Keyword

TOPIC:

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 7 months ago #45885

:y: Approuved Jonny. This camo is pretty nice. And sticks to the season. ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 7 months ago #45903

Camo is cool! :y:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 7 months ago #45931

Working on making the windscreen more like the M38 - top is M151/Wild Willy 2, bottom is vintage - note the differences, hole is too big & in the wrong place, back needs a lot of fiddly trimming:

Making the stays - started with by making a template of a pair of vintage items with self adhesive vinyl ...

Drew a pretty version, printed out, stuck to Aluminium sheet approximately the right thickness, and roughly cut out ...

After filing, drilling & tapping - best described as sock shaped?

Bent to shape, installed & tweaked to fit:

Detail pics ... they could stand a bit more finishing, but I'm fairly happy with them :)

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 7 months ago #45932

Another hard work on an exciting project. :y:

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #46096

Barely any progress here either, I've thrown some primer on some of the bodywork, driver etc has filler on (& needs sanding back), chassis is now dismantled - including endless hours separating the wheels & tyres ... glue was fresh, suprisingly high quality/well bonded with no exposure to dirt or UV/age & as the wheels were of dubious heritage I wasn't going to try heating them - that left the scalpel. Still lots to come off, I think I#m going to try turning it off in the lathe :blink:

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #46270

Minor bit of catching up - glue/remaining rubber machined off the wheels; also filled the three dimples on the spare wheel, then realised that side is covered by the sticker & it's the inside ones that really need doing :whistle:

Spent ages looking for the cloth roof I'd made before, only to find I'd sold it some time ago in a box of "RC stuff I'll never need". :whistle: again. However I did keep the template, this agrees enough with the one Lars posted to be not worth making a different one, principle differences were the width of the valley fold needed for the sewn in support bar, and the width of the rear window.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #46271

... and what I've been doing the last few days - roof all sewn up (it's probably a better fit than the first one I made, but standard of finish isn't so good :( )

Roof rolled back so I could mask the bodywork..

Resin applied, note where it's soaked through and appears to be adhering ...

... should have used electrical tape :whistle:

Residue dremelled off, and how it stands ATM:

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, VCR

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #46272

Nice roof Jonny. The front is maybe a little too wide and rear side too short.
But this one is largely better.
I tried to do one with the first version and it doesn't fit on the WW2.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #46273

Nice roof. I would not have thought of adding resin to stiffen it up.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Wild Willy Custom Project: "Cheep Jeep" 6 years 6 months ago #46284

Nice roof. I would not have thought of adding resin to stiffen it up.

It's not so much to stiffen it up (though that is a benefit), it's more about sealing it up so it won't be as vulnerable to wear, dust & staining - plus providing a predicatable surface to paint on. The "dye" job I did on the scale tarpaulin for my skip truck came out very well - but I'm not sure I'd want to chance it on something I've already taken a number of hours on.

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.