Keyword

TOPIC:

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42156

So here we go the start of my vintage Porsche 936 restoration. A bit of background, I have had the car since new as a Christmas Present back in the late 70's early 80's as I was only around 10 at the time the car took a badword of a beating in the nearby cul-de-sacs andf office car parks on a sunday. I realised early on that the body weighs a ton and slows it down considerably so in the later years it was abused chassis only which in hindsight has saved the body although it does have some issues (rear spoiler flap missing, lights cracked and broken/missing chassis mounts)

Unfortunately I took no pics of the car pre strip down but will update periodically with before and after shots as I go. Firstly thanks to the following website whose authors advise I will be using extensively plus thanks in advance for all the feedback and advise I recieve from members here.

www.blackholesu...-936-turbo

I knew before I started that the biggest problme was going to be tyres. Obviously in 35+ years they have degraded and will need replacing and Tamiya don't make this size rubber tyre anymore and I want to keep everything as original as possible but above all I want to use the car again and not stick it on a shelf (can't see the point of that). The obvious solution is to get new old stock tyres but I am not keen on that on two counts, 1) the price will be bonkers and 2) those tyres will also be a similar age to mine and will suffer a similar fate very soon and in my opinion would not be safe to use, this is where I consulted the previously mentioned website.

Hopefully I have managed to source a set of suitable rear tyres (Tamiya F103) although at time of writing the website that caimsd to have them have accepted my order but have now taken the item off their site so whos knows if I will get them, I did find some on the bay but the postage from Germany was more than the item!.

Front tyres are the problme as it appears the Nikko Ne14 wheels/tyres that have been suggested as a suitable replacement do not seem to exist anymore so if anyone has any advise on these (and also for suitable rear tyres as these may not materialise) I would be extremly grateful.

So that's where we stand at the moment but will be posting pics and updating this stream as I progress although if I cant find suitable tyres this maybe a non starter as I really don't see the point of doing this to stick it on the shelf it has to run again. Hopefully someone can helo me here please.

Simon
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42159

Nice car...
Unfortunately i can't help you with this as i don't own such a model yet ( :lol: :lol: )
Good luck
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42161

Maybe you could find the good tire size on a rc toy? In your supermarket???? Or rework a pair of 1/12th foam tires?

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42180

I would be very keen to see what you find and some up with. I have a exactly the same issue, In fact I have a set of 936 wheels too.

I can only offer 1 fact, 1 thought and 1 idea for this.

I am pretty sure that the static Tamiya 1/12 934 kit has exactly the same tyres as the R/C kit. I'm sure I recall many years ago buying one for the body and using the tyres. Someone correct me if I am wrong? They are still pretty pricey though at £120 + for one of those kits.

I recently wondered if the 1/12 tyrell P34 static kit shares the same tyres. I do know from a little look around ebay that there are sponge versions, so one would have to be careful.

The rerelease Countach gold wheels with treaded rubber tyres are the same size.When and if these come up for sale (and I don't buy them HAHAH!) they seem to go a bit cheaper than i've seen the old boxed 934 tyres.

Anyway, I am actively looking for 2 sets of these, so ill post again if I ever come across anything.

Rob

Last edit: by Purple_rob.

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42181

HA!, I've just noticed your name on the original post mate, I should have figured from our emails and the 936 restoration :).

Edit - I wouldnt believe 10 minutes after posting this I would come across this 936 restoration article. I was actually looking at his comments on the rerelease body set but he give a low cost solution for replacement tyres. Naturally it just depends if you're fussed on originals or you just want tyres to run around.

www.blackholesu...bo?start=2

Rob

Last edit: by Purple_rob.

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42191

Hi Rob; thanks for the link, that is the one I came across and referenced in my original post. I have looked for the nikko tyres (for front wheels) but cannot find. For rear tyres I found some of the F03 (I think it was them) on Modelsport and they just arrived, as the article says they are slightly bigger but otherwise should be OK, will post some picks and my finding later next week when I get round to changing them.

Si

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42192

Sorry buddy, missed that bit.

Dropped you an email on some time sensitive bits you were looking for mate. If you need more info get in contact.

Rob

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42370

I think that the tyres for the porsche 934 are the same as for 936. See Tamiya RC guide.
Check ebay, and you will find what you are lookig for. I have the same problem ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: warriorPA28

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42393

Thanks Chistof, the deed is done

Porsche 936 Restoration 7 years 2 months ago #42395

Well time for an update and the chassis is complete albeit way over budget. Already knew had to get a few things namely a bumper as the orignal had long since snapped, managed to get one off Purple Rob and the marks and scratches make it look like its been on since new so very happy with that. It appears a huge amount of 936 parts have appeares on the bay recently and must confess I was shocked by the cost if them. Anyway had to get a new diff and while I was at it it seemed prudent to change the pinion too as that was wearing bad as well. Tyres was a real find having got new old stock of the original items and was surprised by the condition of them and think they will give many years service, I did fill the rears with foam as always thought they were too soft and the grip has improvd immeasurably. I found also the bushes were completely worn out and also the steering uprights had snapped, another expensive bay purchase as had to get a whole steering assembly but as I only used the uprights I am hoping to offset a few of the costs by seling the unused parts. Finally the battery obviously was shot and got a bit invemtive here and decidd to slightly unoriginal here and got 6 x 4/5 sub C cells as they fit perfectly inside the old 6v casing and give me 7.2v for an added bit of speed that was sorely missing from the original (I was playing with shoe horning a 540 in but decided against it) plus as I have a few other cars all with 7.2V NiMh it made sense to stay that way.

All in all really happy with the results especially as the car is still 100% authentic with no alien parts

Now onto the body which is always going to be the biggest task especially as I want to keep everything as original as possible and as I am already well over budget I am hoping lady luck is going to be kind.

Attachments:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.673 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.