Keyword

TOPIC:

Rough Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18369

Time to start my next project,

I got this one from my locad bidding page for a very fair price.
Alltough the seller stated that the car was used/abused and with a litte TLC it was possible to run again i was surprised when i got it.
I wonder what the definition of "a little TLC" is :huh: :huh:

Anyway, there is lot of work in perspective :

Broken front shock mount

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Manotas.

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18380

It does look a bit second hand ;)

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18382

:blush:
Sorry guys but what is "TLC"?

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18383

What you have there is the early Mk.1 Rough Rider with the famous upside-down mounting of the dampers to keep the oil in!
Great find, and a great challenge to restore.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18398

:blush:
Sorry guys but what is "TLC"?

Tender Loving Care

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18411

It does look a bit second hand ;)

Well yeah i agree with you...it looked much better on the seller's pictures. Anyway i think it's a nice piece of Tamiya's history, even if it's "abused" the price i got for makes it worth.

What you have there is the early Mk.1 Rough Rider with the famous upside-down mounting of the dampers to keep the oil in!
Great find, and a great challenge to restore.

-Lars

Honestly i had no clue it was an original Mk.1 Rough Rider...As i don't have much experience and i must say that i really don't know Rough Riders I'm very pleased and surprised to have an Mk.1
Initially i wanted to make it a runner usinf re-re parts to make it work, but knowning it's a Mk.1 i might change my mind. Anyway, there is a lot of work to do on the car, the body is in a bad shape but still nothing impossible to repair.
  • The front shock mount is broken (I already found an original Mk1)
  • The rear rims + tires are missing
  • Front tires cracked and worn out
  • Motor looks pretty bad (see pictures below)
  • both universal joints are worn out
  • electronic box
Well that's already quite a good spare parts list...It would be easy to reaplace them with re-re ones, but i think it's more challenging (and expensive :sick: ) to rebuild it in his original state.

Rear tires, looks like Hotshot rims???

Electronic box

Body, the rollbar that holds the roof is broken/missing

There is a part missing on the left side panel, can be easily repaired

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18412

There is like a half tube of glue on the electronic box.... :sick: :sick:

I had no other choice than cutting the motor wires in order to take them off :blink: :blink:

Front suspension

Take a look at the nice bloking screw, i don't think it's 100% original :cry: :cry:

Universal joints...worn out

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18413

At least but not last....The motor and gearbox...

It looks like the motor holds by itself with all the silicone that has been applied !

After a few minutes trying to take the badword motor off (i had to use a nylon hammer :unsure: )i understood why.

Anyway know i understand why there was so much silicone and glue everywhere. I think the previous owner used it as a submarine :silly: :silly: :silly:

More progress soon

Oh i forgot....this is how i want it to look like once finished

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18414

Sweet another Manotas build :) You sure have your work cut out for you with this one :ohmy: well good luck and as always I look forward to the updates, Cheers Andy..
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Rought Rider resto 11 years 2 months ago #18419

Yuck! That's a pretty manky RR you've got there :laugh:
At least the mounting tabs for the rear bumper are there. I've got at least 4 gearbox cases with the left side tab broken off. I wonder why the LHS gets broken and the RHS stays intact :S
There are a number of difference between the MK1 and the later models. There is a topic on Tamiya Club that lists them. JR linked me to it, but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe you could be so kind Jonny?

Those UJs are not nearly as knackered as the ones on my Scorcher! Between the two of them I have about 1/4 turn of play! I replaced mine with re-re ones - they are stronger and more shiny! I think it is worth keeping any parts that are uniquely "MK1" original, but use new parts for wearing parts.

Oh, I think those rear rims are Kyosho or something like that. I initially thought the tyres were Grasshopper/Hornet "Super Gripper", but I think they might be aftermarket copies.

If you need any gears let me know. I've got loads of spur and final drive gears.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.