Keyword

TOPIC:

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 8 months ago #29713

Bought this on eBay ... nothing I can't mend, make or fake - but if anyone has got any leads on a cheap bumper, steering servo plate or the correct drivers head I'd appreciate the pointer :)

ps these are pics from the listing - it hasn't arrived yet.

The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 8 months ago #29720

Looks good :y:

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 8 months ago #29742

Great find, one of my favorite cars! Will look if i have some parts. Will be great car to restore.

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 7 months ago #30083

While I had the caustic soda & ultrasonic tank out I thought I'd have a go at stripping the paint off the plastic bits ... I wish I'd left it alone until I was ready to do it all properly - now it's in bits & looks worse than before :S

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 9 years 7 months ago #30566

Tiny bit of progress here - De-Solv-It did a better job of getting the black paint off; I also tackled the wing base :)

Attachments:

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 8 years 11 months ago #34029

It's been a long time since I last looked at this one, and it hasn't got any better :whistle:

One of the front uprights was broken & had been bodged up in the distant past with Epoxy, but more recently someone had tried & failed to get the wheelnut off, and munched up the inside edge of the wheel in the process... I dremelled a slot in the shaft so I could use a screwdriver on that end, but it wasn't having it & I ended up having to destroy it to get the wheel off :(

Spare F2 uprights seem to be rare, but the F103 uprights also have some castor/offset built in so I'm hoping those will fit...

Broken windscreen I already knew about (I'll replace with a simpler bit of lexan), cockpit edge will get worse before it gets better...

This made me laugh - nice shiny solder, but not adhered to the motor contact at all :D Then I got a bit depressed by how much easier this car would be if it hadn't been fiddled with badly...

Chassis plate & wing bead blasted ...

... and lightly polished:

Wing insert was a cruddy folded bit of Aluminium sheet, so I made a proper replacement in styrene. End fitting plates are far chunkier than they should be, but then the holes have been drilled out from M2 to 3.5mm :(

Bumper is past use TBH, I've ordered up a fresh bit of GRP sheet & will make my own from that as it'll be a period looking substitution - the alternative is to fake one in styrene & I didn't like that idea as much.

I also have a set of decals coming from MCI Racing....

:)

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 8 years 11 months ago #34110

Starting on the wheel refurb - inside of wheel has has all the damage turned off & a plate of styrene the right thickness to bring the wheel back to original dimensions (minus the final rim & lip) glued on & turned back.

A Frog type head will have to do (& I'll paint the Nomex balaclava), but that does mean there are some big holes to plug ...

2nd styrene plate added to wheel, turned back to size & for lip detail; head plugs cut back & sanded ...

Damage to cockpit edge cut/filed square & new bit let in & sanded back ...

Filler:

:)
Attachments:

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 8 years 11 months ago #34113

I remember this one, great work Jonny :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 8 years 11 months ago #34118

Work continues, replacement "glass" is going to be a bit basic ...

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

58013 March 782 BMW (F-2) 8 years 11 months ago #34155

Love the progress! Nice sanding job, what kind of paper do you use for this? I think the glass is looking good :).

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.