Keyword

TOPIC:

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44176

Dude. Thanks buddy. I prefer the bruiser to the hilux. The king cab looks nicer. But I need to sell some rc before.....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44182

That's looking surprisingly bright for Mica Red ... it hasn't got any special instructions, like needing a black undercoat or something? ... Not saying it's a bad result, just that if you'd wanted Rosso Arancio, presumably you would have bought that instead ;)

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44196

Ouch!!!! 800€... I trade yours with my mrc 1/5 :D

Hmm, let me think about.............NO :lol: :lol:

And a vintage 3speed cheaper???

It's been a while i'm following this one on the swiss bidding platform, Ricardo.ch

Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by Manotas.

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44198

That's looking surprisingly bright for Mica Red ... it hasn't got any special instructions, like needing a black undercoat or something? ... Not saying it's a bad result, just that if you'd wanted Rosso Arancio, presumably you would have bought that instead ;)

After looking at the picture after your post i totally agree with you. But keep in mind that on the picture the body still needed a few coats.
In the meantime i had a closer look at the can looking for some special instruction or anything else related to the undercoat... but nothing except the usual recommendations and precautions is mentionned.

Once the body has recieved the final coats (certainly today) i will compare it with my other Mounty also painted in Mica Red.

I have also to admit that for this one i used Tamiya Grey primer for the first time... i used to use the white one but at the time i went to buy them they only had grey left !

Wait and see...
Attachments:

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44202

Not the best paint job but Mica red ontop of Tamiya white primer, came out more pink than red.

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44205

Paint is looking good man! I have always found reds to be a challenge, they don't cover well so the under lying coat always needs to be even or you will use up a lot of paint making it even....ask me how I learned that :P You can really have some fun by changing the base colours too. To get a nice rich red I will undercoat with........ PINK :ohmy: and I find if you want that classic bright Ferrari red the TS8 Italian red backed with yellow is a good way to go. My most recent red paint job ( on a smaller scale ) I undercoated it with silver to block any bleed through and was quite happy with the results. How ever I recomend a test piece first, follow all the directions...your results may vary, bla, bla, bla :P
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44216

Not the best paint job but Mica red ontop of Tamiya white primer, came out more pink than red.

Well, i'm not sure if we can really judge on screen the exact colour... but indedd it looks a bit pink.

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44217

I finished the paint coats yesterday..

After that i compared it with my other Mounty painted in the same colour but with white primer instead of the grey one.

First the front Cab:

Rear Cab:

I have to admit that the latest body (with grey primer) looks a bit darker than the first one.
Honestly i really don't know if somebody would notice the difference if there was no comparison

But i'm wondering how big the difference will be once the clear coat is applied.

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44218

Mica red is a complex color. But your second one looks very pretty. The only mica red body I have is my dad's king hauler cabin. It was his first primered body (in grey ;) ). But it doesn't give the deep effect....

58111 Mountaineer Resto (once again) 6 years 10 months ago #44220

Wasn't criticising your painting - more expressing sympathy that the results don't look anything like the name, cap colour, or the images that come up on Google. "Mica Red" ought to be a bit special, the name implies some sort of pearlescence to me, and the cap/other examples are all darker.... Not as dark or quite as spangly as Rover Nighfire or Ford Pepper Red, and a bit less sparkly than Citroen Wicked Red ...

I know I get frustrated when I spend time choosing a colour and it doesn't come out as expected ...TBH if you'd said it was Ford Signal Red, VW Mars Red, or even Fiat Rosso Arancio at a pinch, I'd believe it from the photos :)

Hmm, I may be a bit of geek when it comes to shades of red ;)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.