off, it'll have got ripped off, along with the mounts & the lower parts of the grille bars - note the suspicious looking black area at the bottom of the grille area ...

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #3937

No chance - I suspect the missing winch won't have fallen off, it'll have got ripped off, along with the mounts & the lower parts of the grille bars - note the suspicious looking black area at the bottom of the grille area ...

As the optimist I am, I thought of the black area as the left behind shadow of the now gone winch :dry: :blush:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #3986

Should have taken some photos when it arrived - or at least before I dismantled it ... anyway, here are the bad bits:

Bumper wasn't broken in the eBay listing, I guess the repair failed in transit ...

Top gearbox mount points are cracked ...

... and one of the sway bar mounts has pulled out ...

Front spring gaiters are almost as hard as the nylon chassis parts ...

Grille is rough (as expected), body is fine apart from a "chip" on the leading edge ...

Box lid broken on both screw points

Pinion very ropy ... probably mostly damage from attempting to remove it from the (missing) motor ...

Rear arm pivots are inexplicably bent ... luckily the spare pair are ok...

Only have one of these ...

Tailgate is broken, as usual; windscreen is cracked & end of wiper is missing ...

Tyres are ok - half worn, sidewall cracks go about 1/2 way through, and one is worn unevenly - but at least they're all present & useable...

Just in case there's any doubt about the size difference between WW & Scorcher/Grasshopper tyres ...

This is what happens when use you use your Willy on tarmac:

Never seen wheels broken like that ... age, bad driving but mostly incorrect lubrication are responsible...

MSC, resistor pack, alloy servo mount & switch boot are all missing :(

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #3987

Quite a few things to attend to here...
It seems to have had a pretty hard life. I have never seen the rear arm pivots bent like that before.
Did the seller "forget to mention all these flaws, or were you aware of it?

-Lars

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #3988

Quite a few things to attend to here...
It seems to have had a pretty hard life. I have never seen the rear arm pivots bent like that before.
Did the seller "forget to mention all these flaws, or were you aware of it?

-Lars

Description was:
"This is an original M38. No motor or electrics. Comes with pinion, screws and washers for the motor, Spare axle, new glass. The jeep has some damage to the grill and a chip on the bonnet. I think the gearbox on the jeep has a damaged gear ( struggles to wheelie) but should be able to fix with the spare axle."

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #3989

wow and I thought the trio I bought had had a hard life.
compared to your pics mine were almost mint. :whistle:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #4506

Laser cut alloy grille from Jules (aka "monster_beetle") on TC ... needs some fettling/filing ... and I'll probably polishing it too - no hiding it under paint :D

Attachments:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 12 years 4 months ago #4508

Looks great. B)

Jules (aka "monster_beetle") on TC

He's also the owner of the Dutch Tamiya site Tamiyagekken ...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.