Keyword

TOPIC:

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 8 months ago #45050

Hey again,
Nice project ideas, I always seem to have trouble when I move away from the box art type paint jobs. I guess it might be something in my brain that believes that is the way a particular model should look....picture a 427 cobra....it is most likely an image of a Shelby blue one with white stripes isn't it.......
Way back in the dark ages when my local club use to race wild willy's most of us Willy's had the same paint job, the olive green plastic with some version of the box art decals. The only real difference would be in the color of the drivers, I recall mine having a red suit. Very few others ever did any body painting but one always sticks out in my mind.....This guy must have been quite a modeler, he was older than me, don't remember his name but I do remember his M38.
The body had been painted in flat black but the big thing was the driver. He had removed willy's head and replaced it with the head from the Alien movie creature :ohmy: , blacks and greys and sinister, with its inner and outer mouths' reaching out for it's next victim.....still gives me the creeps thinking about it, it was just so well done. At least according to my eye, I wish for the life of me I had a picture of it, I have never forgotten it.
Just an idea from way out in left field :) As for non stock paint I do have an abandoned Willy project on my shelf that I was painting yellow, I should really finish it........... and in my parts bin a fairly ratty Willy that someone painted med blue with florescent pink accents !! It really takes your lunch away when you see it :laugh: Must have been a very late 80's paint job.........

And thanks Jonny for the idea for a black Super Champ, I have also always liked those slightly different pictures of what must be one of the prototype champs with the different contingency decals and stripes...perhaps even hand painted..
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45778

...really takes your lunch away when you see it :laugh: ...

:laugh: :y:

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45779

Had another look and this ... and that looking turned into dismantling. This is the pile of bits I'll be keeping - though the stocks will have a bit more turned off the top, the ornamental driveshafts are so high they'll get it the way so will be removed altogether, and the ball ends will have to come off the suspension arms to make it easier for me. Note the reciever/speed control - there are two much smaller ICs & some micro capacitors & resistors on the back, but there really isn't much there at all :blink:

Discard pile:

Closeup of the cutting I did to remove the switch & the get the battery plug free ... normally I wouldn't think about wreaking that sort of destruction on an innocent chassis, but it's going in the recycling bin anyway ....

:)
Attachments:

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45790

The fake driveshafts turned out not to be just there for show - the shock mounts and lowers arms are so close together that (at least in the way I've got them fitted to the "new" chassis) that the gearboxes are free to rotate around a point between the too, messing up ride height and wheelbase calculations - they work as control arms limiting that movement. I've connected the two to limit the movement somewhat, but to get it down to more tolerable limits I'll need to fit a plate at the bottom of the chassis & fake up some sort of gearbox/transfer box.

:)

Attachments:

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45791

Lovely jeep

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45858

Chassis complete ... not quite as I planned, but my "driveshaft" snapped in the middle while sitting on the bench :whistle: & I had to do a bit of surgery to get at it for repairs ... then it failed at one end before I'd even got it back together. In the end I cut the toy driveshafts right back to the ball at the gearbox end, drilled & tapped for studding (allthread) & used a Tamiya brass balljoint at the other - if if breaks again the only next step is to forego suspension entirely ...

Also started on the body - removing hood ribs & filling the two front body mount holes & adding a new one ... plus taking off the extra side details...

Further work - removing the other body ribs (and replacing the NOS bottle locators, as although they're "correct" for the vintage M38 on the Wild Willy 2/M151 body, they got in the way taking the floor ribs off so had to be sacrificed), filling in the antenna hole, and reinstating the driver footwell. I cut a notch in the Shapeways grille to better match the M38 version.

Bodywork is now in the shed, outgassing a heaving coat of grey primer :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: VCR

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45859

Beautifull Jonny. Top.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45865

This is a cool build, Jonnny!
And, it brings some weird thoughts to my head: When seeing the body on the chassis I thought the wheelbase looked too short. But, taking a second look, it's spot on and I realise my first thought was influenced by the original Wild Willy having a too long wheelbase for it's body... :ohmy:

It will, however take a bit more than that to convince me of the orange "shocks". I hope you have a funky/orange paint scheme for the body in mind, matching the shocks. :y: :cheer:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45869

Hey, that's really looking good man!
Can't wait to see the paint ideas, I really love how far " out of the box" this one is. :side:
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #45884

I think you're going to be disappointed - the shocks & wheels are orange + the chassis white only because I haven't done any painting yet ... the plan is still to do the fairly tame camo paint from the Tamiya catalogue:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.