Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13237

Drivers have all been glued, filled & sanded and are ready for primer:

Tyres have been turned over a couple of times a day for a week ... I'll just drain off the excess, stand them on edge & keep draining every day or so for as long as I can.

:)
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13352

I've been thinking about paint colour ... I think I'd like to do this closer to boxart than average - i.e. do it orange rather than red - but it would have to be a metallic or pearlescent orange, preferably a dark one... anyone got any ideas? Preferably from a common make so I can pick up a can off the shelf.

Having said that, I've already done some research & drew a blank, so even a 1:1 make/colour name would help :)

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13452

Been working on the driver figures:

Primed:

2 coats of all the base colours:

"Lowlights" on the Jeans:

... highlights:

... and a "wash" to even out the variations a little:

Belt, buckle, & belt loops:

The following user(s) Liked this: AndyAus

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13453

Moving on to the shirts - edges:

Painting edges for the "yoke" on the shoulders:

... and painting in the first colour stripes:

Stripes on the pockets:

... and the collar:

... and the cuffs:

Stripes on the fronf of the shirt:

... and finally on the sleeves:

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13454

Process repeated for all 4 figures:

Grey mixed in for the second colour of stripes, painted on at 90 degrees to the previous variety:

Overlaps of the two stripes touched in - I tried it on every overlap on one shirt, but went back to alternating junctions on the other three as I though it looked better:

Buttons, and hands (highlights, lowlights, nails, washes in brown & flesh):

Not too many photos of the heads as my camera really doesn't do extreme closeups very well - the process was eye whites, irises, retinas, clear over the eyes, eyelids & lowlights, highlights, lips, washes in brown then flesh, various dry brushing & washes for eyrebrows & hair:

No, I haven't been on fast forward, this is my _old_ Sand Rover, done last summer ... I have no idea what I'm going to do with the two spare (re-re, but identical) figures, I can't even remember why I bought them :huh:

BTW, I'm still impressed with the shine on the bodywork :D

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13455

Wow JR that's some paintingskill you showing there :) Really nicely done, impressed!
They all 4 look very lifely.

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13922

Lots of wet sanding and a bit of filling... another sand & in should be ready for primer :)

Attachments:

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13929

I've been thinking about paint colour ... I think I'd like to do this closer to boxart than average - i.e. do it orange rather than red - but it would have to be a metallic or pearlescent orange, preferably a dark one... anyone got any ideas? Preferably from a common make so I can pick up a can off the shelf.

Having said that, I've already done some research & drew a blank, so even a 1:1 make/colour name would help :)

Having thought about this a bit more, Tamiya "limited edition" TS (no number) Metallic Orange looked ideal - but only seems to be available from Hong Kong with surface shipping - and you have to agree to it taking more than 45 days ... you can see why I didn't want to do that as an eBay/Paypal transaction :sick:

Instead I've ordered a can of TS-73 Clear Orange, which I'll spray over silver ... a bit experimental so I hope it turns out ok :whistle:

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 6 months ago #13942

I'll be an interested onlooker to see how that paint turns out, since im trying to expand my skills and knowledge. Thanks for all yours :) Andy....
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Re: Another 58024 Sand Rover Resto 11 years 5 months ago #14495

Final half arsed update of the day ...

Tyres are coming along nicely;

Wheels are pretty gouged up, I've sanded the edges flat but don't seem to have take a pic of that :whistle: ;

Body has been sanded, sanded again, primed, sanded again & had two (out of three) coats of silver sprayed on - greenfly will get picked off after allowing time for it to die & dry out, then any marks sanded back :pinch:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.