Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11168

I can't tell from that pic either - it's the left rear that got surgified though.
Just found an in between pic I thought I'd posted but hadn't....

Get a load of how bad the yellowing is!
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11169

Had a closer look at that pic of the finished wheels/tyres, it's the one top-right of the pic

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11172

Ah, the missing link! :lol:
Once more, top class stuff. :y:

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11175

That pic was just prior to finish machining/blending (Hence the step where the rim meets the hub)

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11207

Done some windscreen brackets tonight, just need a bit of making posh-looking before I fit them. No idea if they're like the real thing or not as the the shape/bends were made to fit. Not sure if the pics at the back of the manual are an accurate representation or not - the first pair I made to look like those didn't get close to fitting....

I've also modified the windscreen surround to look more like an M38 one (WW2 one hasn't got metal brackets, just screws straight to the roll cage, so hasn't got bracket recesses or drillings for the M2 bracket screws, just a pair of 3mm holes in a different place for self tappers I guess).
Somewhat helpfully though, Mr Tamiya wasn't that careful with his mould modification from M38 to WW2 - if you look carefully at the WW2 moulding, you can still see where the recesses & original screw holes were - made the mods a lot easier!

The replacement grille is holding me up now. Having all sorts of model-enamel related paint problems. Found a matt paint with a fairly close colour match. Thought mixing in some laquer would gloss it up a bit (Usually works....) nope.... OK, give it a top coat of laquer, that'll definately make it shiny.... er, nope.... Ok, well laquer is supposed to be a hard protective coating, so wait for it to dry & polish it with T-cut.... oh, model enamel is allergic to T-cut then.... why didn't I see that coming? This is reminding me an awful lot of the nightmares I had with Plasticote paint, do I have to condemn Humbrol & Revell now too? Currently, new grille is in brake fluid, ready to start again!
Attachments:

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11228

Still can't convince the model paint to play, so I'm calling the grille finished so I can get on, & making a mental note to never use the wretched stuff again
Attachments:

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11231

Oh dear, that's not a very good colour match :(

I think I used Humbrol # 86 Light Olive on one of my Willies - it didn't match the body colour though.

Looking through my Tamiya paint pots, I'd guess XF-62 Olive Drab is probably the closest match to the browny green plastic, apart from the finish.

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11242

You know what, I spent hours trying to match it by mixing & I couldn't get anywhere near it. It appears to be a military greeny brown to look at, but it's actually a brown with tints of green & orange(?!). I looked at the remains of the M38 body & compared it to the WW2 - M38 is definately greener. Having said that, the WW2 main shell doesn't quite match the colour of the other body bits either, if you're gonna be picky.
Yep, I agree, looking at the grille paint, it doesn't look the right colour, but hold it next to the main shell & it's very close, just the sheen that's really wrong. In fact, as a test, I painted some sprue to compare the colour, & once dry the only giveaway were the matt patches where I'd applied it. Humbrol 155 is definately brown not green to look at. Whole thing's making my eyes squiffy!

Oh, just for entertainment purposes, I'll announce that I'm currently stripping the paint off it AGAIN - I was doing the orange of the direction lamps, scooted over to clean the brush in a pot of celly thinners, & promptly side-swiped it, knocking the contents all over the grille..... needless to say, the enamel wasn't happy about that at all & immediately cringed & started to evacuate the vicinity of the grille, to which I exclaimed "Oh ok, I'll do it again then..."

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11243

Paint's on again (Paint on, paint off, paint on, paint off, up & down, up & down, paint the fence etc...).
Paint's still wet in the pic, giving a good comparison to how it would look IF I could just get it to stop drying matt. This coat is 90% laquer, 10% paint, ie flavoured shiny stuff. It's already starting to dry matt again, so I'm out of ideas now. Beginning to think it's the thinner causing it (You get the same issues using standard thinner instead of high-gloss stuff with self-mix automotive paint)
Attachments:

Re: Wild Willy M38 LWB basket case rebuild 11 years 8 months ago #11244

Well, here it is.....

Attachments:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.