Keyword

TOPIC:

Fixing up a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46514

Nice done!
The body doesn't look so bad. A bath in costic soda during several days should give you a result.
Be carefull with shock posts. Upper fixations need reinforcement. Tubing shoud be a good solution.
:D I never saw so used front tires.... On the first pict I though that they were slicks tires.
That is a nice chassis.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46594

2 spray downs with Sainsburys own brand oven cleaner (main ingredient Sodium Hydroxide), leaving each on for 10 mins has done a pretty decent job.
Couple more tomorrow and we should have a nicely stripped body :)

Attachments:

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46595

Good results. :y:

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46617

Couldn't do any more stripping today, so I decided to dismantle the car and see what was what.

Looking pretty good.

It has already had the plastic bearings switched out for cased ball bearings and the pinion is metal, so that's good.

Should the spur gear get replaced too, or is the original plastic one fine?

Shocks are squeaky and don't feel like they are working anymore, so I shall replace them with oil shocks.

Not sure what is called, but part C5, which connects the front upper and lower suspension arms and the wheel has been broken at some point and replaced with a part that doesn't fill me with too much confidence, so would be good to replace that too.

It turns out that the motor is an Ansmann Launcher 12x2 and the Esc is a Etronix Probe. Not sure if these are any good, but on the advise here I'll probably switch the motor out to something on par with the stock Silver Can (any suggestions?), so then I'll have those spare of anyone wants them.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46618

Actually, I'm also a little concerned about the cover on the gears. The plastic had distorted and not closing up nicely. It feels important that there is no gap there, is that true?

Cheers
Attachments:

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46619

You can replace the 12x2 by a sport tuned. It is a little better than tje silvercan. And the cover is too tighten
You could try to put it in boiling water to try to plan it. Sorry for spares. Mine are broken to.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46640

It lives!
Just took it out for a first spin.
Wow that's fast!

I will destroy that if I'm not careful. Definitely going to downgrade the motor. :)

Last edit: by Simianosaurus.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46641

That's always a pleasure to run a vintage. ;)

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46642

:D

Last edit: by Simianosaurus.

Fixing up and Modding a Bearhawk 6 years 5 months ago #46644

Hey, Looking good! but I agree 12 x 2 motor + bald tires = smashed front end! :laugh:
Sorry can't help with any spares either, but a bit of heat might help reshape that cover plate, be careful.
From somewhere out in the wilds of central Ontario.
.......you build what you like, I will build what I like........it's all cool......

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.