Keyword

TOPIC:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 10 years 1 month ago #27691

Great idea with the manual paged pictures.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 10 years 1 month ago #27702

:woohoo: AWESOME :y:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 9 years 7 months ago #30442

I decided to get rid of the Wild Willy Body Set box (TBH I can't be bothered to pack it up & take it to the post office for less than 10GBP + the postage, so that'll be the price) but I did have a good look at it & it is quite interesting ...

As usual for this vintage of box, although it does have the traditional boxart picture on the sides, a more technical, side view takes pride of place on the box top.

It also has two suggestions for alternative paint schemes - the sort of "camouflage" scheme I used to paint on Airfix kits as a 6-year old with a very limited selection of Humbrol tinlet; and a nasty looking "flame" effect.

More interestingly, the "action" pic is one I don't think I've seen before. Note the lack of any sort of a hole or slot in the rear suspension arm pivot, and the get up Willy is wearing - I guess this mean it's some sort of prototype, but if boxart (and publicity shots) take precedence over what's in the manual, should this prototype take precedence over that? I'm not about to strip & repaint my drivers, but I can see me painting up a couple of new ones over the winter.

Somewhere we've definitely been going wrong though is the back of the rollbar mounted spot lights - from the body set art you can clearly see they're supposed to be chrome - and that's clearly visible in the regular boxart drawing, and the prototype running shot too.

(by way of confirmation, I just looked in a couple of catalogues & RC guides too - p.83 of the '85 catalogue has the prototype from another angle, the back cover of the 1983 RC Guide Book has the same boxart & sideview pics. As for the built car pics, the green one appears to have black spotlight shells, the camouflage one, camouflage).

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: Dam

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 9 years 7 months ago #30449

• Dam
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Nice spot on the box art, I never noticed the chrome backing bowls on the spotties :y:. I love looking at the boxes, I particularly like the black silhouette's on some boxes. I've got to be honest, I kinda like the red orange yellow colour scheme. I've never seen one done like that, and it would be so unique to own a true original. Plus they are my favourite colours :) . One of each would look cool as well, if only ;)

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 8 years 11 months ago #34070

I posted in the Wheeler re-release thread that I'd got one, well I've started some work on it & this made sense as somewhere to post it ... I will build it boxart, but with a twist - the vintage one I did as #5, yellow, so this one will be #3, dark pink, or light red ... or whatever else you want to call it. "Fuchsia" is the what the vinyl manufacturer calls it.

Techniques were the same as always - new numerals & mirror images drawn up in Paint Shop Pro, printed on paper & stuck to the back of self adhesive vinyl (dark blue, Fuchsia, black, & white as appropriate) before being cut out, plus some printing on clear inkjet vinyl, and some on white inkjet vinyl too. Front & rear "Hyper Turbo" decals will come from the kit sheet. :)

Attachments:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 8 years 11 months ago #34117

Mould lines sanded off front & rear bumpers + roof edges, superfluous holes plugged ...

Driver head glued & sanded, screw hole plugged; body roof plugs sanded back:

Stamp on inside:

I'm still skeptical about the rear body post arrangement, but the middle of the sandwich is at aleast nic alloy:

Attachments:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 8 years 11 months ago #34130

Had really good spraying weather over the last couple of days (yesterday 22C/<50% humidity, today 16C/<35% :blink: barely any wind on either) and have made excellent progress ... but have I ever mentioned how much I dislike white paint? ;)

I didn't get any runs, but spraying clear over white paint, over white primer, over a new white shell must be the worst combination for not being able to see where you've been ... in fact I did miss a bit (LHS door, just behind left front wheelarch spat) & had to puff on a bit more colour coat :blush:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 8 years 11 months ago #34170

Primed & rubbed down:

Colour (VW Alpine White) & Clear on body & wheels:

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 8 years 11 months ago #34235

Got a bit bored so built the re-re Wheeler today ... let's be honest, trying to keep something aside for Christmas when it's still April was always going to be problematic :whistle:

Opened the prebuilt gearbox to fit proper bearings (pages 17 & 18 of the manual cover gearbox "maintenance" in detail):

Going back to the beginning of the manual, pages 4 & 5 cover fitting the rear suspension & wheelie bar - note the spacers on the later to make up for the smaller diameter wheels:

Pages 6 & 7 cover fitting the steering servo - note the way Tamiya _still_ tell you to chew things up with Radio pliers :sick:

Pages 8 & 9 (+ the correction supplement) cover the front suspension & building the friction shocks:

My Wild Willy/Willy's Wheeler/Honda City Turbo Builds 8 years 11 months ago #34237

On TC there are some complaints that the body isnt sitting right on the chassis and the front wheels are rubbing the wheelarches. Looking forward to see how yours will turn out.

Xmass isnt till the end of May over here :silly: (thats the date Tamico is giving for estimated shipping date)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.