Keyword

TOPIC:

58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #11920

For mobile users: WARNING - OLD THREAD ALERT! New stuff is part way down page 5 :)

Another ill-considered eBay purchase - this time a Frog I bought this morning ... obviously I haven't got it yet, these are the pics from the eBay listing:

:)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #11922

The Frog looks pretty decent, compared to the Fox in your other thread :laugh:
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #11928

Much better looking than the fox. I don't remember the resister being mounted on the gear box. I wonder if it would keep it cooler on low speed runs.

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #11931

...I don't remember the resister being mounted on the gear box. I wonder if it would keep it cooler on low speed runs.

No, it is right - the GRP plate screws to a small folded aluminium bracket, held on one of the gearbox through screws :)

58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #11935

I could have sworn mine was mounted to the frame. Maybe that was my black foot or brat. It's hard to remember things from the 80's.

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #11937

...It's hard to remember things from the 80's.

Dude, it's hard for me to remember things from 10 minutes ago :blink: :silly: :laugh:

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #11949

Nice condition should clean up easily :y:

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #12003

Car arrived in the same parcel as the Fox - with the antenna bent to fit, thanks a lot :angry:

Body is toast, it has a lot of damage on the right side (artfully hidden in the listing pics :whistle: ) & is just disintegrating :(

Otherwise, it looks pretty sound, but I think I better try & complete a few other projects before I dismantle this one :lol:

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #12083

...I think I better try & complete a few other projects before I dismantle this one :lol:

What can I say, having a manky looking Frog on my shelf was distubing my Sheng Phooey :pinch:

Photos just aren't showing the extent to which the body is mullered ...

Front tyres are good, rears less so, wheels will need a bit of work ... the biggest issue I have is the fact some gorilla has torqued up the 5 M2 screws on each wheel as if they were nuts on a 1:1 car :pinch:

The threadlock is excusable, that's in the manual ... but has anyone anywhere ever lost wheel nuts off a Frog (or any other car of the same era)? Front axles with the wheel still attached, yes ... rear wheels, yes, if the locknuts should have been replaced, but the M2 nuts & screws?

Note: I actually typed "licknuts" instead of "locknuts" there & had to edit :ohmy: :lol:

Antenna is bent & rusty, RX switch has badly spliced wires, and the same torque monkey has been at the fasteners on it :S

Screws on the RX case are rusty, and the antenna lead is bizzarely long ...

... RX plugs are very corroded :sick:

MSC servo is probably Fubar - the horn rotates at least 270 degrees ...

Resistor bracket, as mentioned earlier ...

... was hiding a busted resistor :(

Re: 58041 Frog resto 11 years 7 months ago #12084

I really don't know what was happening here - previous owner has spaced out the battery retainers with servo horn centres on one side, and by cutting chucks off the piece itself on the other :ohmy: :huh:

Halfshafts & associated bits are all ok, if rather manky ... rubber boots are a bit dry..

Battery holder pin is not exactly OE :blink:

Gearbox innards all look pretty sound:

Shocks are corroded, but seem to be oil tight:

Underside is more scuffed than the photo shows; bumper really needs replacing:

Front suspension tiebars are rusty, but that's easy enough to fix...

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.