Keyword

TOPIC:

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42695

Thanks Jonny. Right, I just searched and found that there is a "primer". I had forgotten the word for it, I thought it was called "base color" or something.

Anyway I am planning on using the TS series spray colors, the motif or exact color I haven't yet decided on. I am considering the orange metallic as I really like that. The driver will ofcourse also get painted, with Tamiya's XF flat acrylics according to Jonny's advice before. I hope it will turn out OK, maybe it is a good idea with tinted windows .. ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by uncletom.

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42700

;) Film tinted windows

Attachments:

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42706

it ended up all crackly and weird.

And, what is that transparent color paint called that we use on the tail lights and indicator lights, please? Do I paint the glass from inside, or from outside?
I think these transparent colors are the "translucent" under the TS-chart. Am I correct?

about crackly, been there done that.

the color it can be lightbulb lack, works the same, but cheaper, apply on the inside, also, if you apply clear lacquer on the outside, your finish would be SPECTACULAR!

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42720

Looks awesome Sting, like a real space ship!

Meanwhile I've been thinking about at least one type of alternative tires for my WV bug, and I came across these beautifully rough rubbers. Anybody know what brand these are, and where I can buy such tires today?
Attachments:

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42721

To create some sort of continuity here, let me post some pics of the developement.

Here's my Fighting Buggy still. It is important to organize your assembly project, a system is needed for layout of components to make the workflow smooth and free from problems.

According to the manual, this time I don't start with the easy part like the front wheels.

When the engine is assembled I repeat the steps mentally, comparing it with the guide just to check if I forgot anything. Also at this stage I'm testing cogs and bearings to turn freely with no resistance or jitter. Tamiya's ceramic grease is very important. Especially if you want to switch to a faster motor.

Here, I couldn't resist assembling that large shock. I had been dreaming about it for days, and, when I think back; I have been dreaming about this buggy from the moment I saw it on a picture of the Super Champ in a magazine when I was a little boy!
Now I am holding this legendary shock in my hands, ready to fill it with oil. But I will wait, only a few drops are applied enough to allow it to move smoothly. I will not be integrating the rear suspension to its enclosed system just yet.

As time flies ofcourse I forget to take a photo for every moment. So you will need to use your imagination to fill in the gaps. Drinking coffee and tinkering about will create a timeless void, untill WHAM! it's ready!

... or not really ...

... *now* it's ready!

And now it's 'dressed'.

Get ready for a test drive!

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42722

You should know that I like my hotdogs with extreme amount of mustard, so if I'm doing too long threads for you guys just let me know and I will go easier on the mega sized articles.

I did say test drive, right? It looks like it wants to race.

Let's go racing! WROOOM!!! .. just a few kicks on route 66.

Whew! That was fun. Now a few pics of the Fighting Buggy details. It is a very exclusive and interesting design. It seems as Tamiya wanted to evolve the SRB concept to a new level, and ended up with this. I don't remember ever seeing a real buggy with one single damper on its back. If you know of any, please show me a picture, I'd love the see it.
Anyway, besides the unconventional rear suspension system, it's the same chassi as the previous Sand Scorcher and Buggy Champ (and that Ford) share.

With yet another small change in the servo saver mechanics. This type I think is more reliable than the previous, and has an adjustable spring that allows to set the force at which it will give in.
I'm using a large 6 kg waterproof servo from Carson, so I set the servo saver spring rather tight.

My Sand Scorcher has by now mutated into Buggy Champ so that we can clearly see how similar these two off-roaders are. They certainly seem to have alot incommon so I assume that they will drive about the same. But I may be wrong, I haven't had the opportunity yet to compare these two in the wild.

What design, what grace. I should be ashamed keeping them inside like this on my kitchen table. They should be outside tearing up the ground!

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42723

Not to put too much stress on you, I have been pretty dedicated to building buggies these past few days. And I've noticed certain differences that make me curious.

This is the electric motor type "540" I got with my Fighting Buggy:

And this is the "540" type motor I got with my Hornet kit:

My observation when rolling the buggy forth and back, listening to the sound of the motor, they sound *and feel* very different! Are the motors the same, or do they have different power specs?
Attachments:

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42724

Some things are just a big mystery. As with my Hornet I got these parts with my Fighting Buggy. They are clearly not a part of the design, so I assume its a part included for another model kit using the same plastic parts group. You guys know any model that uses these? They look like some dampers detail. Or maybe for some shafts?

Attachments:

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42725

It's not too late this fabulous evening, outside it's dry and warm, and weren't it for my battery still charging I would be OUTSIDE running my awesome BUGGIES!

... well, at least one buggy at a time. I don't expect my cat to be able to handle such advanced peice of equipment as an RC transmitter.

Are you guys up for some Hornet? Yeah you are. I've got this beast posing in some really crazy ways!

But first we get to build it. Let's open the box!

Hmm... mostly plastics. Cheap.

Alright! We have some metal! .. screws.

And I guess I must apologise again for the amount of pictures I took during the assembly. But you know, if I'd be taking photos every 5 minutes there just wouldn't be any cars built in Detroit! I was almost sure I took at least one shot of the differential gears, but it looks like not. It took me a while to get the diff right, it's my first diff assembly so I paid extra attention to the manual, greasing moderatly. Studying other Tamiya manuals reveals similar design in their latter plastic type cheap kits, so any future kit of this kind should go much quicker.

Motor, gearbox and transmission ready!

And the rest is history. I mean it's all plastics, my biggest problem was trying to not break anything.
Uhm.. those shocks there aren't really that good, I think. They look impressive but they're really just for show because I managed to bust the threads on one just by screwing on the lid, and then not being able to loosen it. Plus the fact that these shocks do not glide in a smooth way, but are sporadically uneven in travel. I did place several drops of oil into them to test them, and I was not impressed.

So after a few nervous breakdowns, we've got Hornet. Hornet is here!

I don't really like those plastic kits. It may very well be that I'm not used to them, but I don't trust them. It's too fragile. That shock really shocked me! Not to mention ...

.. this! It's live. It's conductive! Why spray the inside of the body with a conductive coating, risking an electrical short!? All that plastic, and now all this METAL! (I've already ordered a Grasshopper body to replace this.)

After a few more cups of coffee, we're stable again. I used some surplus parts from one of the plastics, cut one of the large springs in two, and I have new dampers. ;)

Nice and smooth they do the job the others couldn't.

UT's Buggies 7 years 2 weeks ago #42726

You noticed that wheels are from Buggy Champ? Correct. Hornet had the honor of wearing good quality garment a while before I decide what to actually do with this ... toy.

But I can't deny it has a certain charm to it. Just look at it crawling.

Up and down my printers it goes, watch the rear end move with the surface.

Front springs I've done my own intuitive redesign. I've since changed it again, using softer springs and a rubber stopper at the tops.

And this is how it looks at this moment. Softer springs in front, and wheels changed to the Grasshopper's. This is how it will trail its first test-run.

Which means that Buggy Champ finally got its original wheels, and it now appears as the true Bel-Ray Bullet - the reason why god created buggies... or not, god didn't. Tamiya did.

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.